Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.com] eBay Big Deal: Open Box Motorola Xoom 32GB Android Tablet+Dock+Case $300 + Free Ship

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2012 7:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto

[eBay.com] eBay Big Deal: Open Box Motorola Xoom 32GB Android Tablet+Dock+Case $300 + Free Ship

There's a new eBay.ca Big Deal offer from power seller SurplusByDesign (aka Staples) that looks interesting. You get an Open Box Motorola Xoom 32GB Wi-Fi Edition with dock and case for $299.99 and free shipping.

Tablet Specs:
  • 10.1" LCD (1280x800)
  • 32GB Storage
  • 1GHz Dual-Core Tegra 2 Processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • MicroSD compatible
  • 5MP Rear Camera
  • 2MP Front Camera
  • Android 3.0 (Android 4.0 ICS upgrade was released by Motorola in January 2012)
  • 802.11a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
Not too shabby as far as Android tablet options at $300 go, I think. Do note the disclaimer: This tablet is brand new, in and open box. This item may not have any remaining manufacturer warranty. However, it is up to the buyer to verify.
55 replies
Mar 12, 2012
322 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
The price is pretty good, I had this tablet for 1 month and sold it though.

Many reasons - heavy, screen glaring terribly, picky for playing video on it etc.

But these issues are not exactly particular to Motorola, AFAIK, but to any Android tablet.
Sep 29, 2009
345 posts
113 upvotes
Kitchener
Preeeeettty tempting. Would be a nice step up from my Nook.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5212 posts
1964 upvotes
Isnt xoom 2 released ?

Anyways, playbook >
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8268 posts
2012 upvotes
Mississauga
Decent deal, I am a bit reluctant with the warranty statement though, and they are "new in open box". Uh huh.

Coz4k wrote: Isnt xoom 2 released ?

Anyways, playbook >

You're on a roll with poor quality posts, aren't you? First you do a tl;dr, now claiming a playbook >? Are you trolling or do you legitimately feel this way? Either way it explains a lot.
Feb 25, 2008
323 posts
27 upvotes
This is a really great deal for a tablet that is well supported.
The screen is a really big negative but if you can get over that you'll have a tablet that already has ICS on it as well as a really active dev community, more than you can say for most of the other higher-spec/end tablets out there now.

If I didn't already have a Tegra2 tablet (gTablet) I would be over this like a dirty shirt. I'll probably wait a bit to see how the ipad3 and the next google-branded tablet affects the market prices before buying another tab.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5212 posts
1964 upvotes
Avenger wrote: Decent deal, I am a bit reluctant with the warranty statement though, and they are "new in open box". Uh huh.

You're on a roll with poor quality posts, aren't you? First you do a tl;dr, now claiming a playbook >? Are you trolling or do you legitimately feel this way? Either way it explains a lot.

Wouldnt buy this tablet.

1- its open box
2- its oudated
3- Playbook is 199$ and superior

How is that trolling ?

Regarding your post, it was clearly a tl;dr situation. Nothing personal.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1143 posts
196 upvotes
Hmmm, I never knew Surplusbydesign was Staples. I've ordered a number of items from them in the past (damaged laptops for myself to repair, my last ipod touch) and I've always been happy with them.
Dec 3, 2009
298 posts
140 upvotes
Simcoe County
I have a few tablets, the Samsung 10.1 4G, Acer Iconia, Apple Ipad 2 3g etc, and of course the Xoom.

The xoom was the 1st tablet I purchased. It's heavy. It's not sexy.

BUT it's my favorite. Not because it was the 1st. It's my favorite because it's a solid unit, feels like it was built like a tank. If I could get the Canadian version of the xoom 3g (which wasn't released) I'd sell off the others and live a happy year or two without considering a new tablet.

Development is super active. I had ICS months ago. And ICS is amazing. Makes all the other tablets I have look like fosils

As for video players I've never found the included players on any tablet anything to write home about. I recommend Rock Player, or Daroon (daroon you'll have to get from thier website google dropped it from the market recently. But it's great plays everything I toss at it.)

If you get a xoom, upgrade to the latest software (using OTA updates) and then when your fully upgraded you can toss verizon's ICS release on it and you'll have a great tablet.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
Coz4k wrote: Isnt xoom 2 released ?

Anyways, playbook >

The new Xoom (called the Xyboard) isn't a great update except for dimensions/weight. It's much thinner and lighter than the Xoom (100g lighter and 4mm thinner). With the hardware though it's all the same generation of stuff, OMAP4 instead of Tegra 2 which are the same speed clock for clock (this one is 20% faster thanks to being 1.2ghz). GPU is about the same. The Xyboard also has no SD slot and apparently no gyro either (going by the specs).

It's a minor revision, really, not an upgrade. Considering it's $200 more and doesn't include a dock or case, I'd consider this the far superior deal.

Plus Android 4.0 craps all over BlackBerryOS and they're totally different sizes. It depends what you want it for, but I prefer having a smart phone + 10" tablet.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11021 posts
3583 upvotes
Tablet is VERY heavy and it's an older tablet. If you want an Adroid, pony up an extra $100 and get the Samsung Galaxy.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5212 posts
1964 upvotes
champdood wrote: The new Xoom (called the Xyboard) isn't a great update except for dimensions/weight. It's much thinner and lighter than the Xoom (100g lighter and 4mm thinner). With the hardware though it's all the same generation of stuff, OMAP4 instead of Tegra 2 which are the same speed clock for clock (this one is 20% faster thanks to being 1.2ghz). GPU is about the same. The Xyboard also has no SD slot and apparently no gyro either (going by the specs).

It's a minor revision, really, not an upgrade. Considering it's $200 more and doesn't include a dock or case, I'd consider this the far superior deal.

Plus Android 4.0 craps all over BlackBerryOS and they're totally different sizes. It depends what you want it for, but I prefer having a smart phone + 10" tablet.

Good informations.

Thanked.
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
I guess it's alright but iPad 2 being 399 and 349 refurbished these days makes any Android device a really tough sell for me.

Also this should be the standard price for brand name Android tablets once Windows 8 on ARM hits...whenever that will be.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2005
5201 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
Windows 8 for life! The interface is soooo smooth, loving the metro interface. I think the tablets are supposed to drop in October 2012

QUOTE=disolitude;14435649]I guess it's alright but iPad 2 being 399 and 349 refurbished these days makes any Android device a really tough sell for me.

Also this should be the standard price for brand name Android tablets once Windows 8 on ARM hits...whenever that will be.[/QUOTE]
Oct 31, 2010
629 posts
391 upvotes
Edmonton
Coz4k wrote: Anyways, playbook >

Either you just escaped from an assylum or you havn't used both tablets.
Nov 7, 2006
185 posts
16 upvotes
Grand-Mere
How is weight, screen glare and video support an Android tablet issue?! I love my iPad, I think the iPad-bestest-current-gen is very good but damn you took some bad arguments to hit on Android. Might as well add that the problem with Android tablets is customization and I/Os.

Most of the new Android tablets, and CES announced tablets weight less than the new iPad and have screens that use the SAME gorilla glass technology. As far as video format support... Really?! Most android builds play MKV and every format out of the box. On iOS you need an APP. My phone converts MKV / divx / whatnot to the lower screen rez by simply drag and dropping into a folder on the phone.

Apple fansbo
Sep 17, 2009
494 posts
64 upvotes
Is the Acer Iconia Tab better than the Xoom?
[removed for signature violation]
Apr 23, 2011
902 posts
112 upvotes
TORONTO
CharlieSheen911 wrote: Is the Acer Iconia Tab better than the Xoom?

It depends on what you want

battery life, xoom is longer (assuming the batteries aren't worn/damaged)
weight, iconia is lighter (actually, xoom is quite possibly the heaviest in this size)
ICS support, xoom is better

screens are the same
size is roughly the same