Personal Finance

e-transfer issues from November 6 2016 - anyone still having problems?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2017 11:54 pm
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER

e-transfer issues from November 6 2016 - anyone still having problems?

I did an e-transfer sending money to myself from my RBC account to my Tangerine one.
Long story short, the funds aren't in my Tangerine account and according to RBC, the funds have been deposited so they can't recall it. Tangerine says they can't trace anything incoming, only outgoing.
I called the Interac people and they said they've been working on the system issue from the weekend. (apparently things got back up and running yesterday)
So the funds are somewhere in limbo (interrupted transfers as Interac calls them)

I got fed up with both banks telling me to go to the other to resolve the issue so I raised a fuss with Interac who issued a ticket number.
I know this isn't the first time there have been issues with e-transfers and it's the first time I've been affected by it.
Has anyone else been affected, either this past weekend or in the past?
How long did it take for it to be resolved? Have I lost my funds forever? (thankfully I don't need them right away, but still)
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
No issues from RBC to TD today.
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I posted too soon. Issue has been resolved and the money has been deposited into my Tangerine account.
I won't be doing e-transfers for a while after this.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
I had a problem with BMO, because I was trying to transfer $3k from one account to another. I got some error like "Transfer error 0x0023".

Turns out there is a transfer limit PER DAY, and includes everything that gets transferred from the account, so when I paid my CC earlier, it used up some of that limit. In my case, it's just a limitation BMO puts on your account to try and keep transfers internal to the bank, but I can write myself a $20k cheque, so I just do that now.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Interac transfer was down for almost 6 hours tonight.
I never realized that service was so unreliable.