• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 8:13 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
864 posts
1980 upvotes
New Brunswick

[EB Games] Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (Switch preorder) - $19.99

Not sure if this is a price error. MRSP on the eShop is saying $37.79, so a physical version would probably be like $40 or something.

I remember paying the heck out of a demo of this on PS2 years back.
28 replies
Jan 31, 2008
229 posts
123 upvotes
Etobicoke
BranCracker wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:40 pm
Not sure if this is a price error. MRSP on the eShop is saying $37.79, so a physical version would probably be like $40 or something.

Nice find! Definitely looks like a price error to me. It's listed at $30 US, so likely $40 for us. Upvoted. (you deserve a second for your cat avatar, as well) :)
Jan 26, 2012
195 posts
295 upvotes
Quebec
oh boy a PS2 era port now?

at least from what I hear it's a great little game
Dec 8, 2012
304 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
is it a port or remastered?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
2970 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
BranCracker wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:40 pm

Ebgames doesn't honor lowest price, only if price decreases but If it increases they will charge you the higher rate
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
864 posts
1980 upvotes
New Brunswick
obk1988 wrote: is it a port or remastered?
They remastered it for PC a little over a year ago, so I imagine it’s based on that.
undacova wrote: Ebgames doesn't honor lowest price, only if price decreases but If it increases they will charge you the higher rate
That seems totally backwards lol. I’d just return it if they try to charge me more
Sep 26, 2016
13 posts
36 upvotes
undacova wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 12:13 am
Ebgames doesn't honor lowest price, only if price decreases but If it increases they will charge you the higher rate
I am not sure if this is true. I used to work for EB Games. If a preorder is fully paid off (instead of just a partial deposit) the game is considered to be paid. If the price raises you will still get the game at the price you preordred it for (as long as it was fully paid off). Has this policy changed recently?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
864 posts
1980 upvotes
New Brunswick
Warhound117 wrote: I am not sure if this is true. I used to work for EB Games. If a preorder is fully paid off (instead of just a partial deposit) the game is considered to be paid. If the price raises you will still get the game at the price you preordred it for (as long as it was fully paid off). Has this policy changed recently?
They only gave the option of partial deposit for picking up in-store. Seems very anti-consumer to not have price guarantees; who wouldn’t just cancel if they have to pay more? lol
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
2970 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
BranCracker wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 6:33 am
They remastered it for PC a little over a year ago, so I imagine it’s based on that.
That seems totally backwards lol. I’d just return it if they try to charge me more
Warhound117 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 7:28 am
I am not sure if this is true. I used to work for EB Games. If a preorder is fully paid off (instead of just a partial deposit) the game is considered to be paid. If the price raises you will still get the game at the price you preordred it for (as long as it was fully paid off). Has this policy changed recently?
Not sure about the website actually was speaking based on instore where any money you put is counted as a deposit.
Made an order for this online, let's see what happens.

Also this is in their terms and conditions.

7. ERRORS AND PRODUCT AVAILABILITY; OFFERS TO PURCHASE

Errors, misprints and omissions (including incorrect prices, descriptions or specifications for products) may sometimes occur. EB Games does not guarantee that products and services advertised on our Website will be available when ordered or thereafter. EB Games makes no warranty that the content of the Website, including product descriptions or photographs, is accurate or complete.

In addition and supplementary to the provisions of the Purchase Terms and Conditions stated below, EB Games may at any time, without any prior notice or liability to any Website user (a) correct any error, inaccuracy or omission; (b) change the products and services available on the Website, or the prices, fees, and specifications of such products and services, or any promotional offers and any other Website content; and (c) limit quantities available for sale.

The advertisements on the Website are invitations to you to make offers to purchase products and services on the Website and are not offers to sell. All prices and other amounts appearing on the Website are quoted in Canadian dollars.

Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1288 posts
848 upvotes
St Catharines
Nice catch!

I remember playing this on GameCube and loving it, $20 for a physical Switch game that is actually good is a great deal.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Katamari Damacy situation, where it has a super low print run.
Mar 20, 2012
579 posts
417 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
undacova wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 12:13 am
This
Feb 17, 2009
49 posts
13 upvotes
PS2 remasters...I hope the Switch doesn't turn into a new Wii with shovelware...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1288 posts
848 upvotes
St Catharines
cobracat wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:46 pm
PS2 remasters...I hope the Switch doesn't turn into a new Wii with shovelware...
There's already plenty of shovelware on the eShop. This is a legitimately good game.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19001 posts
5899 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I haven't bought a thing from ebgames in the last 8 years. I'm not sure why anybody ever bothers... because trade in churning (IMO way too time consuming to bother)?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2540 posts
803 upvotes
Chatham
Warhound117 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 7:28 am
I had this exact thing with Guild Wars 2 (at release). EB had a price error at $29.99. I paid of two copies fully in store. When I went back at release they said it was another $30 each, and I said to look at the system as it showed 'fully paid off'. They checked and said "you are right" and fixed the price so I didn't need to pay anymore.