• Jan 2nd, 2018 2:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes

Xbox One S $79.99 with OG Xbox One or PS4 Trade-In

EB Games has a deal in their Boxing Week flyer that if you trade in an original Xbox One or a PS4 you get the Xbox One S for $79.99. I missed out on the Xbox One X trade in deal back when the X launched (couldn't find an X anywhere locally) so I may give this offer a try.
55 replies
Jan 1, 2008
132 posts
45 upvotes
Scarborough
Holy shit, this is pretty hot, like I got 3rd degree burns. If you don't see the value in getting the X right now, this is a good alternative to upgrade your system. I did it last year when it was $99 - although, I wonder if it comes with games? e.g. Last year when I got it, I got the Halo Bundle
Half these deals ain't even hot
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1693 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton
This seems pretty good. What do I have to do to prep my Xbox one to trade in? Not sure if I want to go through the trouble. Really lazy lol
adamm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
Basically just go to the system settings and 'reset' the console to it's factory settings.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one ... y-defaults

If you want an easier transition to the new console you can backup your games to a portable hard drive and transfer them to the new console that way. This just saves time instead of having to download all the games again over the internet.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1693 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton
Madjoy wrote: Basically just go to the system settings and 'reset' the console to it's factory settings.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one ... y-defaults

If you want an easier transition to the new console you can backup your games to a portable hard drive and transfer them to the new console that way. This just saves time instead of having to download all the games again over the internet.
Thanks. My games are already installed on a portable HDD. Does it have to include a controller? Just 1 controller and the console?
adamm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
Yeah, I'm pretty positive you need to include the controller.
Feb 22, 2013
144 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
Controller, power supply and console is what is usually required.
Sep 18, 2008
609 posts
163 upvotes
Anyone did the trade in and know if it comes with any games?
Dec 10, 2017
292 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
My friends did this when it was 59.99 or 79.99 the last time around Black Friday..

Couldn't believe the deal, I have no idea how EB turns a profit letting the console lose for $80... even at the lowest all time price of $229 retail XB1S, you are getting $150 for your OG xbox one that nobody would buy used for a huge markup above that....
Stay Frosty'
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2929 posts
273 upvotes
I have an original xbox one + kinect + games/controllers.

Any idea if I can trade this in and use credit towards a switch? I just need something for casual gaming when friends are over (e.g. mario kart).

Or would the trade value be so little that it's better to just buy switch and keep xbone?
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
I'm pretty sure the trade in value of the xbox one towards a switch wouldn't be quite as good but you'd have to check with EB games to see what you can get for your xbox + kinect + games/controllers.
Nov 22, 2004
365 posts
132 upvotes
krn905 wrote: My friends did this when it was 59.99 or 79.99 the last time around Black Friday..

Couldn't believe the deal, I have no idea how EB turns a profit letting the console lose for $80... even at the lowest all time price of $229 retail XB1S, you are getting $150 for your OG xbox one that nobody would buy used for a huge markup above that....
I'm sure this comes from Microsoft as some kind of deal. There's a number of reasons why MS would do this, but this time, it should mainly be:

1) You have to pre-manufacturer a number of units to be ready for the holiday season, but when you have a lot left over, you have to move them somehow because these products become increasingly "obsolete" rather quickly (in this case, the X is already out). Doing a massive discount might not be what you want for a number of reasons, so the trade in offer is an option.

2) Maybe the $80 goes to MS and EB gets a refurb to sell OR maybe the other way around. If the refurb is sold at $100 or so, it may still be a loss to MS, but if it was sold to someone who doesn't own an XBOX One, that potentially adds to future software/subscription revenue.

3) Inflates the "Number of XBOX One" sold to date number. This number helps with getting software development.

4) If an OG XBOX (that's certainly out of warranty now) breaks down, will the software library that the user owns be enough to get him to buy another or does he buy a PS4 or Switch instead? Maybe better to get these owners upgraded to a new console.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1693 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton
tdotojnf wrote: Anyone did the trade in and know if it comes with any games?
According to the flyer in OP, and I just confirmed with the store near my house, it's the Halo 5/Gears of War Xbox One S bundle: https://www.ebgames.ca/Xbox%20One/Games ... ay-special

Full digital downloads of:
  • Gears of War 4 for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
Last edited by adamm on Dec 27th, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamm
Nov 29, 2014
35 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I would have went for this deal but exchanged my og Xbox for $99 in the last round of deals.

I am waiting for any Xbox X trade deals now and nicen 21 inch 4K monitor.
Oct 17, 2010
824 posts
438 upvotes
Edmonton
Just left EB with my new console, it is the Gears/Halo bundle. Just needed the console, controller and power brick/cord.

$80 for an updated console and new controller is worth it to me, not to mention the free games. Down the road I can likely trade it towards the X whereas I would not have been able to with the OG.

I missed out on this trade in the last time around because I was out of town, thanks OP.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
Awesome! I'm in the same boat, I'll get this and prob trade it in towards the X if the trade in deal comes back around.
Sep 30, 2008
29 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
8008135 wrote: Just left EB with my new console, it is the Gears/Halo bundle. Just needed the console, controller and power brick/cord.
So you didn't have to give up the kinect sensor when you traded in your console?
Feb 22, 2004
96 posts
1 upvote
Coquitlam
Do they need the hdmi cable too for the trade-in?