Off Topic

Eat it if you want to': Filipino President Duterte lashes out over Canadian cargo of trash

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2019 5:40 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
250 posts
72 upvotes

Eat it if you want to': Filipino President Duterte lashes out over Canadian cargo of trash

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dutert ... -1.5107539

More than 100 of the containers were shipped to Manila by a Canadian company in 2013 and 2014
The Canadian Press · Posted: Apr 23, 2019 2:18 PM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

The president of the Philippines says that if Canada doesn't take back tonnes of trash within the next week, he will "declare war" and ship the containers back himself.

Filipino media outlets are reporting that Rodrigo Duterte made threats Tuesday about dozens of shipping containers filled with Canadian household and electronic garbage that has been rotting in a port near Manila for nearly six years.

More than 100 of the containers were shipped to Manila by a Canadian company in 2013 and 2014, improperly labelled as plastics for recycling. Customs inspectors discovered they actually contained garbage, including soiled adult diapers and kitchen trash.

Filipinos urge Trudeau to take out Canadian trash still festering in Manila
Duterte tells leaders to 'lay off' after Trudeau raises human rights in Philippines
"I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that thing out or I will set sail," said Duterte in a video broadcast by RTVM, the media arm of the president's office.

"I will declare war against them. I will advise Canada that your garbage is on the way. Prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to."

"Your garbage is coming home."

Canada has been trying for nearly six years to convince the Philippines to dispose of the garbage there, even though a Filipino court ordered the trash returned to Canada in 2016.

Last week, a British Columbia lawyer said in a legal brief that Canada is in violation of the international Basel Convention, which forbids developed nations from sending their toxic or hazardous waste to developing nations without informed consent.

A spokesperson for federal Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna said Canada is looking into the issue.

"Canada is strongly committed to collaborating with the Philippines government to resolve this issue and is aware of the court decision ordering the importer to ship the material back to Canada," said Sabrina Kim in an email to CBC News.

"A joint technical working group, consisting of officials from both countries, is examining the full spectrum of issues related to the removal of the waste with a view to a timely resolution.

"In 2016, we amended our own regulations around hazardous waste shipments to prevent such events from happening again. We are committed to working collaboratively to ensure the material is processed in an environmentally responsible way."

With files from the CBC's Catharine Tunney
Last edited by new936 on Apr 23rd, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25178 posts
3098 upvotes
Montreal
Mmmm.... Soiled adult diapers...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Canada have huge land but still transfers garbage to a smaller country.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3288 posts
390 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
test9251 wrote: Canada have huge land but still transfers garbage to a smaller country.
Southern Ontario ships garbage to Michigan too.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19065 posts
2025 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
They shouldn’t have to put up with our shit. I wonder what the pretence was. Did they expect us to ship them timber o Celine Dion cds? I can’t imagine how inept a government has to be to just ship garbage to a foreign country and expect no recourse. Here, take it or we stop taking your people here and look for nannies else where?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19065 posts
2025 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
martin88 wrote: How many of you actually read the details of how this came about? It wasn't actually the Canadian government shipping the garbage; it was apparently a private Canadian business in the recycling business who misrepresented their shippmemt and later abandoned the cargo.

To me the government shouldn't be responsible for the action of their citizens abroad. Saying this is 'Canada's garbage' is just sensationalistic. Fix your own problem, Philippines, and stop embarrassing yourself as a bottom feeding third world country.
That’s convenient. Washing your hands in it doesn’t further relations. That company should face some hefty fines and ordered to bring it back or find another location.

Wouldn’t you be upset if a Philippines company misrepresented itself and brought their crap over here?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1799 posts
253 upvotes
Markham
I don’t blame the Philippines in the least. The Canadian government needs to pay to have this crap shipped back, dispose of it ourselves, release the name of the CEO and company that sent it, fine the crap out of them and sue for restitution.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1799 posts
253 upvotes
Markham
loserga wrote: Southern Ontario ships garbage to Michigan too.
That stopped years ago
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1930 upvotes
markham
PCUSER wrote: I don’t blame the Philippines in the least. The Canadian government needs to pay to have this crap shipped back, dispose of it ourselves, release the name of the CEO and company that sent it, fine the crap out of them and sue for restitution.
this didnt happen under the current governments watch...why are they the ones getting blamed and being held accountable?...find the private citizens or whoever is responsible.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9641 upvotes
Ottawa
cardguy wrote: this didnt happen under the current governments watch...why are they the ones getting blamed and being held accountable?...find the private citizens or whoever is responsible.
No one is getting blamed.
Philippines just wants our mislabeled garbage out of their country. No matter who started it (and, by the way, it has been going on for generations as we ship our garbage to India, China and other places, on the watch of various governments).
Thing is, Trudeau is in power now and has been asked to do something for the past 4 years ( a Filipino court ordered the trash returned to Canada in 2016) and has not done anything .
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Mar 31, 2019
35 posts
26 upvotes
While we are at it, lets cut off aide to the Philippines. Im sick and tired of countries trying to bully other countries. This is just a huge propaganda for the useless president of the Philippines. All talk no action.

Side note, would love to see Cebu :)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
777 upvotes
centre of universe
test9251 wrote: Canada have huge land but still transfers garbage to a smaller country.
Don't Canada also produces killer Asbestos and sells to third world country's? From Quebec?
Canada has habit of doing wrong things and still trumpet as Honest and peaceful and environment friendly.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1930 upvotes
markham
callernamet wrote: Don't Canada also produces killer Asbestos and sells to third world country's? From Quebec?
Canada has habit of doing wrong things and still trumpet as Honest and peaceful and environment friendly.
but you still live here...if it bothers you so much...go support and live in a country that falls within your morals...or are you a hypocrite?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1607 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
I really don't understand how this is dragged on for so long.
It certainly isn't Philippines' fault.
Some private company messed it up, and isn't owning their fault.
Our government for whatever reason don't take any action to force the company to fix their mistakes.