Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Dell Wyse 5470 - 14" FHD, N4100, 4GB / 16GB SSD - RAM/SSD Upgradeable - $262 (CAD, Duties, Shipping, All-in) [Lower $$]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:13 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1334 posts
968 upvotes
I've never bought a refurb like this before. Can anyone comment on how the battery is handled? Like is this a new battery or one that's been used a few years?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3322 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
I'd say the downside to this deal is not the specs, but that it's eBay.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6234 posts
5824 upvotes
DanP wrote: I've never bought a refurb like this before. Can anyone comment on how the battery is handled? Like is this a new battery or one that's been used a few years?
I'd wager it's original battery.
Nov 23, 2014
486 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Celeron N4100 ? ?
LOL..i will not take it ,even if it is for FREE !
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6234 posts
5824 upvotes
beachlover wrote: I'd say the downside to this deal is not the specs, but that it's eBay.
?? As a buyer you have all the power and protection on eBay, I have zero issue buying on eBay, with the understanding that GSP can screw things up (damage in transit), and it takes a while.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2108 posts
1350 upvotes
Very attractive chromebook like spec and pricing.

Unrelated-ish question. Would it run better to install some form of a Chrome OS on it if I wanted to keep the hardware intact? Or I wouldn't notice the difference anyway with browsing and light google docs editing on windows 10? Due to some dated horrible experiences with windows 7 + dedicated ram allocated for an APU, I have been avoiding these types of machines -- but that is a 5+ year old experience and obviously with a dated OS.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6234 posts
5824 upvotes
unodos wrote: Celeron N4100 ? ?
Then, umm, don't?

The N4xxx series is actually a pretty cool product, very low power, good enough performance.

Will it run Crysis? Probably not, but not everybody wants that.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12517 posts
21022 upvotes
Just in case it was missed ,

No returns
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12517 posts
21022 upvotes
unodos wrote: Celeron N4100 ? ?
You’re in luck , it ain’t free Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6234 posts
5824 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: Very attractive chromebook like spec and pricing.

Unrelated-ish question. Would it run better to install some form of a Chrome OS on it if I wanted to keep the hardware intact? Or I wouldn't notice the difference anyway with browsing and light google docs editing on windows 10? Due to some dated horrible experiences with windows 7 + dedicated ram allocated for an APU, I have been avoiding these types of machines -- but that is a 5+ year old experience and obviously with a dated OS.
A Chromebook with the same specs will perform better, ChromeOS is very low on resource usage.

That said: if you want a Chromebook, buy a Chromebook. While shoehorning ChromeOS on other machines is done by some, I don't recommend it.
Jan 7, 2006
553 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
This is a good business class machine, it's not made of consumer grade low end stuff like Acer's are if we're comparing it the BestBUy Acer Aspire 1 that was $250 last week.

This Dell came out about a year ago, so at most it's been used for iis 12 months but likely more towards 5-6 months, not your typical 3 year off lease stuff with 500+ battery cycles.

To give some context how how little processing power you need, I'm using a 8 year old i3-2375M running at 1.5 Ghz for some of my Zoom/MS Teams/RDP client/IntelliJ/STS/VSCode. I even use occasionally it to do slicing in Cura for my 3d printer, and at one point it was my main mobile machine where I wrote/compiled/tested code and did remote support on it, half the time running a ubuntu 14/16/18 VM inside Windows 8. Why Windows as the boot OS? Because other people at home use it that are non technical, and a few clients I dealt with require Windows to connect to their vpn.

The CPU mark on my i3 is in the 900s, this "shitty celeron" is in the 2400s.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1334 posts
968 upvotes
It says 16 GB SSD, but in specs it says 16Gb eMMC.

Does that make a big difference?
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12517 posts
21022 upvotes
Just wondering how much is left of that 16GB with Win 10 Pro on it .
Sep 19, 2009
278 posts
133 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: Very attractive chromebook like spec and pricing.

I don't even know how this thing can fit win10 pro on a 16gb emmc. You're definitely going to need to install a linux distro or chromeos via brunch if you don't want terrible latency which is already rife among machines with emmc. Generally the only reason to get this is so you can stick in an NVMe SSD.
Last edited by Arkv on Sep 14th, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2745 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
Kevin711 wrote: ....
The CPU mark on my i3 is in the 900s, this "shitty celeron" is in the 2400s.
You tell 'em, cookie baby! Face With Tears Of Joy
My i3-2310m is 1166.

Upvoted all positive posts. Wondering now how many are going to delete theirs, the ones pulled out from the rump?

One concern is warranty...
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2156 posts
841 upvotes
for this price there are alot better Latitude laptop on Ebay that's i5 with good video card for the same price.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6234 posts
5824 upvotes
DanP wrote: It says 16 GB SSD, but in specs it says 16Gb eMMC.

Does that make a big difference?
eMMC is a type of SSD (basically an embedded SD Card).

It's much lower performance than an NVME SSD.

All that said: it's 16GB, which is barely usable. If you get this machine you REALLY need to install a proper SSD.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6234 posts
5824 upvotes
stephroll wrote: Just wondering how much is left of that 16GB with Win 10 Pro on it .
I'm honestly astonished they were able to fit Win 10 Pro on a 16GB device...

Assume there is zero extra space, and plan to install a proper SSD
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17390 posts
19378 upvotes
The SSD is a no-brainer upgrade. With 128GB NVMe SSDs for as little as $25, it's an easy move.

FYI, don't make an SSD purchase decision until someone here cracks one open and confirms the form factor. I'm pretty sure it'll take standard sizing though.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Sep 14th, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 22, 2020
187 posts
213 upvotes
Alberta
xpressmerchant wrote: for this price there are alot better Latitude laptop on Ebay that's i5 with good video card for the same price.
Care to share the links? I'm looking for something in the same price point and all the laptops I've seen are bulkier, heavily used/old, and probably horrible on battery life. Would love to see something in comparison to this notebook to get an idea of what's out there.