• Jun 7th, 2015 5:19 pm
Tags:
None
32 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2179 posts
5060 upvotes
It's been cheaper on Ashford.com even after paying duty, but since CAD is pretty weak right now I'd say this is a decent price.
Dec 17, 2014
280 posts
58 upvotes
Eastern Canada
While the museum isn't exactly my cup of tea that is a very good price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
I'm wearing this watch with silver rim, looks very nice and just classic.
The rim scratches easily and I have already had to replace the wrist strap. Other than that, nice and simple watch.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2687 posts
1172 upvotes
North York
devil2k wrote: That's a beautiful watch but at $2k there are better choices.
agreed. it's really unfortunate and makes a quartz movado that much more attractive. i guess most ppl who can spend 2k on a watch have money to burn so they don't really care about value for money.
May 2, 2011
228 posts
44 upvotes
I'm still not sure how it happened but I ended up buying a Seiko SARB033 because of this thread....

Thanks OP...
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
http://www.jomashop.com/movado-watch-2100005.html

$229.00 Dads and Grads Sale

Our Price:
$329.00
Retail:
$595.00
Savings:
62%
Shipping:
FREE
(In Stock - Available for Immediate Shipment!)

Which deal is better? How much duty do they charge on these things anyway?

Edit: OP's deal is better. Thanks OP!
Dec 17, 2014
280 posts
58 upvotes
Eastern Canada
quazy wrote: love this watch but much more beautiful with silver bezel. at this price i can handle quartz but it sucks that you have to pay a massive premium for mechanical now.

http://www.movado.com/movado-collections/red-label.html
The fit and finish is better on the red label watches. Wouldn't be worth the premium for the movement alone. The ETA 2824-2 goes from $100 for undecorated and up depending on the level of decoration and modification.
Nov 24, 2007
500 posts
431 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Beware. Movado has two lines of the Museum that look IDENTICAL to each other, but one is made in Switzerland the other "overseas". The Swiss line is generally restricted to jewellery stores, and the other to the mass merchants and is built to sell at a lower price. The Swiss one says "Swiss Made", the other says "Swiss Quartz". I had a very good discussion with the head of Movado Canada after purchasing the "other one" at Sears "on sale".
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
orange260z wrote: Beware. Movado has two lines of the Museum that look IDENTICAL to each other, but one is made in Switzerland the other "overseas". The Swiss line is generally restricted to jewellery stores, and the other to the mass merchants and is built to sell at a lower price. The Swiss one says "Swiss Made", the other says "Swiss Quartz". I had a very good discussion with the head of Movado Canada after purchasing the "other one" at Sears "on sale".
I got mine and it says Swiss Quartz.

But both are genuine Movado watches right? Has to be if they are selling them at Sears.

Just one of less quality from what you are suggesting. How long have you had yours? Have you notice any issues with the watch besides where it was made?
Nov 24, 2007
500 posts
431 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
They are both genuine Movado. They both have a Swiss quartz movement. However, one was made in Switzerland and retails for $600-800, the other is made in China and is built to retail at $250-400.

I returned the Chinese one to Sears and bought a real Swiss one - I wanted to buy my wife a real "Swiss watch", not a "Swiss brand watch". She's had it now for about 4 years, and it works fine.

Personally, if I'm going to buy a Swiss watch I want it to be Swiss Made. If not, I will buy a Japan-made Seiko or Citizen which are probably the best bang for the buck anywhere.
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
Im fine with that then, had I paid $600 for it then I would be singing a different song.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2359 posts
2278 upvotes
Montréal
I've had 2 of these - one of them came from a Toronto jewelery store and was destroyed within a year or so - scratches on the face, finally the crown fell off and water entered the watch while i was swimming (yes i know, not ideal). It got scratched so much on the face I was so disappointed.

I bought a second one from Sears a few years ago and it has taken non-stop abuse and i dont see any scratches on the rim or the glass..... i did have to replace the leather band once and may do so again though....
Nov 24, 2007
500 posts
431 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My biggest beef with them is that they are both retailed as "The Museum Watch" and don't have any other unique identifier, except for the "Swiss Made" vs "Swiss Quartz", and they both have the same MSRP of $700 or whatever. However, their actual retail prices are very different. That's pretty deceptive marketing IMHO.

It's not a question of the watch being bad or good, it's a matter of transparency and clarity. You should be able to easily know what you are buying.
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
I get what you are saying but for me personally, if the only discernable difference between the two is one word on the face of the watch and the ethnicity of the guy who put it together then it's inconsequential to me. As long as it functions the same and it's genuine then I'm ok with that.

Paying 300+ dollars or more for the two things I mentioned above seems silly to me, especially if there is no difference functionally.

I do appreciate that you educated me on the difference though, thanks!