Expired Hot Deals

[EB Games] EB games Monopoly $5 Fridays (January 18, 2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 10:25 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16346 posts
4464 upvotes
Picked up 2X Nightmare Before Christmas, 1 COD Black Ops 4 and 1 Riverdale Monopolies. Picked up a couple Funkos including Agent Coulson and Lola. Good deal but wickedly cold up here in Thunder Bay at -25C less the windchill. Walking around between the 2 stores (about a block apart) can be hazardous to your health!
Nov 19, 2017
560 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
$5 or not, are these Monopoly games even worth it? The Mario ones I can make sense of (to a degree) but I cant wrap my head around a Riverdale or COD monopoly. Anyone play them before that can give a quick review?
Oct 20, 2009
38 posts
7 upvotes
Picked up Riverdale and nightmare before Christmas at ironwood location in Richmond BC. Still have 2 black ops copies on the shelf.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1289 posts
849 upvotes
St Catharines
ph00p wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:39 am
Themed Monopoly games are lower effort/more soulless than Funko Pop dolls, and thats saying something.
I agree, especially regarding the more recent ones. I picked up Monopoly Gamer during the Walmart sale a while back, and the overall quality is lacking. I bought SpongeBob Monopoly around 10 years ago and it's quite a bit nicer in comparison.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
1841 posts
1418 upvotes
GTA
OVOSound wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:11 pm
$5 or not, are these Monopoly games even worth it? The Mario ones I can make sense of (to a degree) but I cant wrap my head around a Riverdale or COD monopoly. Anyone play them before that can give a quick review?
Mario gamer edition is different but most of the versions are essentially the same. The properties and tokens are different and the chance and community chest cards are a bit different but the gameplay is the same. Just pick the theme you like the most. I got Whoville-opoly years ago at TRU. It has a grinch cave instead of a jail and tokens like the grinch, max, roastbeast, the 3x heart and cindy lou who.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13882 posts
4091 upvotes
Montreal
OVOSound wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:11 pm
$5 or not, are these Monopoly games even worth it?
I only bought these as presents for fans of the properties, as that's who they're meant for.

No idea why I bought the Deadpool game other than "it was $5 and I was buying the Monopoly games anyway". :facepalm:
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Sep 5, 2014
262 posts
242 upvotes
Edmonton, ab
Good deal, but too cold to go out right now for Monopoly
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1622 posts
728 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:18 pm
I only bought these as presents for fans of the properties, as that's who they're meant for.

No idea why I bought the Deadpool game other than "it was $5 and I was buying the Monopoly games anyway". :facepalm:
RFD effect. I have bought so many things I didnt need over the years
Got that Zoomer account!
Feb 10, 2006
685 posts
318 upvotes
Winnipeg
The one thing I wanted was the James Bond Rides Funko Pop, but it's OOS in Winnipeg. I've been wanting it for months, but wasn't willing to spend $30 on it. Le Sigh...
Sep 12, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
MARKHAM
damn, i would have loved the "agent coulson and lola" one.. i guess it was store specific.
Feb 28, 2007
28 posts
13 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:57 am
FWIW I stilll haven't received the Funco's I ordered over a month ago (Dec 15 irc) on the last posted Friday deal. Between EB taking weeks to fulfill the order and Purolator sending it in circles, who knows what's going on. I got my tracking code last Friday.
I received all 12 of mine on Dec 24th (thankfully I paid for the expedited shipping, they were for the wife/kids), although the Witch King had a broken sword.. wonder why yours is taking so long :(
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
1841 posts
1418 upvotes
GTA
MorrisSmit wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 6:59 pm
damn, i would have loved the "agent coulson and lola" one.. i guess it was store specific.
These were on clearance for $20 back in 2016. I'm surprised there was one still around.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5019 upvotes
UND3AD wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:55 am
I meant like the actual going prices haha. I don't think they're 49.99 each...
The MSRP on these is actually $50, as it says. Even on good sales/discounts I doubt you'd get them for less than $35. On Amazon, the Nightmare Before Christmas version is going for $40. $5.00 is an absolute steal.

A couple years ago I got the Hot Topic version of that one for pretty darn cheap because I was able to combine some Hot Topic promos (which you can do from time to time) but still wasn't as good as $5.00!
May 22, 2015
807 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
zaltec wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:39 pm
I received all 12 of mine on Dec 24th (thankfully I paid for the expedited shipping, they were for the wife/kids), although the Witch King had a broken sword.. wonder why yours is taking so long :(
I have a feeling they oversold them and had to cancel a bunch. I placed my order fairly late into Friday when almost everything was out of stock. I had 3 of my 8 cancelled, the remaining 5 are coming in 2 separate shipments - the first of which arrived today. I have no idea how EB made money off that transaction, the shipping cost them more than the value of the purchase. They'd have made more money just throwing them in the trash.

It's almost like they were pulling them out of individual stores instead of just listing their inventory from the warehouse. So everything got shipped back to Mississagua and they probably ended up waiting for a few of the rarer ones to trickle in. I'm sure Christmas didn't help things either.