Expired Hot Deals

eBay.ca

$250 All-in ($220 pick-up)/24" All-in-One+K&M/Quad-core/4G RAM (xpandable)/16G Storage(xpandable)/Win10&Linux Compatible

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 9:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3470 posts
4109 upvotes

[eBay.ca] $250 All-in ($220 pick-up)/24" All-in-One+K&M/Quad-core/4G RAM (xpandable)/16G Storage(xpandable)/Win10&Linux Compatible

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124694818254

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124694818254

You save $30 if you do pick-up

It comes with brand new wired keyboard and mouse.

The CPU Intel Celeron J4105, albeit being called a vegetable, is actually surprisingly fast.

It is on par with 5th gen i7 (used by machines such as Thinkpad X250/T450/T550, Dell Latitude E7250/E7450, HP Spectre Pro x360 G1, Toshiba Portege Z30 and etc).

The reason I am recommending this listing is:

1, I bought 1 unit from this seller, unit came in original dell box (sealed) and was evidently BRAND NEW

2, the IPS 1920*1080 screen is magnificent and the speakers have amazing quality.

3, the upgrade options are limitless with an empty ram slot and an empty M2.2280 slot, a simple 8GB ram stick and a fast M2.2280 drive (less than $130) will bring this into the performance level of machines like this, but guess what, you are getting a brand new unit and a free 24 inch IPS 1080p display!

4, it comes with webcam (picture also shows that it's linux compatible as I was testing out the webcam under ubuntu liveboot) and microphone

5, it has so many ports
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-ca/wyse-5470-aio/wyse5470aio_specs/external-ports-and-connectors wrote:One RJ45, 10/100/1000
One USB 3.1 Gen 1 (side panel)
Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 (back panel)
One USB 3.1 Gen 1 with PowerShare (back panel)
One USB 2.0 (back panel)
One USB 2.0 with Smart Power On (back panel)
Line-out jack
Global Headset Audio jack
DisplayPort 1.2a
Downside:

1, it does not have wifi card, but you can use either Ethernet, or a $6 dongle https://www.ebay.ca/itm/331861622808

2, you need to install windows 10 pro yourself and if you don’t plan to upgrade the storage, it requires some careful maneuvering to turn it into a fully functional machine. after installing all drivers and some random software like chrome, 7-zip and zoom, I had 3.64GB space left, this is more than enough for a day-to-day browsing/meeting/netflix machine with several USB ports for charging up mobile devices.

if this thread gains traction, I will update with a detailed step-by-step guide on how to install windows 10 pro and how to set this machine up optimally. i don't always tinker, but when i do, i often document the process and help others save time.
Last edited by Glancealot on Aug 18th, 2021 8:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best all-in-one PCs!
18 replies
Nov 24, 2002
375 posts
604 upvotes
I follow the deals
Man, tough crowd
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7467 posts
4091 upvotes
Debtario
Solid effort OP, but I'll pass. This may be a usable basic machine (CPU may be weak, but does have hardware decoding for modern codecs ) but having to dump money into an SSD and more RAM brings up the price into uncomfortable territory for what you get here. At the end of the day it's still a thinclient first and foremost.

Worth noting this cpu is marginally better than the N4100 from previous threads, likely because it's running at 10W vs 6W https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3159vs3270
Leverage wrote: I almost felt bad downvoting this given how much thought, time, and Imgur linking went into this, but then:

This is some weird self-patting on the back.
Yeah, I noticed that. Going by the old thread about the 5470 mobile thin client, these refurb/"open box" thinclients get hyped by certain posters - particularly the initial posts of getting a brand new machine with plastic attached, and then people start getting machines with non-OEM AC adapters, SSDs glued in, and lower specs than advertised in classic ebay style disappointment. Feels as if they have something invested here, but I'm probably misreading and they are just REALLY passionate.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24325 posts
31195 upvotes
OP, I considered posting this before.

Veto'ed that impulse based on better instincts.

This is too much work, too much money, for too little payoff. Yes it's an FHD screen, but still.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2705 posts
2615 upvotes
Interesting. How are you using it though? I already have an older laptop with even weaker specs I use for surfing and printing on the side. I think it would be useful but I think most households have too many old laptops/computers to make this another addition to their line up.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1372 posts
1558 upvotes
Earth
Glancealot wrote: The CPU Intel Celeron J4105, albeit being called a vegetable, is actually surprisingly fast.
It is on par with 5th gen i7
Do you mean on par with a laptop low powered i7?

Monitor $50, mini J4105 PC $200 ish ...no value here
Zoomer: 1 account for family and planning to leave for good in 2023
Koodo too: for a phone and locked to 24 months but was a good deal.
Feb 11, 2013
330 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
This one was 129$ a few weeks back when me and few others bought the Wyse 5470 Laptop from this vendor. I was on the fence to buy this at 129$ back then and install Win 10 Pro on this. I checked all the specs and it is compatible but again I could not find anywhere on the internet on how to do the upgrade. I did not need an all-in-one so did not take a chance and attempt the upgrade. I believe it is doable but may not be than simple.

Again at the current price it is not worth it to go through all the hassle.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7467 posts
4091 upvotes
Debtario
PerformingAzura wrote: Can you use the screen as a monitor?
Nope.
cthakker wrote: This one was 129$ a few weeks back when me and few others bought the Wyse 5470 Laptop from this vendor. I was on the fence to buy this at 129$ back then and install Win 10 Pro on this. I checked all the specs and it is compatible but again I could not find anywhere on the internet on how to do the upgrade. I did not need an all-in-one so did not take a chance and attempt the upgrade. I believe it is doable but may not be than simple.

Again at the current price it is not worth it to go through all the hassle.
I've got nothing positive to say about this vendor. I cancelled my order and wanted to rebuy at the same price as my cancelled order shortly after (when an RFDer confirmed it can take more than 8GB RAM). Seller declined, jacked the price, then sent me an insultingly low offer of 4% off. Looks like they removed the mobile thin client listing after sales stalled due to the inflated price.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3470 posts
4109 upvotes
tough crowd. i mean, i am not a RFD rookie, I did market research and I tried out the machine extensively before i posted (i am not sure how to turn it into a monitor, the OSD button simply turns the screen off instead of switching between computer mode and monitor mode like some lenovo all-in-ones do, i was disappointed in this regard, but it could be just my lack of expertise)

the market price of all in one is surprisingly high (with all shops reopening and schools restarting, just check out staple and bestbuy prices below, even something half the speed and much smaller sells for over $400.

https://www.staples.ca/collections/all- ... logged-out

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection ... eLowToHigh

edit: i will do a full step-by-step tutorial of installing windows 10 pro / linux onto this thing this weekend.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Oct 21, 2011
297 posts
508 upvotes
Brampton
Up voted to Op for all the works, (I know this PC is not for everyone and a lot of work to do.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3470 posts
4109 upvotes
ihearyou wrote: What is the DP port for?
I feel that it must be for video-in but I cannot figure out how to turn the machine into monitor mode.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
5851 posts
6803 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Glancealot wrote: I feel that it must be for video-in but I cannot figure out how to turn the machine into monitor mode.
Seems more likely to be for a second monitor than input.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3078 posts
3038 upvotes
If you happen to need this exact configuration then it's super hot. It doesn't fit my particular use-cases but I appreciate the post nonetheless