• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 3:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1125 posts
528 upvotes

EBay: Buyer saying he never recieved the item

Listed on eBay during the free listing promo.

Shipped it out via Canada Post, and now 1 month later the buyer is saying he never got the package.

I've opened an investigation with USPS and am waiting to hear back from them, but in the meantime I did my own research.

The address the seller provided me goes to this mail forwarding company:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SUjDZ7ybRA3pYxNq6

The reviews for this place is full of people saying this company assists in fraud and scams.....

Buyer has opened a case and eBay wants me to respond within 3 days.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to take the loss.. And refund this guy. Either he's scamming me or he got scammed himself.

Any advice on what I can do.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1052 posts
117 upvotes
Do you have tracking? If it says its delivered then you should be fine. Otherwise you will have no choice but to refund the buyer.
Mar 5, 2018
230 posts
102 upvotes
I hear many horrible stories when selling on eBay, they can say that they receive a brick instead of your iPhone then you have to refund them.
When I bought something on eBay, if it passes the estimated shipping time, I requested a refund. It happened to me several the item arrived some time later. I always send back the seller the purchase amount. I daren't bought something with big amount on eBay :-)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1125 posts
528 upvotes
skinnyp wrote: Do you have tracking? If it says its delivered then you should be fine. Otherwise you will have no choice but to refund the buyer.
Tracking shows that someone picked it up.

This is a commercial address so they had to come inside the post office to recieve it.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10858 posts
1999 upvotes
Toronto
PerformingAzura wrote: Listed on eBay during the free listing promo.

Shipped it out via Canada Post, and now 1 month later the buyer is saying he never got the package.

I've opened an investigation with USPS and am waiting to hear back from them, but in the meantime I did my own research.

The address the seller provided me goes to this mail forwarding company:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SUjDZ7ybRA3pYxNq6

The reviews for this place is full of people saying this company assists in fraud and scams.....

Buyer has opened a case and eBay wants me to respond within 3 days.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to take the loss.. And refund this guy. Either he's scamming me or he got scammed himself.

Any advice on what I can do.
I doubt the business itself is assisting in scams, it's more likely people are using the business to scam sellers.

Let me guess, you accepted the money on paypal and paypal isn't going to help you? This is the exact reason I don't use paypal (at least on ebay, I have an account that I use if someone abroad is going to send me money but it's sent in a manner that they can't dispute anything).

There's been tons of scams done via ebay. On the flip side there are many honest sellers but a lot of dishonest ones as well.

In the end I think you will be out of luck. Even if you had a signature paypal will always side with the buyer.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2529 posts
1308 upvotes
London
first thing u can do is call ebay and provide there customer service the tracking number as long as it shows delivered they should close the case out in ur favor well your on the phone with them.

some other things u can do try contacting this shipping forwarder most of them claim that if a seller thinks someone is using there service for fraud they will work with u. give them the tracking number and find out if they got the package. if they did find if its still there or if its been forwarded already if its hasn't been sent off request they return it to you. if it has been sent out then ask them if they can contact the shipper to inception the package.
Apr 29, 2018
936 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
If you can prove delivery to the address and that someone received it at the location, then the PayPal Dispute will be decided in your favour. I would also suggest calling up PayPal tomorrow and explaining the scenario to them.

Tell the automated system that "I would like to speak to an agent" and it will connect you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1125 posts
528 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: If you can prove delivery to the address and that someone received it at the location, then the PayPal Dispute will be decided in your favour. I would also suggest calling up PayPal tomorrow and explaining the scenario to them.

Tell the automated system that "I would like to speak to an agent" and it will connect you.
I followed your advice and contacted the company,and they confirmed the item arrived, and they confirmed the buyer's name, so it was processed properly.

The buyer is likely trying to scam me.

I'm going to respond to the ebay request with that information, but I'm going to contact ebay before I do so.

The issue hasn't been escalated to PayPal yet.
Apr 29, 2018
936 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
PerformingAzura wrote: I followed your advice and contacted the company,and they confirmed the item arrived, and they confirmed the buyer's name, so it was processed properly.

The buyer is likely trying to scam me.

I'm going to respond to the ebay request with that information, but I'm going to contact ebay before I do so.

The issue hasn't been escalated to PayPal yet.
I have had similar buyers too, so yeah most likely. Though you don't have anything to worry about. The item was delivered to the address (with proof) and that is the end of your responsibility. Once the dispute is escalated to eBay/PayPal is when you'd need to contact support.

They will be able to close the case for you right there on the phone.
Nov 12, 2014
917 posts
589 upvotes
Kingston, ON
kramer1 wrote: I have had similar buyers too, so yeah most likely. Though you don't have anything to worry about. The item was delivered to the address (with proof) and that is the end of your responsibility. Once the dispute is escalated to eBay/PayPal is when you'd need to contact support.

Did Bob Sacamano try this scam too?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1125 posts
528 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: I have had similar buyers too, so yeah most likely. Though you don't have anything to worry about. The item was delivered to the address (with proof) and that is the end of your responsibility. Once the dispute is escalated to eBay/PayPal is when you'd need to contact support.

Turns out I didn't need to do anything.

When I called ebay the automatic system said my claim was decided in my favor. I stayed on the line anyways and a live agent said the same thing.

I guess I started the USPS investigation for nothing...
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5753 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Just be careful in these situations. If you're shipping, make sure to only ship to the Paypal address. If you sent it to another address other than the Paypal one, you could be on the hook for it. I hear horror stories all of the time because my hobby involves a lot of buying and selling to people that are located all over the world.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1125 posts
528 upvotes
Havo wrote: Just be careful in these situations. If you're shipping, make sure to only ship to the Paypal address. If you sent it to another address other than the Paypal one, you could be on the hook for it. I hear horror stories all of the time because my hobby involves a lot of buying and selling to people that are located all over the world.
Seller initially ask me to ship to Ecuador instead of his PayPal address, but I declined since I wasn't sure if Canada Post had adequate tracking there.

Good thing I didn't do that.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2529 posts
1308 upvotes
London
PerformingAzura wrote: Seller initially ask me to ship to Ecuador instead of his PayPal address, but I declined since I wasn't sure if Canada Post had adequate tracking there.

Good thing I didn't do that.
had u done that he would have filed a claim with paypal because u would have shipped to an address that isn't confirmed on his account. that's why u always only ship to the confirmed address and ship with tracking and if the value is high pay the extra for the signature required.

when u print the label online there also a free option u can check off that says do not safe drop. when this option is checked they aren't required to get a signature but they are required to physically give the package to a person vs just dropping the package at the door if no one is home then they are not aloud to leave it the person will have to go pick it up. best buy does this on all packages they ship with canada post.

if u are really suspicious of the person u can also for free select the Card for pickup option this will force the person to go to the post office to pick it up where they will have to show id in order to get the package so makes it rather hard for them to scam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1125 posts
528 upvotes
I can't catch a break with this guy.

He's trying to return the gpu now because audio through HDMI isn't working....

His proof is just a photo of his computer running the audio troubleshooter....

Again not sure what do do. What after to scam me once already I'm uneasy about accepting a return.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
4134 posts
32219 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got scammed out of a $20 item, because buyer simply did same thing. Never contacted me, just puts up a didn't receive dispute. I called him out on it with the ebay response centre, I always leave positive feedback right away, and said Nice Freebie Jerk. He didn't even leave negative feedback, but yeah, the system is flawed. If you can't prove that he received it with tracking, there are always going to be a few scammers waiting to get their claws dirty. Hopefully that world will stop. There's no good in scamming for junk, since obviously most things are going to be tracked/insured if they are worth anything.

That being said, I only ship within North America. Tracking overseas is too much, and I rather not risk anything to chance, but have a tracking number. I also once noticed someone hit me with a resolution/dispute claim of a Wayne Gretzky hockey game in box for wii. I shipped tracking. He retracted it, but something makes me thing he figured that out, and wasn't trying to pull total bull on me when he figured that out.

I always say no returns, something should have to travel back and forth in the mail. I had lots of pc games when I used to game years and years ago. Always trying to sell them off, and used to buy lots and now still have a ton of it, but some of it isn't worth much, so I'll put it up when it's valuable enough to sell and be worth it to tab on the shipping cost. Even envelope mailers with no tracking cost a lot via Canada Post. Anyone know a cheaper way of sending bubble wrapped cd mailers down south? Still a good price on domestic.