Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] $200 Petro-Canada Gift Card for $195 (+ $15/30$ preferred price card)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2017 12:03 am
Oct 22, 2008
231 posts
127 upvotes
Gatineau, qc
I will admit this is nowhere near the great deal that the previous iterations were. But to say that getting the 4% cash back on your CC is better than this (supposing your card does provide that percentage) is a tad overblown.

Fact is you can get $200 for $195, making this %2.5 back.
Add 0.5% from GCR.
Add the $0.03 per liter. We'll count this as a 2%
Add the percentage you will get on your CC for your online purchase (normally somewhere between 0.5% and 2%)

So, all in all, one could reasonable expect to get a 5.5% back on purchase after everything is accounted for. In most cases, this is still better than with the credit card alone.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
211 upvotes
EdwardGamma wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 11:46 am
The "Preferred Price Card" could not work with gift card together, confirmed by multiple PC stations in Ottawa. Unless they "fixed" the "issue" because it was working in July when I bought the $0.05 saving card.
Same as BC - it is **** house
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Aug 2, 2009
245 posts
116 upvotes
Coquitlam
springdays wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:12 pm
+1. same here. It is so stupid. PASS
Aug 5, 2015
91 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto, ON
the_cid666 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:09 pm
I will admit this is nowhere near the great deal that the previous iterations were. But to say that getting the 4% cash back on your CC is better than this (supposing your card does provide that percentage) is a tad overblown.

Fact is you can get $200 for $195, making this %2.5 back.
Add 0.5% from GCR.
Add the $0.03 per liter. We'll count this as a 2%
Add the percentage you will get on your CC for your online purchase (normally somewhere between 0.5% and 2%)

So, all in all, one could reasonable expect to get a 5.5% back on purchase after everything is accounted for. In most cases, this is still better than with the credit card alone.
Its an okay deal, (upvote for the OP for bringing this to the forums) but consider the below

1) you don't get GCR 0.5% back. This is consider a special EBay Deal (as it has been sent out on the Ebay Deal emails) and a Gas Gift card. (see below terms & conditions)
2) a majority of credit cards give more than 2%. CIBC cash back card is giving 4% for gas purchases, TD 3% and any RBC CC is giving 2 cents per L off (which is 1.4% approximate plus your standard rewards... so say 3%)
3) Gift cards will run out before you can even finish 1 price privilege card. For most users here.. I assume we have finished the gift cards already and still have a 2-3 price privilege cards to burn from before
4) The inconvenience of paying inside the store when your GC is down to $10 or something. You can't run the GC down to $0 at the pump because you always have the price priviledge card (unless you don't use it). Also, from previous posts, some provinces (believe in BC) don't let you stack multiple GC payments at the till. I usually wait til i have 4 GCs with $10-15 left and then go in to make 1 purchase with 4 GCs since Ontario lets us stack gift cards. Hate to see the guy behind me in line tho :P

Not really justifying the inconvenience to have GCs around just to save an extra 1.5% (that's $3 from $200) for me when I can get 3- 4.5% already from the CC, plus use the remaining price privilege cards from before!

==========

0.5% Cash Back on ALL gift cards, ecards and egift cards. See exclusions below.

Re : Consumer Electronics, Gift Cards, and Coins & Paper Money
Cash back available for consumer to consumer transactions versus from an enterprise seller.
Cash Back is NOT available on special eBay deals for Consumer Electronics, Gift Cards, and Coins & Paper Money.

Cash Back is NOT available within the following categories: eBay branded Gift Cards, Gas Gift cards, Bullion, coupons, eBay Motors (including Vehicles, Motorcycles, Boats, and Powersports; excluding Parts & Accessories), any form of Real Estate, and Heavy Equipment within the Business & Industrial category.
Oct 4, 2010
301 posts
75 upvotes
Surrey
no issues with using the gift card and preferred price together here in BC. are you looking at the right place on the receipt? It shows the normal price, then at the very bottom the discounted price charged to your card after 5cents off is applied.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
211 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:34 pm
no issues with using the gift card and preferred price together here in BC. are you looking at the right place on the receipt? It shows the normal price, then at the very bottom the discounted price charged to your card after 5cents off is applied.
Odd. My local ones won't allow it - the store said they tried everything and the system rejects it - and asked me to call Petro Canada.

Looks like another poster has same issue - this YMMV makes it a dud deal.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
7430 posts
8220 upvotes
GT-EH
SumitS972792 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:48 pm
not a hot deal at all.
Agree... will wait for a flash sale promo code. ;)
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1564 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
EdwardGamma wrote:
The "Preferred Price Card" could not work with gift card together, confirmed by multiple PC stations in Ottawa. Unless they "fixed" the "issue" because it was working in July when I bought the $0.05 saving card.
I just use this combo 2 days ago at a petro station near Toronto. I got both cards from the same ebay seller a few months ago. This is hard to believe.
Apr 23, 2013
276 posts
103 upvotes
zero_ wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 2:23 pm
I just use this combo 2 days ago at a petro station near Toronto. I got both cards from the same ebay seller a few months ago. This is hard to believe.
You are welcome to try in Ottawa. Also, please read other replies.
Last edited by EdwardGamma on Sep 25th, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 18, 2015
67 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
springdays wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:12 pm
Hmm. This is definitely YMMV as I have no problem with most pumps in Vancouver.

I usually run the gift card until it has <$10, and just use that without the Preferred Price card to burn off the rest of the balance (so I am paying $0.05/0.03 more per Liter, for like 6 Litres given the current gas price) to avoid having to go inside.
Aug 22, 2012
100 posts
28 upvotes
Cold deal and people are still buying...

1,080 sold till now Neutral Face
Aug 31, 2007
242 posts
76 upvotes
I bought this card the last time and still haven't received it. Anyone else have the same problem?
Apr 24, 2014
67 posts
29 upvotes
EdwardGamma wrote:
That's weird. It works fine here in Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, Regina, & Prince Albert).
"In films when they are holding on for their lives, if you can't do a pull up you will probably die."
"Mufasa skipped back day, and so Simba lost his daddy. Do pullups or Scar will kill you and take your pride!"

Koodo $48 7GB