Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eBay.ca; Newegg

Seagate Constellation 3TB 7200 Enterprise Hard Drive refurb ($55.85 delivered)

[OP]
Jul 15, 2009
515 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto

Seagate Constellation 3TB 7200 Enterprise Hard Drive refurb ($55.85 delivered)

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
June 29, 2018
Retailer:
eBay.ca; Newegg
Use the eBay 15% off coupon today (PERFECTDAY) to get these drives for $55.85 each total (tax and delivery included!), which is nice if you failed to pull the trigger on the HGST drives earlier this year.

Huge disclaimer that these are REFURBISHED drives (i.e. used drives from a data center server where they ran 24hrs a day).

TIPS:
1) Only use these drives in a redundant array setup (e.g. perfect option for your NAS, terrible option if you're adding a single drive to your computer to use to backup pictures)
2) IMPORTANT! Run a pre-clearance stress test of death on the drives as soon as you get them--if they survive, they'll last for years, if they die then you can return them within 30 days. I run 3 cycles of the unRAID pre-clearance script. You'll want to start stress testing them immediately, since the tests can take a week or more.
3) Remember that these are enterprise class drives, so if they do survive the stress test, chances are really good they'll give you years of trouble free usage.
1 reply
[OP]
Jul 15, 2009
515 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
Just going to post an update that might be helpful for people picking up refurbished Constellations from Newegg if they become available again.

I got 2 drives. They both had about 4yrs on time. One drive was clean in terms of SMART, while the other had ~30 reallocated sectors. Both drives precleared without any problems, so I'm pretty satisfied that that problem area on the drive with bad sectors isn't growing. All-in-all I'm really happy with the purchase and will definitely grab more when they become available again.