None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17777 posts
1766 upvotes
Space for rent
NightRain wrote:
May 7th, 2018 8:32 am
At launch I know that several people had problems with 4K TV's not being compatible. Sony claimed the TV's were the problem. Most well known manufactures released firmware updates to fix the compatibility at the TV level. I still hear of some people having this problem though and Sony has washed their hands of it. Sony has always been weird when it comes to HDMI support. They are known to have handshake problems with PS3 and PS4 on many HDMI switches and capture cards. Even some AV receivers have handshake problems. At times it seems like Sony just wants you to plug a PS4 directly into a Sony TV. It is really the only setup they offer any support for. If you use another other than a Sony TV (including a Sony AVR) they will tell you the TV, AVR, Switch, etc is the problem even if everything else works 100%
Read about that. What a ridiculous defence that a tv manufacturer is incompatible with their system. Unless stated clearly on every PS4 Pro box, it should not stand in court. Wow, I can't believe their managers and supervisors allowed them to use that as a line of defence.
Dec 25, 2009
269 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
Woah! wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 4:09 pm
Ummmm....if you were following the conversation properly, they were talking about trading in towards an XBox One X.
:facepalm:
Last I checked, PS4 discs don't play on an XBox.
Are you always this obnoxious or just when dealing with people who DGAF? I will be sure to be more careful in the future regarding reading the posts of people hijacking a thread...did you remember to skold tietherope as well? And sorry for the late reply...I was busy with life.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2616 posts
846 upvotes
Da boot
NightRain wrote:
May 7th, 2018 8:32 am
At launch I know that several people had problems with 4K TV's not being compatible. Sony claimed the TV's were the problem. Most well known manufactures released firmware updates to fix the compatibility at the TV level. I still hear of some people having this problem though and Sony has washed their hands of it. Sony has always been weird when it comes to HDMI support. They are known to have handshake problems with PS3 and PS4 on many HDMI switches and capture cards. Even some AV receivers have handshake problems. At times it seems like Sony just wants you to plug a PS4 directly into a Sony TV. It is really the only setup they offer any support for. If you use another other than a Sony TV (including a Sony AVR) they will tell you the TV, AVR, Switch, etc is the problem even if everything else works 100%
My Pro has a handshake problem, it's plugged into a Yamaha AVR into a Sony TV, ONCE per session the screen will go black and then come back on, I've tried everything from formatting it, to forcing HDCP 1.4(I only have 1080p tv) to changing the cable.

Besides the thing being EXTREMELY LOUD, I've never had any console behave this stupidly with my setup. There's nothing "PRO" or premium about the PS4 Pro, it's hype and it's an overclocked PS4. Sony packed the cheapest garbage in this box, and it has issues, their solution is "clearly it's the consumer's issue".
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4639 posts
1834 upvotes
ph00p wrote:
May 8th, 2018 6:06 am
My Pro has a handshake problem, it's plugged into a Yamaha AVR into a Sony TV, ONCE per session the screen will go black and then come back on, I've tried everything from formatting it, to forcing HDCP 1.4(I only have 1080p tv) to changing the cable.

Besides the thing being EXTREMELY LOUD, I've never had any console behave this stupidly with my setup. There's nothing "PRO" or premium about the PS4 Pro, it's hype and it's an overclocked PS4. Sony packed the cheapest garbage in this box, and it has issues, their solution is "clearly it's the consumer's issue".
It is super common. Sony will blame it on the Yamaha and tell you to plug it directly into the Sony TV. I had all kinds of problems with my PS3 years ago with handshaking when connected to my Yamaha RX-V3900. Sony told me that the receiver was the issue and that Yamaha RX-V3900 wasn't a quality device because they failed to meet certain HDMI standards. It was a $2500 receiver that was highly reviewed. The PS3 Slim I purchased later had no issues. Still to this day if I connect my 60GB PS3 to it I'll have random handshake errors and it is the only device to do that. That 60GB is in another room now connected to a different Yamaha RX-V667 and it works 99%, randomly I'll get weird thin rainbow lines flick through the TV while using it. Seems to be more noticeable in streaming video from things like Plex and NEtflix.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Dec 8, 2008
256 posts
69 upvotes
pentexplorer wrote:
May 6th, 2018 11:45 pm
Is it really minimal? Even on a 4k tv.. does the OG PS4 hold up?
The upgrade is minimal, yes. We have both, running on a 4k (sony xbr65x850c), and we tested it with a few games including Final Fantasy.
If I didn't have either system I would definitely pay for the pro. If I had the OG, however, I would absolutely not upgrade unless it was <$100 to do so; it absolutely still holds up well, just spent the last week playing God of War and it's stunning.
Mar 24, 2011
721 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
blue_raptor wrote:
May 8th, 2018 1:22 pm
The upgrade is minimal, yes. We have both, running on a 4k (sony xbr65x850c), and we tested it with a few games including Final Fantasy.
If I didn't have either system I would definitely pay for the pro. If I had the OG, however, I would absolutely not upgrade unless it was <$100 to do so; it absolutely still holds up well, just spent the last week playing God of War and it's stunning.
I guess i should save for a 4k tv then :) maybe OLED
Mar 24, 2011
721 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
pentexplorer wrote:
May 10th, 2018 12:13 am
I guess i should save for a 4k tv then :) maybe OLED
I have the OG ps4 but just missing the TV that's 4k