Investing

Early 2020 - are we in a stock market bubble ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 1:03 pm
Penalty Box
Jun 15, 2012
2537 posts
807 upvotes
Saskatoon
People that heavily invested in stocks will say NO
“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – Ron Paul
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8341 posts
1341 upvotes
The OP is like a poster child for every lesson on behavioural investing. He even says he knows he can't time the market... in a post about timing the market! Face With Tears Of Joy
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
141 upvotes
Absolutely Yes, it is a bubble. Anyone who thinks we will go up another 10% from here without a drop is going to learn a painful lesson.
May 31, 2018
418 posts
751 upvotes
Saskatchewan
The correct answer is nöyes, therefore I will maintain the 70/25/5 equity/fixed/cash as guided by my personal risk profile and timeline.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8253 posts
8587 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Tale of two markets ...the higher growth and blue sky tech names valuations are quite high. But sectors like Industrials have been completely in the dumps and left for dead. Some of these are cyclical but stable business that throw off decent cash flow and dividends. Europe/UK also hasn’t had the same run owing to less tech torque and some overhangs on the banking sector there.

Veterans will remember there was excellent non-tech stocks left for dead in the 99/00 tech bubble...and the smart investors were picking off quality companies while the others chased any name with .com. But you have to be very patient with value based investing.

So there you go....yes and no.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5070 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
jaguaar wrote: Absolutely Yes, it is a bubble. Anyone who thinks we will go up another 10% from here without a drop is going to learn a painful lesson.
Actually, as has been proven time and time again, anyone who thinks they can time the market is going to learn a painful lesson.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2294 posts
782 upvotes
Winnipeg
Early 2020 - are we in a stock market bubble ?
Its a definite maybe
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Jan 25, 2016
71 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That's like asking for tomorrow's winning 649 numbers.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1794 posts
830 upvotes
No idea. I have been contributing for about a decade. Would have sold and stayed in cash if accessing my account was easier.

I expect to eventually miss the top, but it's probably better than staying out of market all together.
Aug 16, 2015
551 posts
144 upvotes
Go 100% Canadian banks maybe. They don't seem to be a bubble at the moment. more like in the toilet. but have historically been safe investments. but who knows what's going to happen.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2379 posts
1903 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kilburn305 wrote: Go 100% Canadian banks maybe. They don't seem to be a bubble at the moment. more like in the toilet...
That was actually funny! Face With Tears Of Joy But true - and might get even shittier if the economy stumbles and/or the real estate bubble bursts..
Aug 16, 2015
551 posts
144 upvotes
freilona wrote: That was actually funny! Face With Tears Of Joy But true - and might get even shittier if the economy stumbles and/or the real estate bubble bursts..
LOL. that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. all that not QE money seems to be finding a home in Canadian real estate. We have FANG housing.
Feb 22, 2013
731 posts
583 upvotes
Financial markets can be overvalued for a very long time making market timing very difficult. Just look at the performance of the Japanese market. It's just about to turn the corner. It's been dead money for investors since at least 1996 as far as this chart goes back.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EWJ?p=E ... c=fin-srch