Real Estate

Earn back buyer's real estate agent commission - Become an Agent. New Humber College Course is now live!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 15, 2020
1 posts
hi, I just register with Humber college. can someone help with study notes for course 1 ? I would greatly appreciated please PM me .
Jun 11, 2017
133 posts
127 upvotes
Finally got around to registering with a brokerage after completing my mandatory courses late last year. I interviewed with a bunch of different brokerages and went with Right at Home. There were a bunch that could offer 90/10 split but you honestly cant beat $99 a month, 100% commissions at $350 a deal with RAH. (Leases are $195)

Ended up registering with TREB and another board near Toronto to have access to both big MLS systems.

This was definitely a costly endeavor, but I've got a bunch of for sure situations lined up over the next 5 years for family/friends and it really only takes a part of a deal in the GTA to earn back everything you spent getting registered.
Jun 3, 2019
155 posts
119 upvotes
GTA
fizzerd wrote: @eonibm @trebmember Thanks for sharing your experiences. One question. Can you please share your input on what if I am registered with a brokerage in gta but want to sell a property in some other city of Ontario outside of the gta. How will the listing work in that case?
Hi Fizzerd, if you are registered with a brokerage in the GTA, chances are you will be a member of TRREB. If you are trying to secure a listing outside of the GTA, the property will be best served by listing in that area's board. If it's not TRREB then the best course of action would be to contact an agent in that respective area and ask him/her to co-list with you or send client to them as a referral. Ask your broker of record if they know any brokerage in that area who could list it on their MLS where you still maintain control of the listing, if that's what you are looking to do (long shot but doesn't hurt to ask).
Realtor® & Mortgage Agent
Sep 21, 2014
12 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Which is the easiest elective you guys think?

Has anyone taken property management?

This is in regard to the articling segment from the OREA program, not Humber.

Was thinking between Property management or Appraisal. As both have pass-it.
Sep 16, 2010
842 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
RFD600 wrote: Which is the easiest elective you guys think?

Same thought process here and I went with Appraisal as we had already gone through some of the content in the prior courses. Also, someone on here pointed out that Appraisal would be more helpful as an agent compared to Property management. Good luck!
Feb 22, 2009
148 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
ysg103907 wrote: Wow.. didn't realize the deadline has been extended!!

In response to these extraordinary times, the OREA Real Estate College will continue to operate until March 31, 2021. The last scheduled exam date will be March 13, 2021 (extended from the previously announced date of November 28, 2020). This means that examinations for all courses must be completed by this date.

If anyone has exam material for Test 2, 3, 4, 5... please DM me! Thank you :)
Does that mean if you didt register you can still do the old course????
Jun 3, 2019
155 posts
119 upvotes
GTA
RFD600 wrote: Which is the easiest elective you guys think?

Has anyone taken property management?

This is in regard to the articling segment from the OREA program, not Humber.

As torspiker mentioned, go with a course that will help you with your career as an agent. If you will be getting into property management for clients then do that, if not Appraisal is definitely more beneficial. As an agent you will be constantly comparing properties with ones that have sold in your day to day duties to your clients. Go with what will help you instead of what is easier.
Realtor® & Mortgage Agent
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4509 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Appraisal is more important.
Full-time Realtor
Sep 16, 2011
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Hey just wondering how you find the Humber courses?
I have 0 experience in real estate but and interested and want to save commission as much as possible.
I work a full time 9-5 but hope to do it online part time.
Do you think it’s reasonable, how long do the courses take? Thanks so much
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4509 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
eric4698 wrote: Hey just wondering how you find the Humber courses?
I have 0 experience in real estate but and interested and want to save commission as much as possible.
I work a full time 9-5 but hope to do it online part time.
Do you think it’s reasonable, how long do the courses take? Thanks so much
Are you planning on buying multiple properties for yourself and have the ability to get your own clients?
Full-time Realtor
Sep 16, 2011
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I’m planning to sell my current home to upgrade for more space. And thinking on 1 investment property in the future if budget permits.. so about 3 transactions in the next 5 years for myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4509 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
personally I think not worth your time just for selling your own home. you can easily get someone to do the list side for 1%. so will you be able to extract max dollars for a person that has never sold a house before?

on the buying side you can just get a rebate.

the cost to maintain your license in the next 5 years is like 1500 annually. plus the initial cost from license to registration is like 6k. plus time invested.

everyone thinks they can be a realtor and make big money and save money. the reality is. half the realtors on trreb do not even do 1 deal per year.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1714 posts
151 upvotes
oasis100 wrote: personally I think not worth your time just for selling your own home. you can easily get someone to do the list side for 1%. so will you be able to extract max dollars for a person that has never sold a house before?

on the buying side you can just get a rebate.

the cost to maintain your license in the next 5 years is like 1500 annually. plus the initial cost from license to registration is like 6k. plus time invested.

everyone thinks they can be a realtor and make big money and save money. the reality is. half the realtors on trreb do not even do 1 deal per year.
Thinking of selling my home, where do you find an agent to list for 1%? Or is it better to sell yourself privately? When selling privately do any agents recommend your house to potential buyers?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15050 posts
12375 upvotes
Richmond Hill
reggyDeal wrote: Thinking of selling my home, where do you find an agent to list for 1%? Or is it better to sell yourself privately? When selling privately do any agents recommend your house to potential buyers?
Lots of discount brokerages around and also FSBO such as Purple Bricks. I can tell you from personal experience discount brokerages are exactly that. I don't know about the service side, but as a buying agent is frustrating as HELL dealing with them. Communication? What communication. And these guys are suppose to be "selling" your home? I've had a few dealings with discount brokerages so it's not just a one off. And then there's FSBO. There's a stigma attached to it and usually trying to sell yourself will not necessarily get you the most for the home. Do you understand the market? How to negotiate? Have time to deal with inquiries? I've done a few buying transactions with FSBO and some owners have done a few and a lot were first timers with no clue.

I'll show FSBO listings, but if the commission isn't at market. You bet I'm negotiating that as well...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4509 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote: Thinking of selling my home, where do you find an agent to list for 1%? Or is it better to sell yourself privately? When selling privately do any agents recommend your house to potential buyers?
There are plenty of agents that will list for 1%.
FSBO has no benefit for some one that is inexperienced like yourself.
Full-time Realtor