Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Dell Wyse 5470 - 14" FHD, N4100, 4GB / 16GB SSD - RAM/SSD Upgradeable - $262 (CAD, Duties, Shipping, All-in) [Lower $$]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:13 pm
Sep 19, 2009
274 posts
129 upvotes
repatch wrote: Curious, since I regularly play 1080p files on my N4000 machine without issue.

Perhaps you're using a crappy media player.
Only exception I can think of is if the 1080p files in question are encoded in AV1, which is bit rough for low end cpus.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17049 posts
18969 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: I would think this is a much better option than OP, not that i think this all-metal chassis Acer is even a deal though:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=120846
Weaker CPU and GPU ironically, look up the Passmark, it's a 2016 generation CPU / GPU.

Passmark: 2133

Source: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=2886

No upgrade path for the RAM or Storage.

$330 all-in CAD is also more than $295 all-in.

Worse I/O.

It's also sold out.

... And other things I'm sure.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3420 posts
4012 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Weaker CPU and GPU ironically, look up the Passmark, it's a 2016 generation CPU / GPU.

Passmark: 2133

Source: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=2886

No upgrade path for the RAM or Storage.

$330 all-in CAD is also more than $295 all-in.

Worse I/O.

It's also sold out.

... And other things I'm sure.
CPU is immaterially weaker for the intended purposes, but GPU is actually quite a bit stronger, taking a 4200 over a 4100 any day of the week.

i know it's sold out, my point was the other one isn't even considered a deal in my book but is still better than the one you posted, thanks to its metal chassis.

no need to get defensive, from the get go i said "good effort".
Glancealot wrote: Being Seller refurbished makes this a meh deal at most, but OP put a lot of good work into this thread and I think this deserves at least a "good effort" from us.

too bad the PARTY25 code doesn't work anymore, but when it worked, this was a much better deal.

ebay-canada-337-92-all-dell-ultrabook-d ... m-2401222/
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6181 posts
5798 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: CPU is immaterially weaker for the intended purposes, but GPU is actually quite a bit stronger, taking a 4200 over a 4100 any day of the week.

i know it's sold out, my point was the other one isn't even considered a deal in my book but is still better than the one you posted, thanks to its metal chassis.
Unless you have a time machine that you'll allow us to borrow, your contribution is irrelevant. Go back in time and I'm sure you'll find SEVERAL 'better' deals, but if they aren't available today, they don't count, sorry.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3420 posts
4012 upvotes
repatch wrote: Unless you have a time machine that you'll allow us to borrow, your contribution is irrelevant. Go back in time and I'm sure you'll find SEVERAL 'better' deals, but if they aren't available today, they don't count, sorry.
my point was, even if it was available, i wouldn't even consider it a deal...did you miss that part?
Bitcoin will crash hard.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17049 posts
18969 upvotes
@repatch has covered my points while I was with an evening client. Thank you.

There are still 9 units in play, I have scads of 128GB NVMe drives and small capacity RAM modules.

Meanwhile, I don't think I've seen a device this cheap offer 4K60 and possibly Dual 4K60.

The business argument is now:
- Significant cost savings
- Low power business laptops representing minimal loss risk upon theft or misplacing
- Presentation laptops representing a platform for meeting rooms and seminars
- Modern I/O, interoperability, and design, contributing to a modern office aesthetic
- Silent In-Office Operation

The only reason I'm not buying more than one or two is Corona-related hedging of business risk and conservation of cash.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4400 posts
2061 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: The only reason I'm not buying more than one or two is Corona-related hedging of business risk and conservation of cash.
Upvoted for tempting me.
C19 #'s are up and mention of the potential for regional rollbacks has me concerned.
Top that off with 2 out of 3 clients scheduled for today didn't show, I too must conserve cash.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6181 posts
5798 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: my point was, even if it was available, i wouldn't even consider it a deal...did you miss that part?
Nope, just pointing out that 'that part' is first off your opinion, and second not very useful to someone wanting a machine TODAY.

COVID19 has changed the world in MANY ways, availability of laptops is just another area affected.

For what's available TODAY? It's a good deal IMHO.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1132 posts
693 upvotes
Montreal
Crazy how everyone is complaining about the 16gb HD. It should be an absolute no brainer once you read the thread title that you're going to replace the hard drive and you just add at least $50 to the price.

I have an Acer switch 3 bought last year with an n4100 and it's horribly slow and this is compared to a 3rd gen i5 and 6 year old Acer desktop with an AMD processor bought for $400 brand new.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17049 posts
18969 upvotes
molybdenum wrote: Crazy how everyone is complaining about the 16gb HD. It should be an absolute no brainer once you read the thread title that you're going to replace the hard drive and you just add at least $50 to the price.

I have an Acer switch 3 bought last year with an n4100 and it's horribly slow and this is compared to a 3rd gen i5 and 6 year old Acer desktop with an AMD processor bought for $400 brand new.
If you kept the eMMC, guaranteed that would've been a major contributor to the slowness. There's a strategic hobbling of these machines so they don't compete with higher tier laptops. Even a 2016-Era N-Series with a proper SSD can handle basic computing reasonably quickly.

Going from 4GB / 16GB to 8GB / 128GB for RAM / Storage is night and day, especially when eMMC is replaced by SSD. For administrative work, office productivity, and presentations, it's more than powerful enough. All reasonable video playback using modern codecs also run smoothly at 1080p/1440p.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2743 posts
753 upvotes
Scarborough
molybdenum wrote: Crazy how everyone is complaining about the 16gb HD. It should be an absolute no brainer once you read the thread title that you're going to replace the hard drive and you just add at least $50 to the price....
In addendum: clone to new ssd and completely bypassing emmc in boot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6181 posts
5798 upvotes
molybdenum wrote: Crazy how everyone is complaining about the 16gb HD. It should be an absolute no brainer once you read the thread title that you're going to replace the hard drive and you just add at least $50 to the price.

That's most likely because the storage is eMMC.

eMMC is basically spinning disks of rust level of performance. Take the latest processor, pair it with an eMMC drive and you'll start puking.

Switching to a proper SSD (if possible) will turn the performance of a machine from night to day.

Which is why this machine has potential.
Nov 4, 2012
621 posts
174 upvotes
The computer is good for someone who does light multitasking.

I'm a heavy multitasking person (50+ chrome tabs opened, outlook, whatsapp, TWS, Google sheets, doc)
Nov 6, 2007
313 posts
121 upvotes
London
I was going to place an order, but went a different direction since this won't be available to ship until Oct 22. If anyone wants my 10% off code, here it is: 7BFT0FN44H0SKC
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17049 posts
18969 upvotes
junkyjunky wrote: I was going to place an order, but went a different direction since this won't be available to ship until Oct 22. If anyone wants my 10% off code, here it is: 7BFT0FN44H0SKC
Someone grabbed that too quickly. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1331 posts
956 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Someone grabbed that too quickly. Oh well.
I think with most ebay discounts like that one, they are account specific. You can't share them. I don't feel 100% positive about that though so i could be wrong.

I'm trying to find something comparable to this unit that isn't on ebay and shipped from the US, but deals are pretty sparse for these sorts of low end machines. I've never opened up a laptop but I think I could figure out the upgrades.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1113 posts
386 upvotes
Markham
Bit of noob when it comes to M.2 NVME drives. What does this laptop take? B, M or B+M?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: There's a strategic hobbling of these machines so they don't compete with higher tier laptops.
Assuming this is actually a thin client, eMMC doesn't matter. All the work is being done by a thick server, so the only slowness you'd ever experience is the connection process to the server.

This is why that 1080p $170 Lenovo notebook was a smoking deal for me.
I'm doing no heavy lifting on that machine. It's simply a conduit to a better machine.