Shopping Discussion

Ebay: buyer request refund, what to do next?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8826 posts
1897 upvotes
London

Ebay: buyer request refund, what to do next?

I sold something to a buyer in Japan on March 8 and sent it out on the same day with Canada Post small packet air (no tracking), total of the item is $77 including shipping.
Made a mistake on the shipping label and the item was sent back to me by Canada Post on March 18, resent it on same day with consent from buyer, I offered him either I resent it or refund him.
Today, he requested a refund through ebay claiming undelivered. He told me through another email and claimed that he understand present shipping situation due to the virus but wishes to protect himself before the 30 days is over for any claim and will resent me the money once he received it.
I don't think he will do it . There is only two option left for me:

1) refund the guy and no need to pay the 12% fee to ebay
2) Ask ebay to step in and hope I win but if I lose I have to pay the ebay fee as well,

I prefer option 1 but wonder if anyone with experience can chip in some comment. TIA
10 replies
May 27, 2011
437 posts
264 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Did u save the email? If so forward to Ebay. Hope you kept documentation that you sent the item.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8465 posts
2130 upvotes
refund him him, because you will lose once he asks ebay. Hope he is honest and repays, but there is no need for him to be. no proof=lose
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1765 posts
291 upvotes
Pluto
When I used to sell on eBay I'd never sell without tracking, it is an easy way for them to claim not received and eBay almost always sides with the buyer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8826 posts
1897 upvotes
London
katonfire wrote: Did u save the email? If so forward to Ebay. Hope you kept documentation that you sent the item.
I have pictures of the parcel with shipping label and everything but don't think ebay will side with me since according to their seller protection policy, under $750 item with tracking and over $750 with tracking and signature. So If I don't have proof of delivery, I will lose for sure.
zoro69 wrote: refund him him, because you will lose once he asks ebay. Hope he is honest and repays, but there is no need for him to be. no proof=lose
I have told the buyer that I'll refund him on April 10, hopefully he is honest and item will arrive before Friday.
Purgatory wrote: When I used to sell on eBay I'd never sell without tracking, it is an easy way for them to claim not received and eBay almost always sides with the buyer.
Yes, I know but he shown me that he received something some another seller from Alberta ($150 worth item) picture of the parcel via small packet air as well. the Alberta seller left positive feedback, anyway it is just bad luck due to this Wuhan Virus situation, checked with Canada Post, air mail to Japan is subject to long delay due to lack of air transportation.

Thank you all for the reply.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4014 posts
260 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I had a item even with tracking numbers I lost the case.Only way to win a case is signature confirmation but those options especially sending to other countries are very expensive.I always wonder how these expensive watch seller sleep at night sending $10,000 watches to people without fear of a chargeback or the buyer saying the item they sent was "fake" and they actually send back a fake one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34445 posts
20469 upvotes
Center of Universe
gizmo8 wrote: I had a item even with tracking numbers I lost the case.Only way to win a case is signature confirmation but those options especially sending to other countries are very expensive.I always wonder how these expensive watch seller sleep at night sending $10,000 watches to people without fear of a chargeback or the buyer saying the item they sent was "fake" and they actually send back a fake one.
People buy $10K watches off eBay unseen?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8474 posts
4804 upvotes
ON
gizmo8 wrote: I had a item even with tracking numbers I lost the case.Only way to win a case is signature confirmation but those options especially sending to other countries are very expensive.I always wonder how these expensive watch seller sleep at night sending $10,000 watches to people without fear of a chargeback or the buyer saying the item they sent was "fake" and they actually send back a fake one.
They buy insurance. If the package is lost or damaged, they still get paid. Make sure you cover your butt when it comes to transactions on eBay and such where you would have no recourse when dealing with someone shady.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8826 posts
1897 upvotes
London
Thanks to all replied, just to make sure for people who read this thread to make sue to send with tracking otherwise.... In any case I am not going to sell via ebay anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4014 posts
260 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
vkizzle wrote: People buy $10K watches off eBay unseen?
All the time.You must trust their feedbacks.I bought a Rolex Explorer I off a New York seller.He had over 800 feedbacks on expensive watches.Got it inspected by Rolex and everything was good,all numbers matched.Insurance means nothing if the "buyer" sends back a fake watch saying thats the one they received.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3259 posts
1946 upvotes
Kitchener
Bigger question: How do they sleep at night with the insane eBay sellers fees. Especially since they offer very little seller protection. What are we paying them for?

I sold 2 items the past month, I am a very occasional seller. First sale and the guy had good feedback rating, outbid someone the last minute. Contacted me an hour *after* auction ended that he was backing out due to him being sick. 2nd item I sold, the buyer never paid, feedback on him was 0, new user. Excellent communication BEFORE auction ended, but no communication after. I am still waiting for eBay to remove sellers fees of about $110, but no, you have to wait for refund on unsold items.

Kijiji is sometimes better, but freaking Kijiji lets all users provide bad feedback because you didn't 'negotiate' to sell them an item easily valued at, say, a 2016 BMW you're selling for $19,000 and they come in at $2,500. Or selling a year old MacBook Pro for $1,500 and they think it's worth $75. iPhone 11? You're a bad person if you sell it for more than $100. Yeah, kijiji is nuts.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?