Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
EB Games

Jan. 9 only Trade in Nintendo Switch for $300 credit

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2020 7:30 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Styleman wrote: A few simple facts regarding exploitable "launch Switches":

Note: This is not an endorsement for piracy, just a PSA for those who are interested or even mildly curious.

1) Roughly the first 10 million Switches produced are exploitable. The exploit is based on a hardware security flaw meaning it can never be patched/fixed in those units. There are plenty of websites out there with guides to which serial numbers are exploitable.

2) The first non-exploitable switches were first seen in the wild in July 2018 (Almost 1.5 years after launch)

3) All official Switch firmware's including the newest (9.1.0) are compatible with custom firmware (note: custom firmware and the actual hardware exploit are two different things!) although Nintendo is trying to make it harder for people as time goes on.

4) To further clarify the above statement, Nintendo and hackers play a cat and mouse game of Nintendo releasing a new firmware that breaks custom firmware (it doesn't break the exploit - it breaks custom firmware - a BIG difference) and then the hackers release a new custom firmware compatible with the newest official firmware. Cat and mouse. Certainly not for everyone as updates are frequent enough.

5) Playing online with custom firmware and pirated games leads to a banned Switch. So, if online is your thing, this route is not for you. Or have 2 switches. Offline and online.
So basically the Xbox 360 saga Part Deux.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
^ how difficult is it to find a New model switch at sdm these days? I like your approach even with the $7(?) activation fee on the Visa
Be kind and civil with one another
Apr 18, 2018
109 posts
99 upvotes
I think "upgrading" is an OK deal if you like the system. Personally I would never pay $100+ to upgrade since there aren't many more games in the Switch ecosystem that interest me, plus I'm not confident the joycon quality control and overall design is good enough. I believe there was an event last year when the latest model first came out, you could trade in your old one for a new one straight up (maybe it was for the Switch Lite?)

My switch was a lemon from the start, both joycons wiggled in portable mode straight out of the box (though I never experienced the joystick drifting) and drove me nuts every time I used it, which is horrible for a $400 device.
Apr 18, 2018
109 posts
99 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: ^ how difficult is it to find a New model switch at sdm these days? I like your approach even with the $7(?) activation fee on the Visa
The activation fee for a $250 card was $7.50, I think the smaller denominations started around $5 to activate? Not great but not unreasonable.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1465 posts
2212 upvotes
Toronto
tonnie wrote: I think "upgrading" is an OK deal if you like the system. Personally I would never pay $100+ to upgrade since there aren't many more games in the Switch ecosystem that interest me, plus I'm not confident the joycon quality control and overall design is good enough. I believe there was an event last year when the latest model first came out, you could trade in your old one for a new one straight up (maybe it was for the Switch Lite?)

My switch was a lemon from the start, both joycons wiggled in portable mode straight out of the box (though I never experienced the joystick drifting) and drove me nuts every time I used it, which is horrible for a $400 device.
The switch should be $249 max by now. But Nintendo loyal fans keep it high
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
Can onyx members please stand up?

I would like to know trade value with 15% bump up if it works.

I can’t go myself before tonight
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Dec 20, 2011
115 posts
45 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Just traded my old Nintendo Switch at the Eaton Centre EB Games with the new one. The lady in 267 Yonge Street branch won't let me do the trade without the HDMI cable, joy-con controller grip and straps, she said they're really strict about it. Then I tried the one at Eaton Centre and they let me take the missing items from the new box. Though they tried to give me the one with a game bundle but I said I want the box with mostly red colour and made sure the serial number starts with XKW.
Jan 27, 2009
194 posts
64 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: ^ how difficult is it to find a New model switch at sdm these days? I like your approach even with the $7(?) activation fee on the Visa
Not difficult at all, I bought a new model switch from the Peter St location in Toronto on Bonus Redemption Day last year.

They had 5 new models behind the counter, with more in the back.
does it hot
Feb 1, 2015
86 posts
57 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: That's not true, the recent bundles that included games were older model switches. Nintendo never "pulled them" because there is nothing technically wrong with them.
Maybe bundles were excluded from being pulled but all non bundled old models (pre-patched units) have the red box. I can't speak for bundles as I don't know. And while there is technically nothing wrong with them, they are susceptible to being hacked for homebrew. Ninty doesn't like that.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
alexander0885 wrote: Maybe bundles were excluded from being pulled but all non bundled old models (pre-patched units) have the red box. I can't speak for bundles as I don't know. And while there is technically nothing wrong with them, they are susceptible to being hacked for homebrew. Ninty doesn't like that.
All the (mostly) red boxes are the new models with the better battery life. These ones don't include a game.

All the bundles that have a game included are the old models. The Super Mario Bros U Deluxe bundle is new since Black Friday. These were not on the shelf before Black Friday.

The Mario Kart bundle is the same one as Black Friday 2018 with the old model Switches. I have no idea if the Mario Kart bundles are leftover from 2018 or newly bundled with leftover old model Switches. I don't remember seeing any Mario Kart bundles during the year in 2019 after Boxing Day 2018.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
alexander0885 wrote: Maybe bundles were excluded from being pulled but all non bundled old models (pre-patched units) have the red box. I can't speak for bundles as I don't know. And while there is technically nothing wrong with them, they are susceptible to being hacked for homebrew. Ninty doesn't like that.
Well the older units were already discounted so it's likely they sold through, not that they were pulled from stores.

As for hack-ability, not all V1 Switches are hack-able. There was a hardware patch partway through the initial run of Switches before the new model was released. There is no reason to believe Nintendo would have issue with the patched V1 units being on shelves and just because you don't see them doesn't mean the odd one isn't floating around in certain stores, especially in slower stores. It's even plausible Nintendo is still manufacturing new V1 Switches for the bundles if they're getting the chips from nVidia at a discounted rated.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
oakley0023 wrote: Simplest is to pay the $100+ tax. Worth it for extra battery, warrant, brand new remotes, etc? Yes. Best deal is to go to shoppers drug mart with $300 in pre-paid Visa cards you buy at EB with credit. Then get the Switch from SDM for $400+ tax but collect 30% back in points = $120 in points. Redeem for future purchases such as games or redeem during bonus redemption event ie. $120 in points could turn into $180 at 1.5x.
That's awesome. I am assuming you can easily pay for the Switch with the prepaid VISA and your own card? It doesn't have to be one method only? Thanks.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
Said212 wrote: That's awesome. I am assuming you can easily pay for the Switch with the prepaid VISA and your own card? It doesn't have to be one method only? Thanks.
You should be able to split your purchase among different payment options. I thought all stores offered that.

Keep in mind that you will only get that many points back during their 20% points event. They don't offer that many points everyday.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
DealOrNoDeal55 wrote: The switch should be $249 max by now. But Nintendo loyal fans keep it high
I dont blame the fans, I blame Nintendo and their Nintendo tax. I only buy used first party games for spite.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
For onyx members same trade in tomorrow lol

$310 with bump up lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
Sharks316 wrote: For onyx members same trade in tomorrow lol

$310 with bump up lol
Thank you for the report !
Wallet safe
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2236 posts
569 upvotes
Kelowna
It's tempting for me to trade in my Switch that I bought used, especially for the warranty. I have 2 young kids, and this thing has taken a few spills in the year we have had it. One was from the top of the fireplace mantle right onto the tile hearth... face down. Still works!

The joycons I have almost never get used as they aren't as comfy as the pro controllers I have so I haven't noticed the drift issue.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)