• Nov 28th, 2020 12:44 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 13, 2016
516 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Early Check in

I'm looking at going on a staycation at a marriott hotel over the christmas break. I've never requested early check in before and i'm not clear how early i can request. Will they confirm with me before i arrive at the hotel? Also, when do i request late check out? Do i request that once i'm already there?
16 replies
Nov 6, 2014
702 posts
1075 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Why not call them and ask?
[OP]
Jan 13, 2016
516 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I haven't booked yet. I am just trying to get a sense of my options.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4501 posts
3563 upvotes
Latebuyer wrote: I haven't booked yet. I am just trying to get a sense of my options.
there are no guarantees, it'll be availability when you check in though I would imagine they probably have vacant rooms anyways but those may not be ones they're occupying.

if you have status they will be more inclined to give you early check in/late check out
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
Latebuyer wrote: I'm looking at going on a staycation at a marriott hotel over the christmas break. I've never requested early check in before and i'm not clear how early i can request. Will they confirm with me before i arrive at the hotel? Also, when do i request late check out? Do i request that once i'm already there?
I have had Marriott branded hotels give me a push notification (I did check-in using the mobile app the night before the stay) letting me know my room is ready at 11:30 am, some as early as 10:30 without me asking. There is an option during the online reservation process where you can request the check-in time. I would do that then send a note to them through the app (chat) closer to the stay to ask again/confirm. You can also request late check out through the app via chat before you arrive, though without status they will most likely tell you it is based on availability, so check with them the night before you check out.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2016
516 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks both. There is one Marriott that will give a $25.00 restaurant credit with 4:00 late check out or you can get a 50.00 dining credit but no late check out and a harbour view. I'll have to think about which to do - I don't have status. It may be nice to have the guaranteed late check out, then try for an early check in. Good tip about the app.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4698 posts
1113 upvotes
Scarborough
If you read the T&C, they can never guarantee anything. That said, if it's available, they'll most likely give it to you, but you won't know until you get there. If you want guarantee, book an extra night.
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
Latebuyer wrote: Thanks both. There is one Marriott that will give a $25.00 restaurant credit with 4:00 late check out or you can get a 50.00 dining credit but no late check out and a harbour view. I'll have to think about which to do - I don't have status. It may be nice to have the guaranteed late check out, then try for an early check in. Good tip about the app.
Try looking for 4+ rooms on your date. If there is availability (though it may change closer to) then book the room with no late checkout and ask for it through the app. That would be my thinking. Or book both rates in separate reservations (if they have a 24-48 hour cancellation policy) and cancel the one with late checkout (if you really need/value it more than $25 plus an upgrade) closer to if you can't get a definitive yes from them by cancellation time. With availability they should be able to accommodate it though that's no guarantee.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35846 posts
9928 upvotes
Ottawa
I have requested early check in many times and have mostly gotten it. After a cruise or an overnight flight.
Thing is, if they give it to you it will be a "leftover" room. One that has not been rented like the ones on low floors or near elevators or stairs or beside ice machines or noisy side of hotel etc.
Late check out is different as it depends on how busy they are. They have to clean the rooms and late cleaning holds up the room.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Aug 3, 2017
677 posts
496 upvotes
I often check into hotels early. It usually goes one of two ways:

1. I check in and get my room, sometimes as early as 9am on the day of check-in after an early flight and time differences (e.g. YOW-YVR); or,
2. They have a bag room and store my bag until my room is ready.

I would say 70% of the time my room is available.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11760 posts
6688 upvotes
Markham
I would think with the state of travel, early check in and late check out should not be a big problem but you can call and ask before you book just to see how early is early and how late is late and probability they would deny you.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 3, 2017
677 posts
496 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I would think with the state of travel, early check in and late check out should not be a big problem but you can call and ask before you book just to see how early is early and how late is late and probability they would deny you.
With the enhanced cleaning protocols, I'm not sure this would necessarily be the case even if it is solid logic. When I was in YQB earlier in the fall, the Delta was only utilizing certain rooms and protocols were such that rooms could only be used after being vacant a certain period of time (48 hours I believe they said). I'm sure the whole thing is evolving all the time.
May 11, 2008
794 posts
345 upvotes
Vancouver
Like others have said, there's no guarantees.
That said, I did go up to Whistler a few times this summer and stayed at the Delta Hotel once and a couple of other times at the Westin.
Was able to check in as early each time, on one occasion I'd checked in at 8am.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35846 posts
9928 upvotes
Ottawa
dolfan1980 wrote: With the enhanced cleaning protocols, I'm not sure this would necessarily be the case even if it is solid logic. When I was in YQB earlier in the fall, the Delta was only utilizing certain rooms and protocols were such that rooms could only be used after being vacant a certain period of time (48 hours I believe they said). I'm sure the whole thing is evolving all the time.
I agree. Many hotels have laid off staff and only use a portion of the facility.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8534 posts
1412 upvotes
Vancouver
The Marriott bonvoy app is pretty handy. In some hotels you can check in via the app and use your phone to tap the lock completely bypassing front desk. I did this in Victoria. You’d need I’d and credit card on file I travel a lot for work.

They have a messenger app in the app and they can chat with you and pass on messages to the hotel. I managed to get early check in for my companion who was arriving before us.

Status matters and just becuse a room is available doesn’t mean it’s yours. That said their loyalist and most profitable travellers business travellers arnt reallt around so a nice ask close to check in and it’s just luck afterwards.

I hate that everyone wants me to install their app but the bonvoy is pretty good and I love the phone for key thing.
Autocorrect sucks
Sep 4, 2013
183 posts
202 upvotes
Edmonton
Pre covid, I often have to fly in early to meetings in Calgary. I’m
a titanium elite with Marriott and I can get room as early as I want. But I don’t always get the room type I want when I go in real early. The trick is, the room basically has to be empty the night before if you want to check in before 9. If you roll back the steps, they need 30-60 mins to do a good clean, change sheets, etc, the a lot of the house keepers don’t start until 8. So even if the previous guest leaves early, it doesn’t get cleaned right away. What I often do I to just ask them to hold my luggage, I might go to the gym, workout, grab a bite, then get my proper room

The good old days.
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: The Marriott bonvoy app is pretty handy. In some hotels you can check in via the app and use your phone to tap the lock completely bypassing front desk.
The only problem with the mobile key is when some hotels in Europe or Asia need a key to keep the electricity/AC running while you are away. I learned to always carry a couple of spare room keys for such occasions so I can still head straight up.