Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 13, 2014
4 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[eBay.ca] RayBan Wayfarer Sunglasses for $99.99 w/ Free shipping

This is from the Ebay 3rd Birthday Frenzy. Comes with free shipping.
23 replies
Sep 22, 2008
987 posts
1003 upvotes
Montreal
saw this on main ebay page like 5 minutes ago
you should mention that they're Polarized, which is a big plus
Oct 3, 2008
371 posts
109 upvotes
Canada
Anyone know where to get the knock off ones. Aliexpress does not have them anymore it seems and they were pretty good replicas.
Mar 30, 2010
198 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
Ordered a pair! Thanks!

I missed out on an Amazon.com deal a year ago, polarized 2140s for a similar price... by the time I finished checking out they were OOS > :(

Ended up getting a pair of non-polarized New Wayfarer's in tortoiseshell instead (and they're awesome!), but I've always been kicking myself for missing out on these!
Oct 24, 2015
1 posts
Markham, ON
nmycon wrote: Ordered a pair! Thanks!

I missed out on an Amazon.com deal a year ago, polarized 2140s for a similar price... by the time I finished checking out they were OOS > :(

Ended up getting a pair of non-polarized New Wayfarer's in tortoiseshell instead (and they're awesome!), but I've always been kicking myself for missing out on these!
Do you know if these are legit?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9718 posts
4511 upvotes
Toronto
GRANDISON wrote: Anyone know where to get the knock off ones. Aliexpress does not have them anymore it seems and they were pretty good replicas.
what do you mean they don't have them? did they ban them?
Dec 25, 2005
714 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
if these were the 54 mm lenses, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger.
Mar 30, 2010
198 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
petepw wrote: So... how do we know these are genuine?
Top-rated seller (from Canada, not China) with 99.9% feedback, not to mention the listing being advertised by eBay as part of their birthday celebration...

I'm willing to take a chance :P
Banned
Mar 21, 2010
196 posts
34 upvotes
Canada
GRANDISON wrote: Anyone know where to get the knock off ones. Aliexpress does not have them anymore it seems and they were pretty good replicas.
Fake glasses don't have proper UV protection and will wreck your eyes.

As for the Ray Ban's, saw this earlier today while on eBay and bought a pair. The same model from Sunglass Hut, but in 54mm, costed me nearly $250 last year. Ended up bringing them back because they too big on my head and I just couldn't justify the price. Patience paid off :) .
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
inglourious wrote: Fake glasses don't have proper UV protection and will wreck your eyes.

As for the Ray Ban's, saw this earlier today while on eBay and bought a pair. The same model from Sunglass Hut, but in 54mm, costed me nearly $250 last year. Ended up bringing them back because they too big on my head and I just couldn't justify the price. Patience paid off :) .
Source? Even the worst lenses should filter UV, it's not that hard.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
inglourious wrote: http://www.livescience.com/2516-beware- ... asses.html

I wouldn't risk it to save a few bucks, however, they're your eyes so do what you want.
Though your article is speculative and contradicts it self, see:
Price doesn't matter, either. Many studies — some scientific, published in peer-reviewed journals, and others more on the anecdotal side, by fearless television reporters — have found $15 sunglasses to be as good or better at blocking UV as $400 designer shades.

Better than that, why not actually look at a test?
https://youtu.be/CG7aBul033I
Banned
Mar 21, 2010
196 posts
34 upvotes
Canada
Kasakato wrote: Though your article is speculative and contradicts it self, see:
Price doesn't matter, either. Many studies — some scientific, published in peer-reviewed journals, and others more on the anecdotal side, by fearless television reporters — have found $15 sunglasses to be as good or better at blocking UV as $400 designer shades.

Better than that, why not actually look at a test?
https://youtu.be/CG7aBul033I
More:

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-looks/ ... sses-safe/

http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/04/c ... your-eyes/

You don't know what you're getting with knock off glasses. Just because they're dim, doesn't mean they have UV protection. Do you really trust some Chinese factory producing knock offs made specifically to cheat customers to use proper UV protection?

Point being, unless you buy them from a reputable dealer, you have no idea what you're getting. I'd rather not take the chance because I'm not broke.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
inglourious wrote: More:

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-looks/ ... sses-safe/

http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/04/c ... your-eyes/

You don't know what you're getting with knock off glasses. Just because they're dim, doesn't mean they have UV protection. Do you really trust some Chinese factory producing knock offs made specifically to cheat customers to use proper UV protection?

Point being, unless you buy them from a reputable dealer, you have no idea what you're getting. I'd rather not take the chance because I'm not broke.
I'm not seeing the mass fake glasses issue you referred to reflected in your articles:
So does price matter? Sunglasses with hefty price tags aren’t necessarily better than the $20 variety. ‘UV protection costs only pennies so you can get it at any price,’ says Chou. ‘But inexpensive lenses may have marginal optical quality. This won’t do any damage, but the distortion can cause headaches or dizziness that can leave you feeling miserable.’

So how can you make sure that you’re buying a good pair of sunglasses? You don’t necessarily have to spend a ton of money. Of course $100 polarized and polycarbonate lenses will come with the full range of protection, but even cheap drug store glasses are often guaranteed to block some UVA and UVB — a feature that manufacturers can add to plastic lenses simply by dipping them in a special solution, Bizer says, and that can even be added to clear lenses.
Banned
Mar 21, 2010
196 posts
34 upvotes
Canada
Kasakato wrote: I'm not seeing the mass fake glasses issue you referred to reflected in your articles:
So does price matter? Sunglasses with hefty price tags aren’t necessarily better than the $20 variety. ‘UV protection costs only pennies so you can get it at any price,’ says Chou. ‘But inexpensive lenses may have marginal optical quality. This won’t do any damage, but the distortion can cause headaches or dizziness that can leave you feeling miserable.’

So how can you make sure that you’re buying a good pair of sunglasses? You don’t necessarily have to spend a ton of money. Of course $100 polarized and polycarbonate lenses will come with the full range of protection, but even cheap drug store glasses are often guaranteed to block some UVA and UVB — a feature that manufacturers can add to plastic lenses simply by dipping them in a special solution, Bizer says, and that can even be added to clear lenses.
"Wearing sunglasses that do not provide enough UV protection may be as harmful as not wearing any at all, explains Praveena Gupta, an optometrist in the ophthalmology and visual sciences department at the University of Texas Medical Branch. ‘Your pupils constrict in bright light and dilate in dim light, so when you wear sunglasses, they dilate. Without adequate UV protection, you are letting more of the harmful UV light into your eyes.’"

"Without UV-protective sunglasses, you are exposing your eyes to hazardous ultra-violet (UV) light that, over time, may lead to cataracts (a clouding of the lens) and macular degeneration (the leading cause of vision loss in the elderly)."

"Yet, according to ophthalmologists, spending the $5 for trendy glasses that don’t block out ultraviolet rays may ultimately cost you more than going without."

"As everyone knows, when it’s really bright out you squint and your pupils constrict to tiny dots — as small as half a millimeter in diameter — to limit the amount of light getting in. When you put on sunglasses, the effect is the same as being in darkened room, the pupil dilates to let in more light."
"Glasses that don’t block UV rays may offer some relief from visible light and reduce your need to squint, but the additional exposure to UVA and UVB can be harmful. “Let’s suppose you put on a very dark pair of sunglasses,” Bizer says, “Your pupil opens up, it dramatically changes in size from half a millimeter to 5 or 6 millimeters. It’s an enormous increase, and now you’re allowing much more [harmful light] into your eyes than if you didn’t wear the cheap sunglasses at all.”

"He recommends buying from a reliable source, and checking for stickers or tags that guarantee to block UVA and UVB. “You should be able to buy a decent pair of [relatively cheap] sunglasses at a reputable place,” he said. That, Bizer says, probably means skipping the street vendors, who are often flogging wares that don’t comply with FDA standards. —By Tiffany Sharples"

I never mentioned cheap glasses at the drug store, I am referring to FAKE Ray Ban's. Fake glasses of any kind aren't "from a reliable source".

Anyway, I am on my phone and this has turned more annoying than it should be. If you want to remain stubborn about it, so be it.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
inglourious wrote: "Wearing sunglasses that do not provide enough UV protection may be as harmful as not wearing any at all, explains Praveena Gupta, an optometrist in the ophthalmology and visual sciences department at the University of Texas Medical Branch. ‘Your pupils constrict in bright light and dilate in dim light, so when you wear sunglasses, they dilate. Without adequate UV protection, you are letting more of the harmful UV light into your eyes.’"

"Without UV-protective sunglasses, you are exposing your eyes to hazardous ultra-violet (UV) light that, over time, may lead to cataracts (a clouding of the lens) and macular degeneration (the leading cause of vision loss in the elderly)."

"Yet, according to ophthalmologists, spending the $5 for trendy glasses that don’t block out ultraviolet rays may ultimately cost you more than going without."

"As everyone knows, when it’s really bright out you squint and your pupils constrict to tiny dots — as small as half a millimeter in diameter — to limit the amount of light getting in. When you put on sunglasses, the effect is the same as being in darkened room, the pupil dilates to let in more light."
"Glasses that don’t block UV rays may offer some relief from visible light and reduce your need to squint, but the additional exposure to UVA and UVB can be harmful. “Let’s suppose you put on a very dark pair of sunglasses,” Bizer says, “Your pupil opens up, it dramatically changes in size from half a millimeter to 5 or 6 millimeters. It’s an enormous increase, and now you’re allowing much more [harmful light] into your eyes than if you didn’t wear the cheap sunglasses at all.”

"He recommends buying from a reliable source, and checking for stickers or tags that guarantee to block UVA and UVB. “You should be able to buy a decent pair of [relatively cheap] sunglasses at a reputable place,” he said. That, Bizer says, probably means skipping the street vendors, who are often flogging wares that don’t comply with FDA standards. —By Tiffany Sharples"

I never mentioned cheap glasses at the drug store, I am referring to FAKE Ray Ban's. Fake glasses of any kind aren't "from a reliable source".

Anyway, I am on my phone and this has turned more annoying than it should be. If you want to remain stubborn about it, so be it.
So far all your articles do not link price and uv protection conclusively. In fact most have said cheap ($15+) lenses are fine. One specified less than 1% of all lenses tested failed their test. I'm not sure how a reasonable person can conclude fake frames equal poor uv protection.

I'm also not sure where you can buy the kind of $1 fake Ray Bans that are likely to have plain plastic lenses. All knock offs I've seen cost at least $20+, perfectly in the range of uv blocking referred to in your articles.

But hey keep drinking the Luxottica kool aid, my investments are working out well.