• Jan 23rd, 2019 3:49 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
3127 posts
2765 upvotes
Ottawa
halcyon wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:37 pm
Persona 5 R-(ena?) is possible with the P5R announcement in March.
Nah, they'll probably do Persona 5 Arena. There's already been a trademark filed a year ago for "P5A". Of course it could be an Akechi spin off.

Persona 5 "R" is Ruby, the PS4 version of P4 Golden. Maybe Hifumi will be a party member now, and some other extra stuff.
SigBro wrote: As for the free/not free games, it's a lost cause for anyone trying to have a discussion with you about it because there's always a twinge of rage in your comments if one person sees it one way and you see it another and don't agree with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3549 posts
1176 upvotes
Batarang wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:41 pm
Nah, they'll probably do Persona 5 Arena. There's already been a trademark filed a year ago for "P5A". Of course it could be an Akechi spin off.

Persona 5 "R" is Ruby, the PS4 version of P4 Golden. Maybe Hifumi will be a party member now, and some other extra stuff.
Had no idea there was so much info already out about the spin offs. Makes me wish they could make a PS4 port of Persona 4 Arena as I never finished it (and like many of us, our PS3s are buried in some box in the basement or at EBgames by now).
Jul 28, 2010
886 posts
536 upvotes
Styleman wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 12:24 pm

I did do my research. In addition to countless news stories on the web, I checked a step further.

The download files for the DLC characters are only 120KB per character or for a set of 3 characters. For example:

Additional Character Yang Xiao Long = 120KB

Additional Characters Mai Natsume, Akihiko Sanada, Yuzuriha = 120KB

If you know anything about storage requirements, you will know that 120KB is extremely small and not nearly big enough to store the graphics and character data for 1 fighter, let alone 3. These 120KB files are merely unlock tokens for what is already in the base game (plus update patches).

Enough proof for you?
Well, your research sucks then. The DLC files you're downloading *today* are unlock keys because all the DLC character data was added to the base game via patches. On release (May 2018), the only data present on the game for unreleased characters was for the characters on packs 2 and 3 (pack 1 was complete by release). People on PC used hacks to play these characters online but they missed several animations and moves, so they sucked. People tried their hardest to find data for characters in packs 4 through 6 but found absolutely nothing. But please, go ahead and tell me that by comparing a file size you can know everything about a game's DLC.
Nov 9, 2010
944 posts
1522 upvotes
Montreal
Jotamide wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:52 pm
Well, your research sucks then. The DLC files you're downloading *today* are unlock keys because all the DLC character data was added to the base game via patches. On release (May 2018), the only data present on the game for unreleased characters was for the characters on packs 2 and 3 (pack 1 was complete by release). People on PC used hacks to play these characters online but they missed several animations and moves, so they sucked. People tried their hardest to find data for characters in packs 4 through 6 but found absolutely nothing. But please, go ahead and tell me that by comparing a file size you can know everything about a game's DLC.
Not arguing that all the dlc are in the initial disc I have a few gripes in regards to dlc.

I don't like how the initial pack was on the disc but was still locked as dlc.
Sure it was offered free on release for a limited time but it's frustrating to know that something you bought and own can't be used unless you give more money to unlock it.
Kind of like buying a lock without a key and being told to pay additional money for a key to use the lock.

The other issue was some of the dlc characters, even if they only have partial animations, were used as opponents with expectations that they can be unlocked later as dlc.
The two issues with this being it's a lazy way to release something incomplete and it's a way to rub it in your face/entice you of the character(even if partially developed) that's not available unless you buy it.

The last issue is having to download patches for the new dlc characters.
It lets developers offload a half-baked game with expectations to complete the game at a later date.
It makes the disc incomplete, so shoving the disc into a new system requires you to download a bunch of patches before you can play.

Sure other games might do similar, but I've always hated dlc in general as it was just another way for developers to offer you a partial game on release or to get you to fork extra money for additional content.

Random dlc that offers you a reskin/color change, I'm fine with cus content-wise you lose nothing, but dlc that adds additional gameplay are things I hate cus it's pay-walling part of the complete game.