[EB Games] PS4 PRO for $249.99 when you trade in your old PS4

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2019 9:59 am
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2876 posts
2499 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ludhi wrote: Ps5 releasing in a year or 2?
Probably late next year.

Basically at this point there's no point buying a new one if you don't have one yet. Basically the main benefit here is that you get a newer, better console with a new warranty that will take you most of the way to the PS5 releasing. A newer console will end up lasting longer as well (like personally I wish I had traded my PS3 Slim for a Super Slim at one point, the console would be 3 years "younger").
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: Probably late next year.

Basically at this point there's no point buying a new one if you don't have one yet. Basically the main benefit here is that you get a newer, better console with a new warranty that will take you most of the way to the PS5 releasing. A newer console will end up lasting longer as well (like personally I wish I had traded my PS3 Slim for a Super Slim at one point, the console would be 3 years "younger").
I think it's a great time for new users to jump into the PS4, the slim console and a bunch of games are super cheap. Assume the PS5 launches in fall 2020, everything will be expensive for the first 1-2 years, console, games, controllers etc. I always buy a system at 1-2 years after release. Other suckers can be beta testers for the launch hardware.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
2504 posts
1727 upvotes
Kitchener
I did this trade in last time. Hassle free!
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 28GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Sep 16, 2013
147 posts
77 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
chemicalxv wrote: You're waiting for a pipe dream
They might not be. Black Friday could mark the beginning of the last year for PS4 as a current gen console. Fall 2020 is the widely speculated release date of PS5. Prices could see some cuts to squeeze every bit of final year sales.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
NowJoJo wrote: I did this trade in last time. Hassle free!
Yup, I traded in my XB1 fat for a Slim a couple of years ago, came with like 5 games and cost $99.

It's a good way to get to a new controller / get rid of dodgy worn hardware / renew your warranty.

I feel sorry for the suckers who buy used consoles and controllers at EB.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9071 posts
1397 upvotes
Victoria
Kurtz7834 wrote: I think it's a great time for new users to jump into the PS4, the slim console and a bunch of games are super cheap. Assume the PS5 launches in fall 2020, everything will be expensive for the first 1-2 years, console, games, controllers etc. I always buy a system at 1-2 years after release. Other suckers can be beta testers for the launch hardware.
Maybe? This gen was a bit unique in the fact the Canadian dollar completely dropped out after the release of the ps4. Thus the price of the ps4 actually went up after release and took a while to get down to where it was. I usually buy the new console as soon as a game I want to play comes out (and preferrably comes bundled with it).
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
SofaProfessor wrote: They might not be. Black Friday could mark the beginning of the last year for PS4 as a current gen console. Fall 2020 is the widely speculated release date of PS5. Prices could see some cuts to squeeze every bit of final year sales.
It really depends how much unsold inventory there is of the PS4 Pro this Fall. I don't know the exact stats but I would imagine the vast majority of PS4 users have the non pro version (Slim or Original).
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
Also, launch games for a new system usually suck, I see no reason why the PS5 will be different. I'll have my eye on the PS5 1-2 years after launch. The PS4 is cheap and has a huge library of great games, bunch of free PS Plus games for those with PS Plus who are still stuck on PS3.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2876 posts
2499 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Kurtz7834 wrote: We'll see, it's late in the life cycle for PS4. Not in any rush anyways.
The cheapest we've ever seen the Pro including trade-in was $199.99, and that was only because the stars aligned on Sony offering it for $100 off during Black Friday 2017 (which they have never repeated) and EB giving $200 for your old PS4.

$99.99 would require at least an extra $100 off on Sony's end and EB to maintain a TIV such that both equal $400.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: Maybe? This gen was a bit unique in the fact the Canadian dollar completely dropped out after the release of the ps4. Thus the price of the ps4 actually went up after release and took a while to get down to where it was. I usually buy the new console as soon as a game I want to play comes out (and preferrably comes bundled with it).
That was a one time thing due to the plummeting Canadian dollar, it won't be repeated.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2876 posts
2499 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
SofaProfessor wrote: They might not be. Black Friday could mark the beginning of the last year for PS4 as a current gen console. Fall 2020 is the widely speculated release date of PS5. Prices could see some cuts to squeeze every bit of final year sales.
Assuming the PS5 does in fact have actual real backwards compatibility with PS4 games then you legitimately wouldn't be missing out on anything by waiting until the PS5 comes out. You'd be another 1.5ish years behind on games but that hardly matters when you're already what, 5.5?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
Everything to do with the PS5 is just speculation at this point. No one knows features, launch price, game lineup for launch, or even the launch date.

This is a decent deal if you need the PS4 Pro now, or your current PS4 hardware is problematic.
Apr 6, 2019
15 posts
8 upvotes
Anybody know if they will accept the trade with a controller that has a ripped off plastic on the left thumb stick? They didnt accept it for the controller trade-in event.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13505 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
Endayy wrote: Anybody know if they will accept the trade with a controller that has a ripped off plastic on the left thumb stick? They didnt accept it for the controller trade-in event.
This will be YMMV based on location. Suggestion is to go on a Saturday afternoon when they are busy and don't have time to look closely at the hardware.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2876 posts
2499 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Endayy wrote: Anybody know if they will accept the trade with a controller that has a ripped off plastic on the left thumb stick? They didnt accept it for the controller trade-in event.
If they already turned it down for that they'll do it again.

Realistically what you can do is give them the controller that comes with the PS4 Pro instead and keep your junk one.