• May 10th, 2018 2:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4445 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: Ah, only a few more years before we have to hear Sony's ultra-lame and totally-illogical technical reason why it is absolutely *impossible* for the PS5's PC-based hardware to allow backwards compatibility with the PS4's PC-based hardware. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then a week later we are buried with "Enhanced Re-Releases of PS4 Games". :facepalm:
The reason the ps4 can't play ps3 games is because there is a difference between emulating hardware (which the ps4 is nowhere close of being able to do for the ps3) and recompiling games individually (which is basically the equivalent of doing a full port). The ps3 hardware is not pc based(particularly the CPU is very different). We know nothing about the ps5 so your speculation is just pure bull right now.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14242 posts
4407 upvotes
Montreal
Jep4444 wrote: The reason the ps4 can't play ps3 games is because there is a difference between emulating hardware (which the ps4 is nowhere close of being able to do for the ps3) and recompiling games individually (which is basically the equivalent of doing a full port). The ps3 hardware is not pc based(particularly the CPU is very different). We know nothing about the ps5 so your speculation is just pure bull right now.
Here's a perfect example of someone answering a question that was never asked. :lol: :lol:

We're talking PS4 to PS5 here Methuselah, and all industry expectations are that game consoles will continue to be PC-based to aid developers in creating games for multiple platforms (i.e. if Sony or MS drops the PC architecture, they will lose devs or delay ports), hence the need to Sony to make up some technical BS about not being able to emulate a PC-based game on new PC-based hardware in order to make $$$ paying for game reissues over and over and over, and push subscriptions to their streaming service.

Just wait and see.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4445 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: Here's a perfect example of someone answering a question that was never asked. :lol: :lol:

We're talking PS4 to PS5 here Methuselah, and all industry expectations are that game consoles will continue to be PC-based to aid developers in creating games for multiple platforms (i.e. if Sony or MS drops the PC architecture, they will lose devs or delay ports), hence the need to Sony to make up some technical BS about not being able to emulate a PC-based game on new PC-based hardware in order to make $$$ paying for game reissues over and over and over, and push subscriptions to their streaming service.

Just wait and see.
And here's a perfect example of someone with an apparent crystal ball and the ability to predict the future of what a company will do.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8278 posts
2743 upvotes
You were the one that introduced a completely unrelated tinfoil hat theory into the thread and you
had to call that guy out on a reply. :facepalm:

JackWhyte wrote: Here's a perfect example of someone answering a question that was never asked. :lol: :lol:t

Just wait and see.
mikka2017 wrote: im suprised this PRO model isn't on sale that often...its never on sale for 400$ + one game right?
It was on sale for $400 last boxing week + a digital code for Horizon Zero Dawn.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 29th, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14242 posts
4407 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote: You were the one that introduced a completely unrelated tinfoil hat theory into the thread and you had to call that guy out on a reply.
Huh? I was clearly referring to PS4 to PS5 backwards compatibility, and I called him out because he was commenting about BC on a system that is well over a decade old - totally OT and irrelevant - what's next, his biting comments on the Neo Geo and Atari 2600. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14242 posts
4407 upvotes
Montreal
Jep4444 wrote: And here's a perfect example of someone with an apparent crystal ball and the ability to predict the future of what a company will do.
With Sony it's not hard - whatever will make them the most money and support their existing business structure they will do, even if it's 100% anti-consumer.

There was an article on this on Forbes or another biz mag, where the writer was buying only digital games on PS4 because he was certain that Sony would make the PS5 backwards compatible and he wouldn't lose his investment. Then he inquired at Sony and got some cryptic reply that he didn't like. :lol:

Whereby at Microsoft, they have pledge full backwards compatibility with the Xbox One for future console iterations.
Last edited by JackWhyte on Apr 29th, 2018 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Jep4444 wrote: The reason the ps4 can't play ps3 games is because there is a difference between emulating hardware (which the ps4 is nowhere close of being able to do for the ps3) and recompiling games individually (which is basically the equivalent of doing a full port). The ps3 hardware is not pc based(particularly the CPU is very different). We know nothing about the ps5 so your speculation is just pure bull right now.
They could emulate ps3 on ps4, just like they did 360 on the one. Having full low level access to the hardware and optimization support from the hardware maker makes it a far less daunting task than doing it on pc. On pc a small group of devs got it working with no insider knowledge, no driver optimization’s, no low level access. I know the pc emulator isn’t full speed, but it’s close enough for me to think it would be on fairly weak hardware if the devs had the resources and low level access Sony does.
Feb 14, 2004
262 posts
106 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks OP! I've just traded old original 500gb PS4 for PS4 white Pro for $250. Tax was on the $250.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8278 posts
2743 upvotes
The point is you don't have any idea whether PS5 will have backwards compatibility or not.
Nobody will know until 2019, 2020 when the next system is announced, hence a tinfoil hat theory.

JackWhyte wrote: Ah, only a few more years before we have to hear Sony's ultra-lame and totally-illogical technical reason why it is absolutely *impossible* for the PS5's PC-based hardware to allow backwards compatibility with the PS4's PC-based hardware. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then a week later we are buried with "Enhanced Re-Releases of PS4 Games". :facepalm:
JackWhyte wrote: Huh? I was clearly referring to PS4 to PS5 backwards compatibility, and I called him out because he was commenting on a system that is well over a decade old - what's next, the Neo Geo and Atari 2600. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14242 posts
4407 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote: The point is you don't have any idea whether PS5 will have backwards compatibility or not.
Nobody will know until 2019, 2020 when the next system is announced, hence my personal insult and attack.
Hey Mr Tinfoil Hat Boy, you might want to look up that article at Forbes (or similar) that covers Sony's early comments on this, which are totally different than Microsoft's guarantees of BC.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8278 posts
2743 upvotes
You brought up a baseless claim and don't even have a link to the source of your paranoia.
At least cite your sources if you want to seem credible.
:rolleyes:

JackWhyte wrote: Hey Mr Tinfoil Hat Boy, you might want to look up that article at Forbes (or similar) that covers Sony's early comments on this, which are totally different than Microsoft's guarantees of BC.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 29th, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4445 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote: They could emulate ps3 on ps4, just like they did 360 on the one. Having full low level access to the hardware and optimization support from the hardware maker makes it a far less daunting task than doing it on pc. On pc a small group of devs got it working with no insider knowledge, no driver optimization’s, no low level access. I know the pc emulator isn’t full speed, but it’s close enough for me to think it would be on fairly weak hardware if the devs had the resources and low level access Sony does.
The ps4 is not physically powerful enough to directly emulate the ps3 since the CPU hardware is dramatically different. Having low level access to the hardware won't make it possible to emulate all the cell cores that don't physically exist on the ps4. Hell, even MS doesn't directly emulate the 360 on the XB1(which have far more similar architectures to each other) . They recompile the code to run on the new system, same basic process as porting any game from one console to another.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Jep4444 wrote: The ps4 is not physically powerful enough to directly emulate the ps3 since the CPU hardware is dramatically different. Having low level access to the hardware won't make it possible to emulate all the cell cores that don't physically exist on the ps4. Hell, even MS doesn't directly emulate the 360 on the XB1(which have far more similar architectures to each other) . They recompile the code to run on the new system, same basic process as porting any game from one console to another.
I think you are getting a little confused, here's how it works.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... ually-work

Sony could do the same sort of thing, or maybe even a little differently... but they simply don't want to. The ps2 emulation they came up with is locked to ps2 classic purchases only for example, hackers are able to use that for any game with varying compatibly. its not like on pc where developers have to work with what the os gives them, Sony could come up with anything at all (as long as its possible) to make it work.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1438 posts
517 upvotes
Backwards issues are for goofy, basically no one ever actually goes back even when they can.....It is pointless......Just like when we hoard games on steam sales......the vast majority never get played
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3244 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone in the Durham region (Pickering Ajax Whitby Oshawa) that is trading in a ps4 slim, can I please swap my of ps4 with yours? I will go with you and make sure the trade goes through