Expired Hot Deals

[EB Games] [EB Games] Minimum $10 traded in XB1, PS4 or Nintendo Switch games. October 10 only

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 10:38 am
Mar 28, 2010
787 posts
250 upvotes
Vancouver
Any chance they'll take Destiny 2?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6945 posts
1685 upvotes
T dot 6
audioarchetype wrote: Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see these EB trade-in threads it seems like selling your games on Craig's List or a similar platform is a way better deal. Unless they're terrible games I guess...
It's always better money wise to sell on Kijiji or Craigs but going through EB you dont have to deal with low ballers, no show/ghosting flakes or morons.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1983 posts
1424 upvotes
Markham
Jaytee wrote: It's always better money wise to sell on Kijiji or Craigs but going through EB you dont have to deal with low ballers, no show/ghosting flakes or morons.
This. If you got an in demand title, sure, Kijiji is the way to go but for anything else, especially if ~$10 to $15 is market value, I'd just use EB and save myself the hassle.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Oct 1, 2019
15 posts
2 upvotes
Can the trade-in value you get go towards anything in the store? And do you have to buy something right away or can you keep the credit for another time? Never actually traded in anything to eb games before.
Jan 26, 2012
218 posts
338 upvotes
Quebec
I'd been sitting on a pile of games for months and I gave up and traded them in thinking this promo would never come back

bummer
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2868 posts
2492 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Always remember the TIVs for EB include the tax credit for that value as well assuming you're trading it in properly, ie. anything worth $10 is actually worth $10.50 - $11.50 depending on where you live.
Neo_ZX wrote: I'm going to roll the dice on this dropping off the turds for a TLOU2 pre-order; ND being one of the few companies that I don't mind pre-ordering.
Hopefully the holiday season will provide enough of a boost for EB to stay afloat beyond Q1 2020 but unfortunately the outlook beyond that is pretty bleak.
EB Games is in far better financial shape than Gamestop is in the US. If anything happened to GS I think EB could hold its own for awhile. Also the new consoles coming definitely helps.
Variability wrote: So the 3DS is dead, yeah? Need to unload some games on kijiji I guess.
They still accept 3DS games for trade-in but provide absolutely no bonuses for them anymore. I ended up unloading a bunch of games on Kijiji and managed to get no less than $20 for each of them. I suspect next year they'll start clearing them out next year assuming Nintendo *officially* discontinues the 3DS in 2020, which seems likely given they have no games announced for it at this point and the Switch Lite is now at the price point where the 3DS used to exist.
DougO wrote: These days they don't seem to have those very often, even when a lot of new games are coming out, like now. What we have is probably the best we'll get before Christmas...
It's still happening at least once a month but sometimes they do have qualifiers on it (like only for used).
Feb 2, 2017
717 posts
628 upvotes
I can't help but think how EB squander their brick and mortar status by not taking in all games. They could literally control the entire retro market at pennies on the dollar just paying people 50 cents for any game, but they blew the opportunity and now it's too late.

I sold Dynamite Cop for almost $100 a few weeks ago and it had a $1 EB games price tag still on it for when I bought it years ago from them as a little child! Should've kept taking in the games from customers!
Mar 19, 2013
56 posts
11 upvotes
Phatmatt0005 wrote: Can the trade-in value you get go towards anything in the store? And do you have to buy something right away or can you keep the credit for another time? Never actually traded in anything to eb games before.
Ya i'd like to know this too. If its a giftcard/storecredit is there a time limit it has to be used in? have a couple games i wanna trade in
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4321 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto
l1197493 wrote: I can't help but think how EB squander their brick and mortar status by not taking in all games. They could literally control the entire retro market at pennies on the dollar just paying people 50 cents for any game, but they blew the opportunity and now it's too late.

I sold Dynamite Cop for almost $100 a few weeks ago and it had a $1 EB games price tag still on it for when I bought it years ago from them as a little child! Should've kept taking in the games from customers!
They really never cared to do that and with good reason. It just doesn't make sense for them as a business model. All those old games take up shelf space and have very specific markets. I've gotten a few rare games cheap over the years because they're literally sitting on something to obscure to sell. Those games tend to do better in online markets because the buyer can be anywhere. Regardless, there isn't enough volume in those old games for a company the size of EB to even give a shit and collectors were never going to frequent a massive chain for these things, when specialty stores for retro games already existed before EB got big.
Feb 2, 2017
717 posts
628 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: They really never cared to do that and with good reason. It just doesn't make sense for them as a business model. All those old games take up shelf space and have very specific markets. I've gotten a few rare games cheap over the years because they're literally sitting on something to obscure to sell. Those games tend to do better in online markets because the buyer can be anywhere. Regardless, there isn't enough volume in those old games for a company the size of EB to even give a shit and collectors were never going to frequent a massive chain for these things, when specialty stores for retro games already existed before EB got big.
I think that's why they are where they are.

For instance you have Best Buy that buys and sells used video games but that's only a very small percentage of what they do

Then you have EB that has basically turned (or trying to turn) into a toy/electronics store like Best Buy instead of trying to be EB, a video games store

EB has a huge advantage if they stick to what they do since they have many brick mortar locations to take in stock and to sell stock currently taking up space by Funco or whatever those big head toys are. Trying to be something you're not just make operating less efficient. Video games for the most part are probably the easiest things to store because of their conformity, most of the cases are identical in size and shape
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4321 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto
l1197493 wrote: I think that's why they are where they are.

For instance you have Best Buy that buys and sells used video games but that's only a very small percentage of what they do

Then you have EB that has basically turned (or trying to turn) into a toy/electronics store like Best Buy instead of trying to be EB, a video games store

EB has a huge advantage if they stick to what they do since they have many brick mortar locations to take in stock and to sell stock currently taking up space by Funco or whatever those big head toys are. Trying to be something you're not just make operating less efficient. Video games for the most part are probably the easiest things to store because of their conformity, most of the cases are identical in size and shape
It's not about storage, it's about demand and supply often not being in the same location. Why would I drive to different EB stores trying to track down a game when I can literally just go on Ebay and buy it. Simply put, selling old used games leads to very inconsistent cash flow, they'll be sitting on many of them for years on end. Hell, EB is having trouble liquidating the last of their 360/PS3/Wii stock, I imagine there was a bunch of older PS2/XBX/GC games they just wrote off because they never were able to move it. Furthermore, selling video games as physical assets is becoming less profitable as a higher percentage of gamers go digital. If EB decided to stick with only selling games, they'll be dead within the decade. Funkos and other memorabilia are high revenue items, more so than video games, and if they are moving them in reasonable quantities, it's a good direction for the company staying profitable.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2227 posts
567 upvotes
Ontario
Time for EB to stock up for Xmas and get somebody to buy an old game they didn't want!!!!
Feb 2, 2017
717 posts
628 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: It's not about storage, it's about demand and supply often not being in the same location. Why would I drive to different EB stores trying to track down a game when I can literally just go on Ebay and buy it. Simply put, selling old used games leads to very inconsistent cash flow, they'll be sitting on many of them for years on end. Hell, EB is having trouble liquidating the last of their 360/PS3/Wii stock, I imagine there was a bunch of older PS2/XBX/GC games they just wrote off because they never were able to move it. Furthermore, selling video games as physical assets is becoming less profitable as a higher percentage of gamers go digital. If EB decided to stick with only selling games, they'll be dead within the decade. Funkos and other memorabilia are high revenue items, more so than video games, and if they are moving them in reasonable quantities, it's a good direction for the company staying profitable.
It's just logistics, many stores already do that where things get delivered to a specific store for anyone or get sold when taken in from a specific location. For instance Goodwill and the Salvation Army even do this and their stuff is way more inconsistent
Also EB are paying pennies on the dollar so no one can undercut them for any sustained period in their niche

The cash flow would be amazing! You can see the stock prices from when they were just selling video games until when they brought in toys and gadgets and it's night and day. That is why they are failing now, not because bringing in toys is better, it's because its worse
I bought a Google tablet from EB Games for $100 under market value and the box was so dusty, I felt like a paleontologist clearing fossils! Operating like this isn't efficient and the stock value shows it

You probably have normal consumers bringing in cases of 20-30 SNES games or something and will take 50 cents a cartridge at EB. And these game literally sell instantly.
Even newer games like NCAA 14 for 360 is instant free money with 95% gross margin. there's no way you're gonna get that with those Funcos toys

In Ma and Pa retro video store people are gonna know what they're bringing in cause its more specialized to that genre, you wouldn't be able to get as good a deal. Also they have at the most 2-3 stores, not hundreds or thousands.

EB basically has an absolute advantage vs a comparative advantage they're not taking advantage of!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4321 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto
l1197493 wrote: It's just logistics, many stores already do that where things get delivered to a specific store for anyone or get sold when taken in from a specific location. For instance Goodwill and the Salvation Army even do this and their stuff is way more inconsistent
Also EB are paying pennies on the dollar so no one can undercut them for any sustained period in their niche

The cash flow would be amazing! You can see the stock prices from when they were just selling video games until when they brought in toys and gadgets and it's night and day. That is why they are failing now, not because bringing in toys is better, it's because its worse
I bought a Google tablet from EB Games for $100 under market value and the box was so dusty, I felt like a paleontologist clearing fossils! Operating like this isn't efficient and the stock value shows it

You probably have normal consumers bringing in cases of 20-30 SNES games or something and will take 50 cents a cartridge at EB. And these game literally sell instantly.
Even newer games like NCAA 14 for 360 is instant free money with 95% gross margin. there's no way you're gonna get that with those Funcos toys

In Ma and Pa retro video store people are gonna know what they're bringing in cause its more specialized to that genre, you wouldn't be able to get as good a deal. Also they have at the most 2-3 stores, not hundreds or thousands.

EB basically has an absolute advantage vs a comparative advantage they're not taking advantage of!
First of all, you are seriously conflating correlation and causation. You are implying that the stock is falling because they started shifting away from games when it's just as plausible that they are shifting away from games because the cash flow was becoming an issue. It hasn't helped that in that time frame, we've seen the rise of eCommerce, which EB badly lags behind in, and the increase in digital game sales. I'm not saying either argument is right because we don't know but it's pointless to actually speculate on that front.

Secondly, you assume EB isn't already sitting on a mountain of unsellable old games, adding to that is the games that people are dumping by the boxload, the bulk majority of it will simply never sell, old games move in very small quantities. It's not about margins, the margins would be great, it's about the volume of transactions not being great enough to justify such a business model. Also, who gives a **** about gross margin %, EB is going to make more money selling a single Funko than they are selling NCAA 14 as part of a buy 1, get 4 free deal.

Finally, those specialty stores are few and far between for a reason. You act as if there is this huge market for old games but it has become more of a niche market over the years. The reason these games become expensive is because the velocity of transactions for any given game is nearly zero. The existence of digital shops for old games compounds this. People who are looking for physical copies of old games specifically seek out specialty stores, the more of them there are, the less profitable they become. EB could integrate it into their business model but most of those profits would spread thin over a very large chain.

PS we get it, you took an intro Economics course. Now stop using terms you don't fully understand Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes