Expired Hot Deals

[EB Games] $29.99 Dragon Quest XI S (PS4/Xbox One)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2021 11:09 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2020
16 posts
22 upvotes

[EB Games] $29.99 Dragon Quest XI S (PS4/Xbox One)

Xbox version: https://www.ebgames.ca/Xbox%20One/Games ... ve-edition
Note Xbox version is on Gamepass too I believe

PS4 version says only available for pickup, but I imagine Amazon will soon match this price
17 replies
Nov 22, 2004
602 posts
1859 upvotes
Nice price, but keep in mind that the visuals are in line with the Switch graphics, not the original PS4 version.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2020
16 posts
22 upvotes
mwatcher wrote: Nice price, but keep in mind that the visuals are in line with the Switch graphics, not the original PS4 version.
Good point! Also important to point out the S version is also 60fps on both consoles, and while it's the Switch graphics, its resolution is also upscaled, so it will still look a tad better, but not as good as the original
Mar 2, 2004
603 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
i am still waiting for a sale on the switch. This game is perfect on the switch and on the go.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4571 posts
4344 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
mwatcher wrote: Nice price, but keep in mind that the visuals are in line with the Switch graphics, not the original PS4 version.
lol wait they ported the Switch version back to the consoles for this rather than just redoing the original console version?

Guess that confirms I might as well just keep the Switch version.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3330 posts
4467 upvotes
Edmonton
How good is this game. Just finished Octopath Traveler. Was gonna whip out FFVI on SNES Classic, but not sure if I should play something new instead.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2772 posts
940 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: How good is this game. Just finished Octopath Traveler. Was gonna whip out FFVI on SNES Classic, but not sure if I should play something new instead.
Apparently the Bravely Default series attempts to channel the good 'ol classic JRPG like FF6 and Bravely Default II just came out - take a look at that possibly?

Have not played any of them myself, but I do love FF6 and am currently working my way through Octopath Traveler myself. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7582 posts
3839 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: How good is this game. Just finished Octopath Traveler. Was gonna whip out FFVI on SNES Classic, but not sure if I should play something new instead.
I'm significantly past some event that demarks the halfway point in this game and I'm finding this game pretty meh. The biggest offender is that the music was terribly synthesized and repetitive, you will hear the battle theme way too often (including in cutscenes where it's sort of silly zaniness seems out of place) - you'd think they'd invest in making more than one considering the budget the game had. Some people really hate the exaggerated accents on the characters (the Japanese version has no dub).

The good thing is that auto-battle is pretty effective for grinding, so you can do other things while grinding for levels. And there's a lot of user-friendly features..... L2 is equivalent to X in advancing text if you wanted to multi-task (e.g. while grinding for example, you can eat with your right). Other things like auto-heal, etc.
Last edited by SoroSuub1 on Feb 26th, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3330 posts
4467 upvotes
Edmonton
dbdudley wrote: Apparently the Bravely Default series attempts to channel the good 'ol classic JRPG like FF6 and Bravely Default II just came out - take a look at that possibly?

Have not played any of them myself, but I do love FF6 and am currently working my way through Octopath Traveler myself. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Nice.

I really loved the mechanics of Octopath.

I played an hour of FFVI this morning and am totally hooked. The characters, plot and presentation are just so good... Can't wait to rediscover it.
Apr 25, 2010
218 posts
161 upvotes
It’s very good! Dragon Quest VIII is still the best in the series but if you like old school turn based rpgs like FF you can’t go wrong with this.
The switch version has mostly orchestrated music so not sure about these versions in comparison.
Oct 16, 2005
503 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks!

I've been waiting for this to take a price drop. Especially since I've already played and beat the original release back when it came out. I didn't know that the definitive version had downgraded graphics though :( making me second guess playing through this again. Who am I kidding, I'll probably still snag it if I can find a copy
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10249 posts
2808 upvotes
awesome game. its on gamepass though, i got all achievements in around 130 hours.

lots of fun.
Oct 3, 2006
884 posts
445 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: Nice.

I really loved the mechanics of Octopath.

I played an hour of FFVI this morning and am totally hooked. The characters, plot and presentation are just so good... Can't wait to rediscover it.
Agree, FFVI are the best RPG EVER!!!
Oct 9, 2011
629 posts
253 upvotes
Personally I like it more than octopath traveller. Great story, music and modern graphics :p
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2001
4216 posts
194 upvotes
Calgary
SoroSuub1 wrote: I'm significantly past some event that demarks the halfway point in this game and I'm finding this game pretty meh. The biggest offender is that the music was terribly synthesized and repetitive, you will hear the battle theme way too often (including in cutscenes where it's sort of silly zaniness seems out of place) - you'd think they'd invest in making more than one considering the budget the game had.
Which version do you have because the S version has orchestral music instead of the midi stuff. I played all the DW/DQ games, and this one was my favourite. I played it on GamePass, but for $30, it would have been a great deal.
Feb 28, 2006
293 posts
255 upvotes
I was disappointed by that, calling a version with visual downgrades as the definitive version is very misleading. What's more, they even took down the original version, so you can't buy that version and mod in the orchestral soundtrack on PC anymore. Maybe I'll get it if they ever release a real definitive version, perhaps on the PS5.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5198 posts
3219 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I felt DQXI was much better than Octopath. As a whole, DQXI is basically just JRPG comfort good. It doesn't take itself seriously, extremely campy and a ton of fun. They've basically distilled JRPGs down to a formula, which wouldn't work if it didn't do exactly what it was trying to do so damn well. The story is there, and its ridiculous, the characters are also ridiculous and their interactions are great. The battle system is simple but it just works. Even the midi sound (I played the original PS4 version) didn't bother me because they music fit the theme of the game so well. As do the cartoony graphics. Octopath tried some things, and has a very good battle system, but is heavily weighed down by some truly awful storytelling and thoroughly uninteresting characters. By the end, it just felt like a slog, at least to me (but apparently I'm not the only one). Neither are gonna compare to FFVI but that's a classic for a reason.
Jan 17, 2017
163 posts
236 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Personally I felt DQXI was much better than Octopath. As a whole, DQXI is basically just JRPG comfort good. It doesn't take itself seriously, extremely campy and a ton of fun. They've basically distilled JRPGs down to a formula, which wouldn't work if it didn't do exactly what it was trying to do so damn well. The story is there, and its ridiculous, the characters are also ridiculous and their interactions are great. The battle system is simple but it just works. Even the midi sound (I played the original PS4 version) didn't bother me because they music fit the theme of the game so well. As do the cartoony graphics. Octopath tried some things, and has a very good battle system, but is heavily weighed down by some truly awful storytelling and thoroughly uninteresting characters. By the end, it just felt like a slog, at least to me (but apparently I'm not the only one). Neither are gonna compare to FFVI but that's a classic for a reason.
I agree the story was a convoluted mess and ruined the game for me, not to mention the secret jobs needed to follow a specific formula to win unless you spent the time to grind to 99 which was horribly slow in the game. Octopath had potential but fell short, meanwhile I platted DraQue XI and loved every minute of it.

In short Octopath can't even hold a candle to DraQue XI.