• May 10th, 2018 2:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4458 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote: I think you are getting a little confused, here's how it works.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... ually-work

Sony could do the same sort of thing, or maybe even a little differently... but they simply don't want to. The ps2 emulation they came up with is locked to ps2 classic purchases only for example, hackers are able to use that for any game with varying compatibly. its not like on pc where developers have to work with what the os gives them, Sony could come up with anything at all (as long as its possible) to make it work.
That doesn't actually contradict what I said that games are recompiled to run on the XB1, if it was raw emulation, any game would run, no matter the issues (such as running ps1 games on a ps2 or ps3). Yes ms designed the XB1 with the ability to provide hardware assistance in a partial emulation of the 360 but existing ps4 hardware doesn't have that capability in the first place.

The next question is how simple it would be to do so, the ps3's processor was far more powerful than the 360's, the system had design flaws out the wazoo that held it, back but it's still a problem from an emulation standpoint. Sony actually tried something similar with certain revisions of the ps3 to run ps2 games but the only one that were effective at it were the 1st gen ps3 that actually had native support for ps2 games. Maybe had they kept at it they could have gotten it to perform well but ms is putting a decent amount of work into getting everything working effectively.

There also questions of whether it is worth Sony's time to put the investment in but it's proven not to be simple, it really hasn't helped ms out this gen when it comes to sales. I've read a few times that backwards compatibility is a highly requested feature but most people never bother to take advantage of it. The simpler solution by far is what Sony does with ps now(which doesn't use any emulation at all) so what incentive do they even have to provide native support in the ps4 for ps3 games. Yes the ps4 can natively emulate ps2 games but that's more or less pure software emulation. I won't defend Sony's decision to not allow existing disc based ps2 games to run on a ps4 because that is a pretty simple task at this point.
Dec 29, 2001
892 posts
167 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
What does PS5 compatibility with PS4 games have to do with this deal?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14253 posts
4414 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote: You brought up a baseless claim and don't even have a link to the source of your paranoia.
LOL, a "Tin Foil hat Theory" would be someone saying that "Sony is run by Aliens" or "Donald Trump owns a 90% share in Sony", not them solidifying a no-Backwards Compatibility business strategy that has been in effect for a decade since they deleted it from the release PS3.

In fact, I would say that it's more "Tin Foil" to state that Sony will break with their decade-long business plan and fully enable BC in the PS5. Seriously, it's infinitely more far-fetched.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14253 posts
4414 upvotes
Montreal
Zeev20 wrote: What does PS5 compatibility with PS4 games have to do with this deal?
It relates to the PS4 Pro to PS4 Pro Slim to PS5 evolution over the next 2 years, and whether it's a better value to buy a Pro now, or wait for the Pro Slim or the PS5.

Personally, I am done investing with this Sony generation and will be waiting for the PS5, or until they announce BC for PS4 games. My backlog is huge now anyway.

But there's really nothing more to add and everyone will make their own personal decision, and hopefully the thread will get back to the PS4 Pro deal.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Dec 29, 2001
892 posts
167 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
JackWhyte wrote: It relates to the PS4 Pro to PS4 Pro Slim to PS5 evolution over the next 2 years, and whether it's a better value to buy a Pro now, or wait for the Pro Slim or the PS5.

Personally, I am done investing with this Sony generation and will be waiting for the PS5, or until they announce BC for PS4 games. My backlog is huge now anyway.

But there's really nothing more to add and everyone will make their own personal decision, and hopefully the thread will get back to the PS4 Pro deal.
Agreed
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1866 posts
517 upvotes
Scarborough
JackWhyte wrote: It relates to the PS4 Pro to PS4 Pro Slim to PS5 evolution over the next 2 years, and whether it's a better value to buy a Pro now, or wait for the Pro Slim or the PS5.

There's no reason why the PS5 wont be backwards compat with the PS4. They need a reboot/clean start for the PS4 because they used different architecture. Unless if the PS5 uses a totally different architecture, PS5 will be able to play PS4 games.

So you going to miss out on 2+ years of new release games, e.g. Spiderman, TLoU 2, Days Gone, etc?

Also, if you're done with investing in this gen why are you even in this thread?
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii
Mar 12, 2013
81 posts
12 upvotes
Is there any point in the PS4 pro if you don't have a 4k tv yet?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8293 posts
2755 upvotes
Better framerates for games that do not hit their targets and improved detail and resolution still.
PS4 Pro will supersample the image quality of higher resolution output to fit the resolution of your TV.

There are some games that only support 60 frames per second on the PS4 Pro.
CarlCarlson wrote: Is there any point in the PS4 pro if you don't have a 4k tv yet?
Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 29th, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 12, 2013
81 posts
12 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Better framerates for games that do not hit their targets and improved detail and resolution still.
PS4 Pro will supersample the image quality of higher resolution output to fit the resolution of your TV.

There are some games only support 60 frames per second on the PS4 Pro.
I'm still another year away from a 4K tv at least so I'll probably hold off on the Pro then. Thanks for the detailed answer.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4403 posts
2836 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: With Sony it's not hard - whatever will make them the most money and support their existing business structure they will do, even if it's 100% anti-consumer.

There was an article on this on Forbes or another biz mag, where the writer was buying only digital games on PS4 because he was certain that Sony would make the PS5 backwards compatible and he wouldn't lose his investment. Then he inquired at Sony and got some cryptic reply that he didn't like. :lol:

Whereby at Microsoft, they have pledge full backwards compatibility with the Xbox One for future console iterations.
Yes I am so jealous that you guys get to play Conker and Kameo in glorious 4k while I am stuck here with checkerboarded God of War.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
3397 posts
3216 upvotes
Ottawa
PS5 will have backwards compatibility. This is why:

- Xbox will no longer be able to rub it in their faces that they do something that Sony can't.

Not that it matters. I keep all my Sony devices.
SigBro wrote: As for the free/not free games, it's a lost cause for anyone trying to have a discussion with you about it because there's always a twinge of rage in your comments if one person sees it one way and you see it another and don't agree with it.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Jep4444 wrote: That doesn't actually contradict what I said that games are recompiled to run on the XB1, if it was raw emulation, any game would run, no matter the issues (such as running ps1 games on a ps2 or ps3). Yes ms designed the XB1 with the ability to provide hardware assistance in a partial emulation of the 360 but existing ps4 hardware doesn't have that capability in the first place.

The next question is how simple it would be to do so, the ps3's processor was far more powerful than the 360's, the system had design flaws out the wazoo that held it, back but it's still a problem from an emulation standpoint. Sony actually tried something similar with certain revisions of the ps3 to run ps2 games but the only one that were effective at it were the 1st gen ps3 that actually had native support for ps2 games. Maybe had they kept at it they could have gotten it to perform well but ms is putting a decent amount of work into getting everything working effectively.

There also questions of whether it is worth Sony's time to put the investment in but it's proven not to be simple, it really hasn't helped ms out this gen when it comes to sales. I've read a few times that backwards compatibility is a highly requested feature but most people never bother to take advantage of it. The simpler solution by far is what Sony does with ps now(which doesn't use any emulation at all) so what incentive do they even have to provide native support in the ps4 for ps3 games. Yes the ps4 can natively emulate ps2 games but that's more or less pure software emulation. I won't defend Sony's decision to not allow existing disc based ps2 games to run on a ps4 because that is a pretty simple task at this point.
Hackers exposed that all ps3s can run ps2 games, mind you since they only cared about games released as ps2 classics the emulator sometimes has game breaking bugs in some games. To emulate ps3 on ps4 it certainly would take a bunch of work, but Sony could do it if they really wanted to.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4458 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote: Hackers exposed that all ps3s can run ps2 games, mind you since they only cared about games released as ps2 classics the emulator sometimes has game breaking bugs in some games. To emulate ps3 on ps4 it certainly would take a bunch of work, but Sony could do it if they really wanted to.
The gap between emulating ps2 on a ps3 and ps3 on a ps4 is quite a bit larger. The ps4 processor is not powerful enough to directly emulate the cell architecture(which is actually faster at floating point calculations than the jaguar inside the ps4) so it's not even an issue of Sony knowing what they're doing, code would have to be physically rewritten to even natively support certain games. Here are some quotes from Naughty Dog about simply porting The Last of Us to ps4. They actually talk about concerns about changes in physics because they had to overhaul everything.
I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no… We expected it to be hell, and it was hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds … that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimized the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimized on a binary level, but after shifting those things over, you have to go back to the high level, make sure the systems are intact, and optimize it again.
I can’t describe how difficult a task that is. And once it’s running well, you’re running the (versions) side by side to make sure you didn’t screw something up in the process, like physics being slightly off, which throws the game off, or lighting being shifted and all of a sudden it’s a drastically different look. That’s not ‘improved’ any more; that’s different. We want to stay faithful while being better.
Yes, maybe they could get an emulator running to handle games that were sloppily ported but anything that properly used the cell architecture can't be done natively(which is most 1st party games). That is not an issue ms has with the xb1 and 360, otherwise they wouldn't have had to basically rebuild tlou.