• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2020 7:30 pm
[OP]
Apr 18, 2018
61 posts
39 upvotes

[EB Games] Jan. 9 only Trade in Nintendo Switch for $300 credit

From their trade in offers.

Does anyone know if you can still use the credit for pre-orders, then cancel them thus saving the sales tax for future use?
139 replies
Apr 20, 2006
72 posts
64 upvotes
Would there be a benefit of trading in my launch day bought Switch and getting a new one for the difference in price?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2736 posts
1739 upvotes
abdlc wrote: Would there be a benefit of trading in my launch day bought Switch and getting a new one for the difference in price?
The new one comes with an upgraded chip that greatly improves battery life. I could be wrong but I think it also has an better screen.

The new one would have a new warranty as well, and come with new joycons etc....

I think it isn't a bad idea and I would do it if I had a launch day one.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3300 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
abdlc wrote: Would there be a benefit of trading in my launch day bought Switch and getting a new one for the difference in price?
New one has better battery life so depends if you want that, also new one year warranty.
Oct 15, 2014
443 posts
103 upvotes
Markham, ON
The new switch has increase battery life due to improvement in efficiency and a slightly different panel was used for the screen. The battery isn't actually bigger.

If battery life really matters to you the $100+tax difference is pretty worth it. Depending on the game the difference is around 20-40% better battery.

You do lose the option to use homebrew software on the new switch. If that matters to you.
Last edited by lins123 on Jan 8th, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 7, 2013
218 posts
100 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
was thinking the same thing.... $100 for a new under-warranty console with better battery life.

How can we for sure confirm the new consoles have the better battery life?
Mar 20, 2015
58 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
In my opinion, there's no real benefit besides the battery life ...I also have a launch day switch but use it mostly docked. So it's really up to how often you use it on the go and undocked.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8185 posts
2813 upvotes
Toronto
Third Eye wrote: The new one comes with an upgraded chip that greatly improves battery life. I could be wrong but I think it also has an better screen.

The new one would have a new warranty as well, and come with new joycons etc....

I think it isn't a bad idea and I would do it if I had a launch day one.
Any idea if the Let's go Pikachu edition is a new chip?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4801 posts
2714 upvotes
Toronto
Resell market for day one Switches isn't half bad because they have an unpatchable exploit.
Aug 3, 2014
109 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
Biggest thing you lose is the ability to install homebrew & emulators once the device reaches EOL (there's newer methods supposedly available for new switch models & lite but those aren't public). Most switches sold in the early launch window of the console's release will be moddable as well, so there's a high chance yours is also moddable.
Last edited by marilleo on Jan 8th, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.