Expired Hot Deals

EB Games

Trade in your Switch and Pre Order the Nintendo Switch OLED for $149 Extended to Aug 4th

Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8116 posts
747 upvotes
drpepper1 wrote: Yes.

As to 720p your eyeballs simply can’t tell the difference in handheld for resolution. However you get brighter more vibrant colors and it is slightly larger. Also everyone over looking the 64 vs 32 gb storage.

This OLED switch is not targeting the 2nd generation switch. For anyone with a launch edition though - the 300 trade in is hot deal. Anyone thinking otherwise doesn’t understand. Getting 75 percent of original value on an electronic device that is four years old!?!?!? That is smoking hot TBH.
what? you can hack those old Switches, they're worth more.
hi!
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
4752 posts
1370 upvotes
Scarborough
aljudeh wrote: In stores is the worst place to test TV's. They use a completely modified flawless upscaled videos and images.
Well I've been looking at tvs the past couple of weeks and the consensus seems to be that oled and qled are nearly identical, but oled has better viewing angles.

The switch screen already looks great, I don't see how it can get any better
Aug 28, 2011
195 posts
121 upvotes
CALGARY
masterhapposai wrote: what? you can hack those old Switches, they're worth more.
They’re worth more if you can find someone to buy it I guess. Dealing with tire kickers and kijiji idiots - I’ll take the easy and sure thing at EB Games.

Hacking the switches, staying on top of it is not as easy as some may think. This is still Nintendo’s active platform so unless you plan on NEVER connecting a hacked switch to anything online ever I guess some might enjoy hacking it?? It has limited use and enjoyment at this point for most.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2089 posts
1988 upvotes
Surrey
redflagdealsguy wrote: That sounds terrible. But I know Nintendo fanatics will do it, and then proceed to get a slim to stave off the withdrawal, and then pickup the OLED. Then maybe keep the slim as a backup unit.

Fascinating bunch.
Several Nintendo fanatics who think everything Nintendo releases is a godsend is exactly why Nintendo remains complacent and releases half-baked products like this one. A larger OLED screen is indeed better than an LCD one, but that being essentially the only revision after about 4 years is insulting to those who play games like Hyrule Warriors and Monster Hunter that struggle to maintain a consistent frame rate. The outdated console itself is what’s hampering the potential of its games. BOTW 2 and Pokémon Legends Arceus are going to struggle in terms of FPS on this “new” model, and that’s the problem with this greedy company. I love the Switch that I have, but offering this OLED model at a higher price (only $50 less than a freakin PS5) and offering little upgrades (none applicable to those who play docked) is absurd, so this $150 difference plus the additional wait makes for a terrible deal imo.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21797 posts
26342 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: Several Nintendo fanatics who think everything Nintendo releases is a godsend is exactly why Nintendo remains complacent and releases half-baked products like this one. A larger OLED screen is indeed better than an LCD one, but that being essentially the only revision after about 4 years is insulting to those who play games like Hyrule Warriors and Monster Hunter that struggle to maintain a consistent frame rate. The outdated console itself is what’s hampering the potential of its games. BOTW 2 and Pokémon Legends Arceus are going to struggle in terms of FPS on this “new” model, and that’s the problem with this greedy company. I love the Switch that I have, but offering this OLED model at a higher price (only $50 less than a freakin PS5) and offering little upgrades (none applicable to those who play docked) is absurd, so this $150 difference plus the additional wait makes for a terrible deal imo.
I appreciate the honesty. One can be a Nintendo Switch fan in a reasonable manner, without the uncritical obsession.

By the way, I'm posting this on the Amazon Fire HD 10 with Bluetooth Keyboard Case and Slim Bluetooth Mouse. Beautiful device.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5307 posts
2667 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: Several Nintendo fanatics who think everything Nintendo releases is a godsend is exactly why Nintendo remains complacent and releases half-baked products like this one. A larger OLED screen is indeed better than an LCD one, but that being essentially the only revision after about 4 years is insulting to those who play games like Hyrule Warriors and Monster Hunter that struggle to maintain a consistent frame rate. The outdated console itself is what’s hampering the potential of its games. BOTW 2 and Pokémon Legends Arceus are going to struggle in terms of FPS on this “new” model, and that’s the problem with this greedy company. I love the Switch that I have, but offering this OLED model at a higher price (only $50 less than a freakin PS5) and offering little upgrades (none applicable to those who play docked) is absurd, so this $150 difference plus the additional wait makes for a terrible deal imo.
You bring up good points, and totally right about the fanatics.

I am one of them. I got a Switch Lite too and must have 2 Switches always. I plan to have this OLED to replace my regular Switch and still keep the Lite.

It's a Nintendo thing. I don't know exactly what it is but I'm enthralled with them more so than my PS/Xbox stuff.

I have a PS5 and Xbox Series S/X too btw.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
4752 posts
1370 upvotes
Scarborough
so is this deal $150 plus tax or is it $150, because it its plus tax, then the total is around $180. If its $150 all in then its not bad.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7627 upvotes
Toronto
blaznazn22 wrote: so is this deal $150 plus tax or is it $150, because it its plus tax, then the total is around $180. If its $150 all in then its not bad.
Nexzen wrote: lmao you just might be the least knowledgeable person on redflagdeals.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2089 posts
1988 upvotes
Surrey
trinxified wrote: You bring up good points, and totally right about the fanatics.

I am one of them. I got a Switch Lite too and must have 2 Switches always. I plan to have this OLED to replace my regular Switch and still keep the Lite.

It's a Nintendo thing. I don't know exactly what it is but I'm enthralled with them more so than my PS/Xbox stuff.

I have a PS5 and Xbox Series S/X too btw.
I’ve been a huge Nintendo fan (since SNES), particularly for Pokémon. Yet unlike many other fans like yourself, I realize when Nintendo gives its consumers the short end of the stick and this is the prime example. If the several millions of fans like you could hold off and stop buying everything Nintendo then maybe they’d realize this more often. The failure of the Wii U led to the arrival of the Switch, and maybe the failure of this crappy model would make Nintendo realize they need to up their hardware game to a respectable level.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7627 upvotes
Toronto
henrik112 wrote: I’ve been a huge Nintendo fan (since SNES), particularly for Pokémon. Yet unlike many other fans like yourself, I realize when Nintendo gives its consumers the short end of the stick and this is the prime example. If the several millions of fans like you could hold off and stop buying everything Nintendo then maybe they’d realize. The failure of the WiiU led to the arrival of the Switch, and maybe the failure of this crappy model would make Nintendo realize they need to up their hardware game to a respectable level.
doesn't look like its gonna fail, it's mainly targeted towards launch switch owners and if even 10% of current users upgrade to this and trade or sell their old console, that's almost 10 million sold and 10 million in the second hand market who will buy more nintendo software, they also used this as an opportunity to increase the price. It's a smart business move tbh. Then you have new users who will grab this now instead of the standard version, increasing revenue and creating a boost.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2089 posts
1988 upvotes
Surrey
Nexzen wrote: doesn't look like its gonna fail, it's mainly targeted towards launch switch owners and if even 10% of current users upgrade to this and trade or sell their old console, that's almost 10 million sold and 10 million in the second hand market who will buy more nintendo software, they also used this as an opportunity to increase the price. It's a smart business move tbh.
I realize that, and that’s exactly what pisses me off. Nintendo doesn’t give a f about its consumers, just the $. Even Apple has improved in this aspect (particularly with the MacBook), despite all the hate they get.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5307 posts
2667 upvotes
Even the DS/3DS days I had multiples of their revision models, etc.

Today, I have 3 of the New 2DS XL in different colors just because they're easy to hack and nice to have around.
Last edited by trinxified on Jul 26th, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21797 posts
26342 upvotes
trinxified wrote: Even the 3DS days I had multiples of their revision models, etc.

Today, I have 3 of the New 2DS XL in different colors just because they're easy to hack and nice to have around.
This is why Nintendo still has a following outside the core obsession crowd, i.e. the Dinobots of human beings.

Nintendo has been less vigorous in fighting the homebrew community than either Microsoft or Sony, as a result, people own multiple of their consoles, one for hacked play, and one for pristine legitimate play... and maybe one more hacked unit for good measure.

I called the Switch handheld a Fischer-Price Tonka-Truck console for adults, but that's not 100% true. It's maybe 63% true.

Carry on.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2089 posts
1988 upvotes
Surrey
trinxified wrote: Even the 3DS days I had multiples of their revision models, etc.

The “New” line of the 3DS is not an Apples to Apples comparison. That model, which released only 4 years after the OG model’s release, had enough of an upgrade over the 3DS to run its games well (ironically a game like Hyrule Warriors was a major target). An upgrade like that along with OLED screen for the Switch would’ve been a worthwhile upgrade because similar to the OG 3DS’s case, games like Hyrule Warriors run terribly. I’m really salty about this because unlike people who wanted a major Pro-like overhaul, I just wanted something to potentially allow Pokémon Legends Arceus to run more smoothly, which this Switch does not accomplish.
Dec 23, 2009
59 posts
47 upvotes
Wait, I have a 2017 -001 model. Am I better trading (or selling it privately) to get this newer model? Mine currently never leaves the dock and we use wireless pro controllers. I was disappointed to read that there is no bluetooth headset support which is my only gripe today with it.
Dec 11, 2019
23 posts
10 upvotes
Hate being impulsive. My switch was docked for few months till the pokemon unite was released. Then saw this trade-in thread. Lol. Can’t wait for October. Only got the neon because white is OOS already. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1757 posts
1177 upvotes
Quebec
urbantroll wrote: Wait, I have a 2017 -001 model. Am I better trading (or selling it privately) to get this newer model? Mine currently never leaves the dock and we use wireless pro controllers. I was disappointed to read that there is no bluetooth headset support which is my only gripe today with it.
Why would you trade/sell your hackable Switch for a more expensive unhackable Switch that only features a better screen that you will probably never look at since your console never leaves the dock?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8116 posts
747 upvotes
drpepper1 wrote: They’re worth more if you can find someone to buy it I guess. Dealing with tire kickers and kijiji idiots - I’ll take the easy and sure thing at EB Games.

Hacking the switches, staying on top of it is not as easy as some may think. This is still Nintendo’s active platform so unless you plan on NEVER connecting a hacked switch to anything online ever I guess some might enjoy hacking it?? It has limited use and enjoyment at this point for most.
That's a fair approach, I hate selling because of tire kickers and scams.

I was thinking more for myself, I always need a modded Switch on hand and feel its a must. Toooo many games and you can't test them by buying them all. Modded switch pays for itself by just avoiding a few bad buys.
hi!
Jul 31, 2007
882 posts
748 upvotes
drpepper1 wrote: Hacking the switches, staying on top of it is not as easy as some may think. This is still Nintendo’s active platform so unless you plan on NEVER connecting a hacked switch to anything online ever I guess some might enjoy hacking it?? It has limited use and enjoyment at this point for most.
or you can do the alternative: buy a second switch for online play only ;) keep your unpatched one for offline play only
Apr 8, 2020
712 posts
972 upvotes
johncraven wrote: or you can do the alternative: buy a second switch for online play only ;) keep your unpatched one for offline play only
Why would you do this?

It literally takes two seconds to go from cfw to regular firmware on hacked switch. You don't need two switch's to do so. A properly hacked switch does both.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)