Real Estate

Earn back buyer's real estate agent commission - Become an Agent. New Humber College Course is now live!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 3:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8004 posts
1115 upvotes
TO
Gero43 wrote: I just took my first first exam, and I passed it with 91% Yay! I was freaking out because I was getting 50-70% on Passit after doing about 200-300 MC questions (40 at a time) but thank god the Humber test was easier.
For those wondering whether Passit is worth the expense, 100%, it taught me a lot of things I didn't know because I went through the modules too quick or studied way too long before the test and forgot a lot. If you took your notes and are organized, maybe not so much, who knows.

Now, I do want to get this license in 3 months if possible, I have a lot of potential clients. I went to University, i have quick study skills if you can call it that, however every-time I register a course, the next day I book the test and it throws me a date in 30+ days usually about 36 days (booking for mid July right now). Is this COVID situation or is it like this for every single course? 5 courses will take me 5-6 months at full efficiency of booking exams even if booking exams before reading the course slides . Any way around this would be much appreciated.
If you browse/glance thru the modules, only then you'll be able to add the exam date to your cart if I remember correctly.
Course#2 is a mammoth beast of a course with never ending modules, I mean my buddy who was aspiring to finish the entire curriculum in 6 months is still stuck on course#2.
Last edited by TorontoEh on Jul 9th, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Jun 11, 2017
133 posts
127 upvotes
Anyone have some experiences they can share about the OREA articulating courses? Any of them easier than the others?
Sep 16, 2010
842 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
lardiop1 wrote: Anyone have some experiences they can share about the OREA articulating courses? Any of them easier than the others?
I did the Principles of Appraisal because PassIT has a module for it and I can say that a lot of the content is covered in the previous courses. Good luck!
Apr 26, 2007
631 posts
59 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote:
If you browse/glance thru the modules, only then you'll be able to add the exam date to your cart if I remember correctly.
Yes, you need to complete the full course before you can even schedule an exam. Right now all exams are virtual and it only gives you an exam date a month from today. So if you spend lets say a month going through the course, you then book exam which will be a month later, in total it will take atleast 2 months to complete each course based on this.
Thank my post if it helped!
Aug 29, 2008
690 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: If you browse/glance thru the modules, only then you'll be able to add the exam date to your cart if I remember correctly.
Course#2 is a mammoth breast of a course with never ending modules, I mean my buddy who was aspiring to finish the entire curriculum in 6 months is still stuck on course#2.
Thanks. I did do that, I'm on test 2, first day spent 2-3 hours passing slides and booked the test. I just finished stuyding for it and did 20-40 practice questions with Pass it until I get 80+%. I assume I'm about 80% ready. Only 2-3 modules that get quite technical and it's stuff I almost refuse to memorize lol. Will see how my test goes on the 15. Not to brag about but I have a university degree, which makes my studying a lot faster. I found instead of 150 hours I put about half of that and will probably put another 10 hours before the test.

Is anybody here that did Course 1-2-3 with Humber who can share their experiences. How difficult was each test and what grade they got or how many times they took each test?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8004 posts
1115 upvotes
TO
Gero43 wrote: Thanks. I did do that, I'm on test 2, first day spent 2-3 hours passing slides and booked the test. I just finished stuyding for it and did 20-40 practice questions with Pass it until I get 80+%. I assume I'm about 80% ready. Only 2-3 modules that get quite technical and it's stuff I almost refuse to memorize lol. Will see how my test goes on the 15. Not to brag about but I have a university degree, which makes my studying a lot faster. I found instead of 150 hours I put about half of that and will probably put another 10 hours before the test.

Is anybody here that did Course 1-2-3 with Humber who can share their experiences. How difficult was each test and what grade they got or how many times they took each test?
That's amazing if you spent 75 hours (50% of what they recommend). But wow takes 2-3 hours just to go through like what 22 modules I think right? I'm on first at the moment.

Good luck on your exam. May I ask: did you study full time or working during the day and part time- I notice I retain a lot of I take days off and go through the harder modules.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

Nov 4, 2013
208 posts
159 upvotes
North York, ON
TorontoEh wrote: But wow takes 2-3 hours just to go through like what 22 modules I think right? I'm on first at the moment.
I think his strategy was to click through everything, register the exam, then go back and study the material. Instead of finishing the material at a regular pace, then have to wait 30 days to do the exam.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8004 posts
1115 upvotes
TO
contactgreg wrote: I think his strategy was to click through everything, register the exam, then go back and study the material. Instead of finishing the material at a regular pace, then have to wait 30 days to do the exam.
Makes sense. But have you seen the course materials for C2? Like I was floored with C1 55 hours or so but C2 is like easy 4 weeks of study if you do it full time like 37.5 hrs a week but then again, retention would play a key here....I've heard from several folks in the FB group that passit/mini crams can help you retain some key information.

Aug 2, 2015
261 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Wow.. didn't realize the deadline has been extended!!

In response to these extraordinary times, the OREA Real Estate College will continue to operate until March 31, 2021. The last scheduled exam date will be March 13, 2021 (extended from the previously announced date of November 28, 2020). This means that examinations for all courses must be completed by this date.

If anyone has exam material for Test 2, 3, 4, 5... please DM me! Thank you :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8004 posts
1115 upvotes
TO
ysg103907 wrote: Wow.. didn't realize the deadline has been extended!!

In response to these extraordinary times, the OREA Real Estate College will continue to operate until March 31, 2021. The last scheduled exam date will be March 13, 2021 (extended from the previously announced date of November 28, 2020). This means that examinations for all courses must be completed by this date.

If anyone has exam material for Test 2, 3, 4, 5... please DM me! Thank you :)
Man I wish I'd registered before the deadline last year before April, I realize now they've added the 2 new simulation along with the 5 courses I think.

Nov 16, 2013
623 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
Thanks @eonibm

What is your views for buying new house ( under construction) from the builder directly.

Does it makes sense to spend time and efforts to become RE agent just to buy our premier residence or work with agent to represent us and pay us part of the commission. I know it hurts as we have found the place where we want to buy house and agent is needed due to builder policy. As I understand builder will not give you any discount if you just walk in to their sales office without agent. Whereas they are ready to pay agents commission if we go with one . This is so absurd.
eonibm wrote: I don't have an opinion on whether the Toronto market is in a bubble or not and if I did I don't think it would be worth much. I thought it was over-valued years ago. It will go one way...or the other. There are too many degrees of freedom in the equation to predict anything. As I always like to say" "Economists predicted 18 of the last 4 recessions...." 'Nuff said.

As for why realtors are still around, that's because there is a demand for them. The majority of people, and that is likely around 99%, do not want to handle nor do they have the skill to handle a real estate transaction themselves. Very few people have the time, money or inclination to become a real estate salesperson just to save a few shekels on the commission. The fact the real estate industry still has a good lock on MLS is a huge factor. The fact that REBBA restricts commission structures that would help sellers is another factor. Also, it's human nature as most realtors on the buy side will shun listings that don't pay a decent commission even though that is unethical not to mention against the rules. So, if you want the most exposure you pay a decent commission. If you don't pay a decent commission your property will have less exposure and those who are interested want a discount as you aren't paying commission.

Having said all of that, the selling commission is showing downward pressure and there is also a slow move to cash-back on purchases but neither has had major impact yet as the masses haven't demanded it.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4502 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
vivmk20 wrote: Thanks @eonibm

What is your views for buying new house ( under construction) from the builder directly.
Does it makes sense to spend time and efforts to become RE agent just to buy our premier residence or work with agent to represent us and pay us part of the commission. I know it hurts as we have found the place where we want to buy house and agent is needed due to builder policy. As I understand builder will not give you any discount if you just walk in to their sales office without agent. Whereas they are ready to pay agents commission if we go with one . This is so absurd.
no. that makes no sense to get a license to buy precon house. the project may give minimal coop as well. most builders in gta do not give 2.5%
some might do 1% 10k$ or even 2000$

just try to negotiate decor credit. builders dont like to discount price but they will give you decor credits instead
Full-time Realtor
Aug 29, 2008
690 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: That's amazing if you spent 75 hours (50% of what they recommend). But wow takes 2-3 hours just to go through like what 22 modules I think right? I'm on first at the moment.

Good luck on your exam. May I ask: did you study full time or working during the day and part time- I notice I retain a lot of I take days off and go through the harder modules.
For course two, some modules are short and a very easy as they are quite common sense...there are a few that are huge. There is one or maybe two module that have all the technical stuff for foundations, walls, electric, sewage, wells, doors, windows, etc that is so damn hard to learn lol and will take forever to finish it. I worked a few hours 3-4 and then studied the rest of the day. If module has 5 or less lessons I do 2 modules a day, if module has 5+ lesson, I do just that one that day unless I take the day fully off to study in which case would be more.

On a bright note, I did Passit so many freaking times until I got 90% consistently on all the modules, except for that one I said before was super hard to remember lol and I took the test today and got 92% :)
Test was a lot trickier and weird wording than the first one. I actually finished and thought I may have failed, but I did great, not sure how lol. Test was also ******** long and like 70% of the questions had a NOT in the question, i.e which one is not xxxx... and have more background info, just like Passit, which gets you much more tired. I didn't even review, too tired lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2664 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: If you browse/glance thru the modules, only then you'll be able to add the exam date to your cart if I remember correctly.
Course#2 is a mammoth beast of a course with never ending modules, I mean my buddy who was aspiring to finish the entire curriculum in 6 months is still stuck on course#2.
is it realistic to get the RE license / courses done online within 3 months?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8004 posts
1115 upvotes
TO
joepipe wrote: is it realistic to get the RE license / courses done online within 3 months?
Others here can chime in but I one can finish all of the new requirements in 3… not only do you have to finish 5 courses+exams there are now two simulation week look sessions that needs to be completed and passed.

I think 6 months is also pushing it tbh but I've know some who've studied FT have done it.