Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2037 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto

Eavetroughs, downspouts, fascia, etc. replacement, Ajax, Ontario

Anyone replaced their eavetroughs, downspouts, and fascia? Do you recall what your cost was?

This is for a single-detached house (don't have the exact dimensions outside but it's about 2,300 sq ft) located in Ajax.

I know it's a crazy busy time for them but got three different quotes:

1. $9K from a roofing company. They confirmed that they contract out the work. Supposedly won Best Company of the year, etc.

2. $8K from a company specializing in eavetroughs. They do the work themselves and takes 1 day (measure and cut on the spot)

3. $4K from a retired contractor - received his contact through the neighbourhood group. Supposedly he has done lots of work around the neighbourhood and this was his specialty in his prime. He's now retired and doing it as a passion. He has 2 or 3 helpers and takes a few days...

Huge variance between #2 & #3...double the cost. What scares me is that, #3 might be too good to be true; of course, I'll be asking for warranty, etc.

Thoughts?
6 replies
Aug 11, 2011
749 posts
1202 upvotes
Toronto
Looking for the same.... can I get #3 contact? lol.

What material is everyone using?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9983 posts
4269 upvotes
Vaughan
Don’t like the sound from #1.

#3 sounds interesting if you can wait few days.
Oct 25, 2017
990 posts
1025 upvotes
Similar quotes for 1500 sqft 2.5 storey in Hamilton. Had one for $3k and three in the $6-8k range. The cheapest one was the sketchiest of the 4, I know he’d done good work but he showed up late for the quote and was either already stoned or super tired Face With Tears Of Joy

I’ve heard a few people have had bad luck with highly rated companies subcontracting out the work, so just be careful with that. Would be between 2 and 3 for me… 3
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13107 posts
4708 upvotes
Ontario
I would probably go with #3 sounds like he does good work and you can go look around your area to see if its good and what the owners say. We actually hired our window guy a few years ago to change ours and I think his price was around $1,600 (Semi home) materials are cheap its just the time to cut/install it took him a few days as he did a few other things but i rather have the installer go slow and take his time then rush and do a bad job.
Dragon120 wrote: Anyone replaced their eavetroughs, downspouts, and fascia? Do you recall what your cost was?

This is for a single-detached house (don't have the exact dimensions outside but it's about 2,300 sq ft) located in Ajax.

1. $9K from a roofing company. They confirmed that they contract out the work. Supposedly won Best Company of the year, etc.

2. $8K from a company specializing in eavetroughs. They do the work themselves and takes 1 day (measure and cut on the spot)

3. $4K from a retired contractor - received his contact through the neighbourhood group. Supposedly he has done lots of work around the neighbourhood and this was his specialty in his prime. He's now retired and doing it as a passion. He has 2 or 3 helpers and takes a few days...

Huge variance between #2 & #3...double the cost. What scares me is that, #3 might be too good to be true; of course, I'll be asking for warranty, etc.

Thoughts?
Jul 17, 2016
93 posts
11 upvotes
Dragon120 wrote: Anyone replaced their eavetroughs, downspouts, and fascia? Do you recall what your cost was?

Thoughts?
PM’d you for #3 contact info. Thanks
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes

Thoughts?
Re: warranty. Eavestrough warranties are possibly the most misleading. The actual workmanship regarding leaks warranties tend to be very short. The longest I've seen is 5 years some companies have a lifetime on installing material from the manufacturer but zero warrsaty on their installation, but the material is inexpensive.

In short, eavestrough warranties are in many instances not very good.