Expired Hot Deals

[EB Games] EB Games $5 Fridays (February 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2019 4:06 am
Tags:
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10900 posts
17888 upvotes
Scarborough
The one Pop! I want isn't available at any of the stores near me. Haven't had any luck with these $5 Friday deals in a while.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
1065 posts
630 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
EVIL-C wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 4:39 am
Some people like to actually own their games, be they physical or digital, not have "free" non-free copies.
Yes, but this has nothing to do with what I said because EB is 100% doing this to try and move copies before it goes free on PS+.
EananC641158 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 8:02 am
I don't know how people think these pops will be worth anything in years. Near guarantee they will be worthless when the fad is over.
I have no expectations that these will retain any value which is why I have no issues opening them, and if anyone does they didn't learn anything from Beanie Babies.

A good chunk of what they release is the only type of "figure" you'll find for some characters/fandoms as well.
Last edited by chemicalxv on Feb 1st, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 4, 2007
483 posts
371 upvotes
Halifax
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:53 am
The one Pop! I want isn't available at any of the stores near me. Haven't had any luck with these $5 Friday deals in a while.
Which one are you looking for?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15676 posts
3934 upvotes
No Golds on special at either of the Thunder Bay stores. Ah well...
Dec 23, 2010
193 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't mind that people collect things that they like, but EB really shouldn't be neglecting everything else for the sake of Pop figures. They're clearly sitting on a load of inventory that even they're getting tired of looking at.
Public Mobile - 1 GB of data at 3G Speed | Unlimited Canada-wide Talk | Unlimited International Text - $23/30 days
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1079 posts
425 upvotes
no baby stuff this week, sucks. picked up a few nice items in the past weeks for my little girl whos on the way in a few months.
Got that Zoomer account!
Mar 4, 2007
483 posts
371 upvotes
Halifax
Kovaelin wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 11:14 am
I don't mind that people collect things that they like, but EB really shouldn't be neglecting everything else for the sake of Pop figures. They're clearly sitting on a load of inventory that even they're getting tired of looking at.
They're not neglecting anything, they still have tons of games and merch. But in order to avoid becoming the next Tower Records or HMV, they need to diversify.

I would'nt be surprised if the buy cost of these funkos was more than $5 bucks for them, if that.
Mar 4, 2007
483 posts
371 upvotes
Halifax
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:59 am
John McClane
Yeah those went pretty fast at Christmas. I'm surprised they're even running that one that cheap since it's in demand even after...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15676 posts
3934 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:59 am
John McClane
That one they did have. He's now sitting on my shelf along with Black Panther which was on sale today...
Nov 22, 2013
385 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
I would go get the Funko Pop figures related to NIghtmare Before Christmas for my sister's birthday but we are still in deep freeze and walking in this for me might kill me and she would not want that ... I think ... : S
Dec 23, 2010
193 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
cheruboo wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 11:44 am
They're not neglecting anything, they still have tons of games and merch. But in order to avoid becoming the next Tower Records or HMV, they need to diversify.

I would'nt be surprised if the buy cost of these funkos was more than $5 bucks for them, if that.
Did you even look at the link? It's ALL Pops except for four used games, two of which are PS3 games. Literally a quarter of the walls in every EB I've stepped into over the past two years have just been Pops. Have you seen how often they (don't) update their PC, 3DS, and Vita selections? When you look at other figures, they only carry a small number of non-Funko merch and in much lower quantities. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-Tracer nendo for less than MSRP. Every week, there's a promo that incorporates Pops. They're clearly sticking to a product that's making them a lot money.
Public Mobile - 1 GB of data at 3G Speed | Unlimited Canada-wide Talk | Unlimited International Text - $23/30 days
Mar 4, 2007
483 posts
371 upvotes
Halifax
Ok so? Supply and demand. They have lots of extra pops lying around and they're liquidating. Why would they sell a 20 dollar game for 5 when they dont need to? Its simple economics.
Dec 23, 2010
193 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
cheruboo wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:48 pm
Ok so? Supply and demand. They have lots of extra pops lying around and they're liquidating. Why would they sell a 20 dollar game for 5 when they dont need to? Its simple economics.
I was answering to your response, saying that favouring Funkos over other products isn't neglect. I wasn't even going to mention anything about money until you speculated they were paying more than they were making back. All you did was summarize what I was saying... so... I'm glad you understand simple economics. I'm not talking about their reasoning for becoming a Funko outlet. I'm talking about how Funkos take up space that could be used for something else, and from what I often hear in stores, space is always a limiting factor and not every store has the option to relocate.