• Jan 17th, 2019 1:02 am
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3421 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
Jim0306 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:59 pm
One question, is there any expire date for eb credit? I have more than 100 but literaly nothing I want to spend on until this winter at least..
Get it on a card and sell it for $80
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Nov 19, 2017
559 posts
1335 upvotes
Toronto
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:51 am
Get it on a card and sell it for $80
or perhaps get a $100 visa prepaid card and take a $5.95 hit on the activation fee instead of a $20 hit.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3421 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
OVOSound wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:55 am
or perhaps get a $100 visa prepaid card and take a $5.95 hit on the activation fee instead of a $20 hit.
Didn't know you could buy visa cards with EB store credit.... not sure why everyone doesn't do that then. Wish I knew that when I sold mine a couple times
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2207 posts
1682 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
FTR if EB/GS go under I'm pretty sure they HAVE to honour any Gift Cards during Liquidation which would assumingly include any credit you have placed on preorders.

It would just force your hand on actually using it.
Dec 26, 2012
459 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
I sold my used copy of RDR2 for $70 cash in Toronto.

Easier to trade for $45 I guess.
Aug 21, 2013
155 posts
74 upvotes
How do I exactly go about trading stuff into EB and then not having to worry about paying tax when I use that credit?

People keep referencing to that secret but I just don't get it, seems too good to be true to evade taxes.
Oct 1, 2007
117 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Brewsky wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:25 am
How do I exactly go about trading stuff into EB and then not having to worry about paying tax when I use that credit?

People keep referencing to that secret but I just don't get it, seems too good to be true to evade taxes.
It's not really a secret. As long as your credit stays within EB's system, i.e. on a pre-order for a game, when you eventually use that credit on something, you won't pay tax on the amount of the credit. If you put your credit on a gift card/Edge card, then it leaves the system and acts just like cash and thus, you'll pay tax. I usually just get PSN cards because I know I'll be using it and my money isn't playing musical chairs with preorders. I tend not to use EB as much as I can.

Trade in game/hardware. Put credit on a preorder far away or on something you actually want. Don't pay tax on credit amount. If you have $80 credit and you want an $80 game, you pay $0 tax. If you have $50 credit and want an $80 game you pay tax on the remaining $30.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
1779 posts
1677 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
oakley0023 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:46 am

I had my rdr2 ps4 game for sale for a week, nothing higher than 40 dollars offered.. Traded it in last day of the guaranteed 50 dollars. Maybe I was just unlucky not being able to sell it. I think 45 (about 50 when u consider tax saving) is pretty fair.
Aug 21, 2013
155 posts
74 upvotes
firelogic wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:30 am
It's not really a secret. As long as your credit stays within EB's system, i.e. on a pre-order for a game, when you eventually use that credit on something, you won't pay tax on the amount of the credit. If you put your credit on a gift card/Edge card, then it leaves the system and acts just like cash and thus, you'll pay tax. I usually just get PSN cards because I know I'll be using it and my money isn't playing musical chairs with preorders. I tend not to use EB as much as I can.

Trade in game/hardware. Put credit on a preorder far away or on something you actually want. Don't pay tax on credit amount. If you have $80 credit and you want an $80 game, you pay $0 tax. If you have $50 credit and want an $80 game you pay tax on the remaining $30.
What happens if I put that $50 credit on a preorder for something that comes out in June 2019.

I see in March 2019 a game I want goes on sale, do I ask them to cancel that pre order, put that $50 to that game I want on sale, and then not pay any tax/pay tax only on the difference?
Aug 24, 2006
741 posts
169 upvotes
Woodbridge
Brewsky wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:42 am
What happens if I put that $50 credit on a preorder for something that comes out in June 2019.

I see in March 2019 a game I want goes on sale, do I ask them to cancel that pre order, put that $50 to that game I want on sale, and then not pay any tax/pay tax only on the difference?
Yes, that's the way it works.

I have a bunch of Death Stranding pre-orders just to hold credit tax free until I'm ready to use it on something.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3640 posts
779 upvotes
Brewsky wrote:

You are able to change your pre-order any time. Also, if you have it on your pre-order on your card and don't have your receipt then you can only change your pre-order at the store you placed it at. I went to another store and asked them to check the pre-order on my card and she said that information doesn't transfer from store to store. If you have your pre-order receipt, they might be able to do it.
Oct 1, 2007
117 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Brewsky wrote:

As mentioned by other posters, that's the way it works. As long as you don't convert it out of their computer system, you're good to go. You can move the credit around as many times as you'd like.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3238 posts
872 upvotes
oakley0023 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:46 am

Whoever gave you $70 is a total sucker if it was in the past week. It's literally $66 used at EB right now and they're generally overpriced.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2825 posts
1520 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:36 am
FTR if EB/GS go under I'm pretty sure they HAVE to honour any Gift Cards during Liquidation which would assumingly include any credit you have placed on preorders.

It would just force your hand on actually using it.
I don't think that is true. When bankrupt the first duty is to pay off debt to other companies (which is where liquidation comes in). They may actually not be allowed to honor gift cards or credit, depending on the terms of their bankruptcy.

Mind you, it was only a small time store I was part of when it went bankrupt, but all credit/gift cards were invalid the moment it was bankrupt. We employees didn't even get any money (4 weeks of pay gone, one bounced cheque).

Either way, I don't see EB Games going under any time soon. They are evolving by selling more geekware these days. That's their future it seems as we go more and more digital.