Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Dell Wyse 5470 - 14" FHD, N4100, 4GB / 16GB SSD - RAM/SSD Upgradeable - $262 (CAD, Duties, Shipping, All-in) [Lower $$]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:13 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6300 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Upvoted for detailed post however refurbished makes this warm at best.

Suggest wait for better local deals.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3420 posts
4012 upvotes
georvu wrote: Upvoted for detailed post however refurbished makes this warm at best.

Suggest wait for better local deals.
or just kijiji for something that costs roughly the same.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
RxMills wrote: +10% penalty for buying off ebay (returning, shipping, warranty, etc., is more difficult)
+10% penalty for not being a premium ebay storefront
What's wrong with eBay (as a buyer)?
Returns are fairly easy (albeit sometimes expensive, but Paypal sometimes covers this) especially since isn't from China.
Shipping is no different than any other marketplace.
Warranty is the same as any other used marketplace (ie none)

EDIT: Also WTF is a premium storefront and why do I care that it is one?
+10% penalty for not being in Canada, even though the import duty is factored in to the $300
Outside of an extended transit time (especially since it's GSP) why does this even matter?
Your landed cost doesn't change and there's no work to do in terms of paying for the taxes.
+10% penalty for it being a must-upgrade system (16GB MMC is unrealistic, but I could survive with 64GB storage)
I don't get this either. I for one PREFER a barebones system with crap solely because I can upgrade it.
If I wanted to be cheap, I could toss in a 128GB SSD and keep the RAM. If I wanted to be @redflagdealsguy I'd toss in a 2TB SSD and 128GB of RAM.
Because it has nothing, there's nothing of value that's "lost" when you upgrade.
If the system already came with a 512GB, I'd be mad because I paid for it and @redflagdealsguy would be mad because now they have a 512GB SSD that's useless.
+10% penalty for my time required to now have to upgrade a system,
It's 30 minutes tops, including cloning the OS.
have to travel to a store (or buy online), etc.,
Going to a store is on you, but Amazon ships to your door.
It's like a maximum of 50 keystrokes/mouse clicks for me to have an SSD to my door in 2 days.
Actually I was curious about this. I just opened a new window, typed amazon.ca, hit enter, clicked the search bar, typed in 256gb nvme, hit enter again, clicked one of the ssds, and could have clicked buy now.
I think there's one more confirmation, but I was at 27 "actions" (keystrokes/mouse clicks) and I could have an SSD to my door.
Considering there's like a few hundred actions just typing this, buying something online isn't exactly difficult.
void the warranty or make a mistake taking apart the system
What warranty?

And a RAM/NVMe upgrade isn't exactly rocket science. Typically it's a dozen screws, pry off a panel, replace a few things, and screw it back together.
Like I said above, 30 minutes tops which includes imaging time (assuming you have a USB stick with an imaging program, if not, add 15 minutes).
If you're 100% technologically illiterate? This may be a difficult task. But anyone even remotely familiar with a computer or willing to learn this is one of the easiest upgrades you can do.
Literally the hardest part is getting the panel off the clips.
So, I'd rather have a $250-300 Celeron on Black Friday (or other days) that's available from a reputable premium local store that wouldn't need upgrades. I've done it many times in the past for others. There's still a benefit to low-end Celerons if most everything is done online.
Without knowing the actual specs and price, it's hard to say.
From what @redflagdealsguy said, this is a more premium product. Your bargain basement celeron is probably going to be bargain basement to hit a new price point.
Someone else took the hit on depreciation already on this.

You do get the benefit of a full warranty, but it's probably 1 year so even that's moot.
Assuming you get a working unit (which can be rectified by the seller if it is DOA) you're probably gonna have a unit that's functional for more than a year.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1331 posts
956 upvotes
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

The thing is, by the time you "upgrade" it, might as well buy a better laptop...

Ju Leon...
Dear Ju Leon,

Could you please point me in the direction of a better laptop with the upgrades already included. That would save me time.

Sincerely,

DanP
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
DanP wrote: Dear Ju Leon,

Could you please point me in the direction of a better laptop with the upgrades already included. That would save me time.

Sincerely,

DanP
Exactly. Not only that, the exact upgrades that I want that are gonna be (probably similar actually) to the upgrades that @redflagdealsguy wants but is probably different than what @DanP wants.
Oh and no markups for whatever those upgrades are.
Jan 20, 2011
134 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
Actually, after disabling hibernation (powercfg /h off) and forcing CompactOS (compact /CompactOS:always) there's a whole 4.75GB left! And it installed on a machine with 3GB of RAM without complaining. It did technically complain about the partition being too small (it wanted a minimum of 16630MB, but I installed it in 16000MB), but I supposed Windows 10 Pro still viable for netbooks 2020 confirmed.
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Now I have to respond to the essay written by DH above. Good to see his input here.
Lol that was like the preamble to the 2 essays I wrote since then.
TwistedKestrel wrote: Actually, after disabling hibernation (powercfg /h off) and forcing CompactOS (compact /CompactOS:always) there's a whole 4.75GB left!
Not that I was mad before but now I'm somehow less mad. This is also more amazing.
To think that I provisioned 50GB for my last VM where I could have saved a bunch of space and provisioned 20GB and been easily fine.
And it installed on a machine with 3GB of RAM without complaining.
I've done 2GB myself.
It did technically complain about the partition being too small (it wanted a minimum of 16630MB, but I installed it in 16000MB), but I supposed Windows 10 Pro still viable for netbooks 2020 confirmed.
It didn't complain enough to stop you? I'm surprised!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6202 posts
5810 upvotes
orditeck wrote: This is environmental waste, same as weak cheap Android tablet but in the Windows area.
I guess that's your opinion. FWIW my N4000 laptop, nearly half the performance of this laptop, after nearly 2 years is still going strong.

Oh, and since this is a REFURB machine, you're actually HELPING the environment by keeping this one going.

Guess you missed that detail. Here's a tissue for the egg.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3420 posts
4012 upvotes
we are spending too much effort debating whether a meh deal is warmish-hot or warmish-cold. (the upvote tally, or net score, tells the perfect story here)

if you don't need a laptop right away or aren't handy, just don't buy this one and wait for a better deal or a better machine off, say, kijiji.

the target market for this laptop is like, really really niche:

1, has to be someone that is handy (can do hardware upgrade)

2, has to be someone that needs a machine this weak, urgently

so a likely scenario would be, 7-year old son needs a laptop for online learning, dad picks this one up and upgrades it for him.

dad gets some adrenaline rush / sense of accomplishment through the whole process while son gets a FHD machine for activities that require minimal computer power.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jan 13, 2013
468 posts
475 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
repatch wrote: I guess that's your opinion. FWIW my N4000 laptop, nearly half the performance of this laptop, after nearly 2 years is still going strong.

Oh, and since this is a REFURB machine, you're actually HELPING the environment by keeping this one going.

Guess you missed that detail. Here's a tissue for the egg.
I indeed missed the refurb part. Thanks for pointing that out!
It's even a worst deal but +1 for the environmental part I guess!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2163 posts
1718 upvotes
GVRD
redflagdealsguy wrote: +10% penalty for breaking a man's heart
I appreciate the balanced score card approach to this assessment, but I learned a long time ago that these exercises are a mix of utility / passion / community. I've been trying to 'crack the nut' of a workable affordable N-Series laptop, and I believe this platform provides a path to redemption for users.
Now I feel bad. On another day of the week, I would have ordered one just for the fun (or challenge) of it. I do really appreciate your post though. We need more people like you that have a passion for a tech deal - that take the time to post a detailed thread.

Thanks to you!
Deal-posters are the heroes of RFD.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17172 posts
19122 upvotes
RxMills wrote: Now I feel bad. On another day of the week, I would have ordered one just for the fun (or challenge) of it. I do really appreciate your post though. We need more people like you that have a passion for a tech deal - that take the time to post a detailed thread.

Thanks to you!
Deal-posters are the heroes of RFD.
It's lighthearted, no offense taken or intended.

Frankly, we're in need of a restock at home base, once we do a quick inventory I'll be ordering one or two units most likely.
Sep 19, 2009
274 posts
129 upvotes
This still looks mildly above warm at best, the tinkerer rig RFDguy posted is still 449 on Amazon and you really don't need to upgrade anything on it to get an excellent machine. If we factor in a required $25-30 NVMe 120gb upgrade, you're looking at $330ish. Might as well shell out an extra 100 to get a ryzen cpu with a preinstalled SSD?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17172 posts
19122 upvotes
Arkv wrote: This still looks mildly above warm at best, the tinkerer rig RFDguy posted is still 449 on Amazon and you really don't need to upgrade anything on it to get an excellent machine. If we factor in a required $25-30 NVMe 120gb upgrade, you're looking at $330ish. Might as well shell out an extra 100 to get a ryzen cpu with a preinstalled SSD?
Both devices have their market but the effective pre-tax price after upgrade is $315 + tax. At $449, the otherwise solid Ryzen machine is $135 + tax more.

For $315 + tax you get:
N4100 CPU
8GB DDR4
128GB SSD
14" FHD
USB-C DP 1.2 + PD
HDMI 2.0a

This thing apparently supports Dual 4K60 outputs. A mind blowing option at this price.

HDMI 2.0a = 4K60
USB-C DP 1.2 = 4K60

I'd want independent confirmation that the integrated hardware can run that, but the ports support it.

Take Note: Those buyers of the aforementioned Acer Ryzen laptop should sit pretty, as the Ryzen 3200U is a pitbull and a well earned upgrade for those punching up. Ultimately, it's a budget and use-case determination.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Sep 14th, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4833 posts
3072 upvotes
Burnaby
Glancealot wrote: we are spending too much effort debating whether a meh deal is warmish-hot or warmish-cold. (the upvote tally, or net score, tells the perfect story here)

if you don't need a laptop right away or aren't handy, just don't buy this one and wait for a better deal or a better machine off, say, kijiji.

the target market for this laptop is like, really really niche:

1, has to be someone that is handy (can do hardware upgrade)

2, has to be someone that needs a machine this weak, urgently

so a likely scenario would be, 7-year old son needs a laptop for online learning, dad picks this one up and upgrades it for him.

dad gets some adrenaline rush / sense of accomplishment through the whole process while son gets a FHD machine for activities that require minimal computer power.
Other than weakish CPU, small capacity EMMC and to a lesser degree TN screen, specs look OK [it has several business-like goodies]. Battery condition and warranty might be another two issues being it a refurbished product. Pretax/S&H: $236 laptop, ~$25 4GB RAM, ~$30+ 120/128GB SSD.

Specs slightly different model: https://www.cdw.com/product/dell-wyse-5 ... sd/5928686
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5212 posts
1964 upvotes
Shit deal.

300 for a refurb celeron... Great
Jun 22, 2009
920 posts
261 upvotes
Kitchener
What player for you use?

Thanks
repatch wrote: Curious, since I regularly play 1080p files on my N4000 machine without issue.

Perhaps you're using a crappy media player.
Слава Україні!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6202 posts
5810 upvotes
Zhopa wrote: What player for you use?

Thanks
VLC, the only player anyone should ever use IMHO.