Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Dell Wyse 5470 - 14" FHD, N4100, 4GB / 16GB SSD - RAM/SSD Upgradeable - $262 (CAD, Duties, Shipping, All-in) [Lower $$]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:13 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1333 posts
968 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: If true, that's the true differentiator. Thank you.

Everything else is identical, but the price delta would be the FHD screen. Dell's website also confirms it sells the two variants of screens under this model.
Yeah I was half way to ordering it but turned back on the resolution. Not a deal breaker by any means, but I think it's worth the money to upgrade.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17289 posts
19260 upvotes
DanP wrote: Yeah I was half way to ordering it but turned back on the resolution. Not a deal breaker by any means, but I think it's worth the money to upgrade.
Good on you for noticing.

For my workplace, I'd buy the 768p and not even blink. If it weren't Corona season, I would buy 3 to 6 units at this price for the business.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1113 posts
386 upvotes
Markham
Just an update, got my unit yesterday, and the hardest thing about upgrading was getting the cover off. No joke, a couple screws didn't want to come out, took a little bit of finesse to get the cover off. Everything else was pretty easy.

For those who aren't tech-savvy, the details in the next steps might not be something that you've done, but the steps are broken down in a way that you can easily look up how to do each one.
Updated Windows 10 Pro first
Opened up the case: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/wyse-54 ... _en-us.pdf
Added this NVME: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07ZGK ... UTF8&psc=1
(This would be the time to put in your RAM upgrade, but I only placed an order for DDR4 yesterday after realizing all my spare sticks of SODIMM RAM are DDR3)
Installed Macrium Reflect free, cloned all the partitioned drives from the 16 GB drive to my new SSD.
Used Disk Management to extend the non-OS partition to the rest of the new drive.
Rebooted in BIOS and changed the boot priority to go to the new drive first.
Voila.

Tested the batter, and its capacity is 95% of the original max, so overall pretty happy with this computer at this price. Thanks OP
Sep 7, 2012
26 posts
39 upvotes
KANATA
If anyone is looking for a matching 4gb SODIMM in Ottawa (Kanata) will sell mine for $20 once the machine arrives.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17289 posts
19260 upvotes
bdckr wrote: Just an update, got my unit yesterday, and the hardest thing about upgrading was getting the cover off. No joke, a couple screws didn't want to come out, took a little bit of finesse to get the cover off. Everything else was pretty easy.

For those who aren't tech-savvy, the details in the next steps might not be something that you've done, but the steps are broken down in a way that you can easily look up how to do each one.
Updated Windows 10 Pro first
Opened up the case: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/wyse-54 ... _en-us.pdf
Added this NVME: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07ZGK ... UTF8&psc=1
(This would be the time to put in your RAM upgrade, but I only placed an order for DDR4 yesterday after realizing all my spare sticks of SODIMM RAM are DDR3)
Installed Macrium Reflect free, cloned all the partitioned drives from the 16 GB drive to my new SSD.
Used Disk Management to extend the non-OS partition to the rest of the new drive.
Rebooted in BIOS and changed the boot priority to go to the new drive first.
Voila.

Tested the batter, and its capacity is 95% of the original max, so overall pretty happy with this computer at this price. Thanks OP
To the folks wondering, this gentleman did pretty much everything himself. I think we had maybe one brief communication.

Good on you, @bdckr. At the end of the day, this is a standard laptop build, that normally comes installed with thin client software. The latter is a formality as you've just proven.

I'm glad this thread served it's purpose.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1113 posts
386 upvotes
Markham
redflagdealsguy wrote: To the folks wondering, this gentleman did pretty much everything himself. I think we had maybe one brief communication.

Good on you, @bdckr. At the end of the day, this is a standard laptop build, that normally comes installed with thin client software. The latter is a formality as you've just proven.

I'm glad this thread served it's purpose.
Cheers, thanks for the good deal.

My initial reluctance was never having used m.2 SSDs before. I know that there are different notches that limit what drives with the m.2 form factor will fit. I didn't want to waste money on the wrong SSD.

I bought a 256 GB m.2 NVME lower tier brand instead of saving $15 on 128 GB not for the space, but to increase the life of the SSD. Lower tier instead of brand name because $$, and it still has the original MMC 16 GB drive still in it to repeat this process if the stick ever fails.

The 8 GB RAM stick arrived today and is already installed. 8 GB instead of just 4 GB to decrease the chance that a lack of RAM would ever compromise the life of the SSD, and when looking at no-name brand RAM, there wasn't enough separation in price between 4 GB and 8 GB.

So for the equivalent of $355 before tax, I've got a used computer that has 95% of it's original battery capacity, 12 GB of RAM, a 256 GB m.2 NVME drive, a (probably) legit version of Windows 10 Pro in a reasonably small package with a decent screen, I can't complain. Of course, the CPU still performs way worse than my i7-930 computer that's 11 years old, but ... it was $355. Perfect for carrying around with me for light use.

The hardest part was getting over the idea of that a big chunk of the money was for shipping. But where else could I get something like this at this price even without paying for shipping?

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1333 posts
968 upvotes
All sold our now it seems. With those upgrades and that battery life, crazy good deal. Wish I had done it.