Real Estate

Earn back buyer's real estate agent commission - Become an Agent. New Humber College Course is now live!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 31, 2013
115 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for starting the thread, eonibm. Last fall I completed all my courses in about 4.5 months. It was really quite easy! This thread was a great resource.
May 5, 2007
775 posts
166 upvotes
North York
Thanks enoibm

I don't know how surfing through RFD forums led me to apply for my Real Estate license. Who knew.

Thanks for your guidance with this thread.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4332 posts
1068 upvotes
Hamilton
I initiated my contract APR 30 (yesterday)
It said I have 2 days from that date to complete my signup for the first course.
I logged in today to signup (may 1) and it said time expired.
I emailed them to see if this can be fixed. But I feel I'm out of luck. Been such a busy week I didn't have a moment to signup yesterday.
OH, well, maybe not meant to be.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4332 posts
1068 upvotes
Hamilton
wJUvA7ZjUFZ20WkwWGhxy wrote: Brutal truth - maybe if you can't plan ahead to fill out a form and sign up by reading the meticulous instructions as posted here and on OREA, then you're right that it's probably not meant to be. At least you didn't waste $575!
Nah, I read it pretty clearly yesterday. It said I have 2 days from the date and it clearly listed APR 30.
Reading, and instructions were not an issue.
Just juggling more than 1 job this week so I got caught on a time crunch.
This is why I would have liked the flexibility of online study.
I'll give em a quick ring tomorrow morn.
But from what I read, I won't even get through as people have had issues calling them all week for obvious reasons.
I wonder if anyone else got caught with my signup issue.?
May 5, 2007
775 posts
166 upvotes
North York
After submitting my documents I just got thank you for registering. No email confirmation or course signup

That was April 30 as well
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2878 posts
795 upvotes
sidshock wrote: Nah, I read it pretty clearly yesterday. It said I have 2 days from the date and it clearly listed APR 30.
Reading, and instructions were not an issue.
Just juggling more than 1 job this week so I got caught on a time crunch.
This is why I would have liked the flexibility of online study.
I'll give em a quick ring tomorrow morn.
But from what I read, I won't even get through as people have had issues calling them all week for obvious reasons.
I wonder if anyone else got caught with my signup issue.?
Could it be that you just happened to miss April 30th deadline? Could be a technical issue because contract says you have 2 days. Also I was told by a rep as long as you send your application before April 30th you are good to go. Let us know how goes.
May 5, 2007
775 posts
166 upvotes
North York
I called them. After 25 minute they looked me with Application ID and said I am in the que to get confirmed. Apparently they have had thousands of requests come.

The system of manually going through each application seems archaic. The Phone rep mentioned that they will be shifting through thousdans of emails. Ouch.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4898 upvotes
Here 'n There
I bear full responsibility for the huge backlog of applications at OREA.
Dec 3, 2005
707 posts
697 upvotes
S
afshaikh wrote: I called them. After 25 minute they looked me with Application ID and said I am in the que to get confirmed. Apparently they have had thousands of requests come.

The system of manually going through each application seems archaic. The Phone rep mentioned that they will be shifting through thousdans of emails. Ouch.
The RFD effect :D

I applied last Friday. No word yet.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4332 posts
1068 upvotes
Hamilton
rapashoo wrote: Could it be that you just happened to miss April 30th deadline? Could be a technical issue because contract says you have 2 days. Also I was told by a rep as long as you send your application before April 30th you are good to go. Let us know how goes.
Got a reply email yesterday.
My contract was reactivated and I was able to sign on and signup for the first course.
So they're accommodating.
Mskes sense. I'm sure they want our last bit of $$.
It is a private college after all.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4898 upvotes
Here 'n There
I have updated my post #1 to include the changes and similarities between the previous OREA course and the new Humber College course for those of you who are interested.
Oct 22, 2013
69 posts
13 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Thanks OP. After reading the update, there is some change with the way the courses are structured.

There’s an option for in class or virtual class / online classes

As the study materials are same I’m hoping the exams will also be at same level .

In what ways will the Humber course be more harder than the previous one? Other than the 2 simulation interviews
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4898 upvotes
Here 'n There
Ram421 wrote: Thanks OP. After reading the update, there is some change with the way the courses are structured.

There’s an option for in class or virtual class / online classes
There was always an option with OREA to do online or in class but it does appear that the Humber course has an online option that involves back and forth interaction, which they call 'virtual classroom facilitated review sessions'. They don't give more info than that about it. I am not sure how much better that will be than learning on your own and calling OREA when you have a question, which you can do now. I was only in one class for one hour during my OREA course and I only went because I thought I had to. It was SOoooo boring as it went at a glacial pace and many in the class asked stupid questions. I guess if you don't mind progressing as the slowest snail in the room doing classes, online or otherwise, might appeal to you.
Ram421 wrote: As the study materials are same I’m hoping the exams will also be at same level.
The study materials will not necessarily be the same although the subjects will be.
Ram421 wrote: In what ways will the Humber course be more harder than the previous one? Other than the 2 simulation interviews
- in person attendance will be required and you will be assessed party based on the 2 simulation sessions, as you mentioned

- you now have to complete the entire course before you can join the commission gravy train, before it was 3 of 6 courses, then 5 of 6. They keep raising the bar and this is obviously a trend

- the cost might be higher

- Real Property Law is woven into every course now, whereas before it was a separate course. That means you will be tested on it in every exam

- They have emphasized that there will a lot of additional focus on the transaction and how is flows. This was not the case before. You could just remember answers to specific questions by rote. This makes the course harder

- They didn't spend 3 years studying how to change the curriculum, hire an outside consultant to help design the course and move it to a post-secondary formal institution to make it easier! That is especially in the face of wide industry criticism that the course had too low of a bar to entry.

- OREA has been beseiged with applications before the deadline. People aren't jumping in because the next course is going to be easier (nor are they all RFD readers!)
Jun 11, 2017
138 posts
139 upvotes
lardiop1 wrote: MiniCram would have been enough for me. You need to know your math for course #1. It isn't complex by any stretch.

I'm skimming the textbooks and going over MiniCram for Course #3 with my exam scheduled for the first week of August.
Update on my end again. I had to delay the exam for courses #3 and 4 until last week because a new baby in the family.

I passed with a mid 80% again after about 10 hours of studying total. There are a lot of folks who seem to be having a hard time with exam 3/4 on the OREA forums.

I used the same strategy as my first two exams:

I bought MiniCram, read through their summary notes a few times, and then hammered away at all their practice exams with detailed answers. Anything I didn't get, I did a quick dive into using either the textbook or Google. My sense after writing the exam last week was that the sample tests provided by MiniCram are at least 25% more difficult than the questions you will get on the actual test. oh, and I did the sample exam that was included on one of the CDs the college sent me a while back.

I do have a bit of real estate experience having leased condos and houses a couple times. Maybe I've just lucked out with relatively easy versions of the exams generated from the OREA test bank.

Focus on what is essential. Ignore the fluff in the textbook. Most chapters only have maybe 5 key concepts that you need to understand, and if you practice using a resource like PassIt or MiniCram, and have a moderate level of intelligence I think you'll be ok. If not, just schedule a rewrite for as soon as possible and worst case bite the bullet and re-register to get two more chances.

I have found that you can usually narrow down your multiple choice options to 2 just by eliminating the one painfully wrong answer and then reading through the question and possible answers again to eliminate one of the remaining three. Assuming you did your job right, you've now got a 50-50 chance of getting the question right. The exam I just wrote had a lot of questions with five or six statements, and then possible answers agreeing/disagreeing with one, a selection, or all of the responses. Again, using simple logic, you can usually get down to a 50-50 chance of getting the question right if you remember reading through that section of the material. I also spent the majority of my time on the case studies, where questions are worth 3 points instead of two or one. As an example from the exam I wrote last week, my last five questions all related to a completed sale and had me dissect looking for errors. That's 15 points right there. You better believe I spent a darn good amount of time reading each possible response before making a selection, and consulting the actual form where a bunch of answers could be found in black and white if you knew where to look.

Anyways, any recent experiences registering with a brokerage? I'll be looking for something that has a flat monthly / yearly fee that is good for the odd transaction here and there but has access to MLS.

Thanks again eonibm for the inspiration to walk down this road. True RFD spirit if I've ever seen it.
Sep 16, 2010
861 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
lardiop1 wrote: Update on my end again. I had to delay the exam for courses #3 and 4 until last week because a new baby in the family.

Thanks again eonibm for the inspiration to walk down this road. True RFD spirit if I've ever seen it.
Congrats on baby and thanks for sharing. I am on my 2nd course and will take a break in the summer before going full steam ahead again. I had used PassIT for my first course and plan to buy again for my 2nd one. I think I should look into getting Minicram for my #3 and 4. Do you think its worth getting it along with PassIT? Or PassIT should be sufficient. I plan to go through the course at least once and then start hammering the PassIT tests.

Thanks again!