Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Dell Wyse 5470 - 14" FHD, N4100, 4GB / 16GB SSD - RAM/SSD Upgradeable - $262 (CAD, Duties, Shipping, All-in) [Lower $$]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:13 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1331 posts
956 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: for this price there are alot better Latitude laptop on Ebay that's i5 with good video card for the same price.
Links please! That sounds like a great deal.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
DanP wrote: Links please! That sounds like a great deal.
I created the eBay Laptop Thread motivated by the view that aging refurbished laptops are a good value. I still believe that.

However, here are the caveats:
(1) Aging refurbished units are larger, power hungry, noisier, louder, and heavier (all else equal).
(2) Aging refurbished units are paired with aging panels, i.e. older typically inferior screens.
(3) Aging refurbished units lack modern hardware optimizations for improved video and game rendering (even among CPUs of comparable CPUMarks to some modern processors).
(4) COVID-19 has bid up the price of aging refurbished units as many are working from home and need easy access to a PC with a webcam setup.

The OP laptop I've posted is 12 months from official release with a realistic life of a few months in a corporate deployment before being sent to recyclers for resale. This is a 2019 build, not a 2014/2015 classically refurbished unit. All told, we're talking about a relatively new machine.

Food for thought.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1331 posts
956 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I created the eBay Laptop Thread motivated by the view that aging refurbished laptops are a good value. I still believe that.

However, here are the caveats:
(1) Aging refurbished units are larger, power hungry, noisier, louder, and heavier (all else equal).
(2) Aging refurbished units are paired with aging panels, i.e. older typically inferior screens.
(3) Aging refurbished units lack modern hardware optimizations for improved video and game rendering (even among CPUs of comparable CPUMarks to some modern processors).
(4) COVID-19 has bid up the price of aging refurbished units as many are working from home and need easy access to a PC with a webcam setup.

The OP laptop I've posted is 12 months from official release with a realistic life of a few months in a corporate deployment before being sent to recyclers for resale. This is a 2019 build, not a 2014/2015 classically refurbished unit. All told, we're talking about a relatively new machine.

Food for thought.
Thank you for the well thought out response.
Jan 20, 2011
134 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: I'm honestly astonished they were able to fit Win 10 Pro on a 16GB device...

Assume there is zero extra space, and plan to install a proper SSD

Yeah, I do wonder about that. I wonder if it's actually Windows 10 Pro, or if it's Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3420 posts
4012 upvotes
Being Seller refurbished makes this a meh deal at most, but OP put a lot of good work into this thread and I think this deserves at least a "good effort" from us.

too bad the PARTY25 code doesn't work anymore, but when it worked, this was a much better deal.

ebay-canada-337-92-all-dell-ultrabook-d ... m-2401222/
Bitcoin will crash hard.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
TwistedKestrel wrote: Yeah, I do wonder about that. I wonder if it's actually Windows 10 Pro, or if it's Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
It's being sold through a third party, there's no mention of thin client functionality, they've clearly repurposed the units and installed Windows 10 Professional.

Computers and laptops are generally built on commodity components, so unless there's a hardware-based limitation, it's a Windows 10 laptop for all intents and purposes.

Where's that rascal, @death_hawk?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2554 posts
1308 upvotes
Winnipeg
repatch wrote: I'm honestly astonished they were able to fit Win 10 Pro on a 16GB device...
I too question this. I can only guess as soon as you boot it up it tells you that you're out of room. CPU/memory is fine for low end users but the 16GB storage makes this dead on arrival.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2334 posts
782 upvotes
Mississauga
redflagdealsguy wrote: The SSD is a no-brainer upgrade. With 128GB NVMe SSDs for as little as $25, it's an easy move.

FYI, don't make an SSD purchase decision until someone here cracks one open and confirms the form factor. I'm pretty sure it'll take standard sizing though.
Yes waiting for this confirmation to happen... I need one for my eight-year-old for online school. This would be perfect but I need to add at least 256ssd.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: Yes waiting for this confirmation to happen... I need one for my eight-year-old for online school. This would be perfect but I need to add at least 256ssd.
If you're not a tech-savvy person, I would pause on that thought. The implication of installing a new SSD is that you would also install Windows 10 Professional as a new installation. There's a hardware and software component to this maneuver.

If you're tech-savvy, that's easy, otherwise it can be a little challenging.

I might PM you an affordable alternative solution.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2334 posts
782 upvotes
Mississauga
redflagdealsguy wrote: If you're not a tech-savvy person, I would pause on that thought. The implication of installing a new SSD is that you would also install Windows 10 Professional as a new installation. There's a hardware and software component to this maneuver.

If you're tech-savvy, that's easy, otherwise it can be a little challenging.

I might PM you an affordable alternative solution.
I'm tech savvy. Comp eng by profession ...:) but want to be sure it can be done before ordering.... thx
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
repatch wrote: I think people have a completely unrealistic expectation of how much CPU power they actually need.
100%.
I don't know who shit on early celerons and atoms, but that reputation has stuck around for some reason.
Modern celerons/atoms perform quite well and even sometime surpass some great CPUs back in the day.
I think everyone has had a Q6600 at one point. That passmarks at 1700. This passmarks at 2400.
I'm pretty sure everyone used the hell out of that for everything back then.
Hell the computer I'm typing this post on is an E8400 which passmarks at 1200.
unodos wrote: Celeron N4100 ? ?
LOL..i will not take it ,even if it is for FREE !
If anyone is giving this away, I call dibs on this guys' unit.
repatch wrote:
?? As a buyer you have all the power and protection on eBay, I have zero issue buying on eBay, with the understanding that GSP can screw things up (damage in transit), and it takes a while.
I prefer ebay for this actually.
Plus I quite like GSP.
Kevin711 wrote: To give some context how how little processing power you need, I'm using a 8 year old i3-2375M running at 1.5 Ghz for some of my Zoom/MS Teams/RDP client/IntelliJ/STS/VSCode. I even use occasionally it to do slicing in Cura for my 3d printer, and at one point it was my main mobile machine where I wrote/compiled/tested code and did remote support on it, half the time running a ubuntu 14/16/18 VM inside Windows 8. Why Windows as the boot OS? Because other people at home use it that are non technical, and a few clients I dealt with require Windows to connect to their vpn.

The CPU mark on my i3 is in the 900s, this "shitty celeron" is in the 2400s.
Okay you win. While I have like 2 dozen MPC-HCs and a couple chrome tabs, this is impressive for a celeron.
redflagdealsguy wrote: However, here are the caveats:
I would add questionable batteries to that list too.
While not always true (ie maybe this if actually only is a year old) battery life is the one thing that's hit or miss with used units.
This can add significant cost to a refurb.
redflagdealsguy wrote: Where's that rascal, @death_hawk?
It was like that when I got here.

I don't know much about this unit unfortunately.
If they managed to shoehorn a working Windows 10 install on here I'd be impressed. I always thought that 32GB was the minimum and even that was painful.
I've shoehorned Windows 7 onto 16GB and it works, but even that was weird.

Linux would be just fine. I regularly set up 5GB VMs.
Windows 10 Pro would be seriously impressive.

If these were actually thin clients, it very well could be locked down.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
11956 posts
137558 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

The thing is, by the time you "upgrade" it, might as well buy a better laptop...

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: I'm tech savvy. Comp eng by profession ...:) but want to be sure it can be done before ordering.... thx
Someone grab a napkin, I've got a bit of egg to clean up.

Please monitor this thread, as things evolve. If I had a teardown, I could give you an answer sooner.

Alternatively, Amazon's 30 day Prime return is bullet proof, one could simply buy the laptop and try the SSD upgrade with the security of a guaranteed return option.

Now I have to respond to the essay written by DH above. Good to see his input here.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Sep 14th, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 13, 2013
463 posts
463 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
This is environmental waste, same as weak cheap Android tablet but in the Windows area.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
@death_hawk

It's quite possible that they installed Windows 10 Professional as they claim, but not without some work. More work than most recyclers would put in.

It's also possible they retained Windows 10 LTSB, which means that they're probably on a legacy version of Windows 10 with a reduced footprint.

Source: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ained.html

With a 16GB eMMC, upgrading the storage is a must on this platform.

The I/O on this device is superior to anything in this price range, and unofficially, this platform could support significantly more RAM and Storage than the variations provided on the Dell website.

HDMI 2.0a @ 4K/60
USB-C DP 1.2 @ 4K/30
Jan 20, 2011
134 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
I was a little bored so I just tried it out. Windows 10 Pro will indeed install on a 16GB drive, so I can believe that these actually comes with Windows 10 Pro
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
>> Dell Wyse 5470 Service Manual <<

Below on Page 20: (2x) SODIMM Slots Depicted

Below on Page 22: (1x) NVMe Slot Depicted (Apparently: Standard 2280)

P.S. @TLSRULZ, looks like this unit supports standard 2280 NVMe SSDs.
Example: Amazon Search for 2280 SSD
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Sep 14th, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2149 posts
1711 upvotes
GVRD
When I look at this "deal" my total cost is:

+10% penalty for buying off ebay (returning, shipping, warranty, etc., is more difficult)
+10% penalty for not being a premium ebay storefront
+10% penalty for not being in Canada, even though the import duty is factored in to the $300
+10% penalty for it being a must-upgrade system (16GB MMC is unrealistic, but I could survive with 64GB storage)
+10% penalty for my time required to now have to upgrade a system, have to travel to a store (or buy online), etc., void the warranty or make a mistake taking apart the system

So, I'd rather have a $250-300 Celeron on Black Friday (or other days) that's available from a reputable premium local store that wouldn't need upgrades. I've done it many times in the past for others. There's still a benefit to low-end Celerons if most everything is done online.
Last edited by RxMills on Sep 14th, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: @death_hawk

It's quite possible that they installed Windows 10 Professional as they claim, but not without some work. More work than most recyclers would put in.
Apparently @TwistedKestrel just installed Windows 10 on 16GB so it is doable.
I'd hate to see what happens with the first big update though.
Still, if the teardowns are right, it looks like NVMe.
With the price of large drives, assuming no hardware locks, it'd be cheap to replace anyways.
It's also possible they retained Windows 10 LTSB, which means that they're probably on a legacy version of Windows 10 with a reduced footprint.

Source: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ained.html
100% guaranteed not.
LTSC (renamed from LTSB) is basically impossible to get a license for.
Plus they're also quite a bit more expensive (worth more than this machine is) so that's going to be a no.

I wish it'd come with LTSC though. It's the only version of Windows that's actually tolerable.
TwistedKestrel wrote: I was a little bored so I just tried it out. Windows 10 Pro will indeed install on a 16GB drive, so I can believe that these actually comes with Windows 10 Pro
I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
RxMills wrote: When I look at this "deal" my total cost is:

+10% penalty for buying off ebay (returning, shipping, warranty, etc., is more difficult)
+10% penalty for not being a premium ebay storefront
+10% penalty for not being in Canada, even though the import duty is factored in to the $300
+10% penalty for it being a must-upgrade system (16GB MMC is unrealistic, but I could survive with 64GB storage)
+10% penalty for my time required to now have to upgrade a system, have to travel to a store (or buy online), etc., void the warranty or make a mistake taking apart the system

So, I'd rather have a $250-300 Celeron on Black Friday (or other days) that's available from a reputable premium local store that wouldn't need upgrades. There's still a benefit to low-end Celerons if most everything is done online.
+10% penalty for breaking a man's heart

I appreciate the balanced score card approach to this assessment, but I learned a long time ago that these exercises are a mix of utility / passion / community. I've been trying to 'crack the nut' of a workable affordable N-Series laptop, and I believe this platform provides a path to redemption for users.

The big gains for users are access to modern form factors, modern screens, modern wireless telephony, and modern hardware acceleration for video and basic rendering. These are often lacking on aging refurbished units of comparable synthetic performance.
death_hawk wrote: ...
100% guaranteed not.

I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
Glad to be wrong.