Expired Hot Deals

eBay.ca

[eBay NewEgg] Seasonic FOCUS GX-650 650W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular PSU - $116.99 + FS

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 10:04 am
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 23, 2011
41 posts
140 upvotes
CALGARY

[eBay.ca] [eBay NewEgg] Seasonic FOCUS GX-650 650W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular PSU - $116.99 + FS

NewEgg eBay store - Seasonic FOCUS GX-650, 650W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular power supply unit - $116.99 + tax + free ship. Combine with airmilesshops.ca site-wide 10x miles for around 50 miles back (~$5 worth).
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7162 posts
7818 upvotes
Toronto
PalletTown wrote: NewEgg eBay store - Seasonic FOCUS GX-650, 650W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular power supply unit - $116.99 + tax + free ship. Combine with airmilesshops.ca site-wide 10x miles for around 50 miles back (~$5 worth).
This is a good price. I was tracking this on Amazon but got the XPG Core Reactor 750W for $139.99 on Amazon couple weeks ago. It is still in the box.
ballabones wrote: Similar deal I got this from CC https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=183349
A teir on ltt
I got the 750W from Amazon, now CC has it $5 lower Confused Face
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=183350

I thought of getting the 650W from Amazon ($119.99) but the reviews for the 750W seem better.

I was also looking at the Corsair RMX series, but they are bigger and more expensive.
Wanted to get a PSU that does not have the fan spinning at low load, XPG Core Reactor has fan that always spins.


[Amazon.ca] XPG Core Reactor 750w fully modular power supply 139.99
Newbie
Oct 9, 2020
19 posts
49 upvotes
You can combine this with moola's $100+$15 Gift Card Deal.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29717 posts
10431 upvotes
The Fractal Ion+ at CC looked like a more interesting deal to me. However personally I don't need any more PSUs (got too many!)...
560W at $110, the 660W is $125. Platinum rating looks attractive but then...

Oddly the TH reviews of both of these show them falling flat on their faces with low-load efficiency. Not sure what the heck happened there but I guess since 80 Platinum only goes down to 20%, High Power got away with this lol. The CWT-made Adata is "only" Gold rated but manages 73% efficiency in the 2% and 78% in the 20W test, whereas the Fractals are getting like 50% (!) and 60% in these tests. That's is something terrible right there lol. My eVGA G3s (SuperFlower) are in the high 70s at 20W too (though not tested as low as 2%) so this is a bit of a fail for High Power in this day and age.

Even the Cybenetics ratings don't tell this story as they're all getting the same A rating. Looking at the Seasonic GX platform it didn't do too well in the low-load tests either TBH, though it's not quite as atrocious as the High Power. The 2% test looks quite difficult for a lot of supplies, even ones that are otherwise highly efficient by the time 10% comes around. I wonder how many can pass the latest ATX spec for low-load efficiency? Or how many will fail rather, lol. :eek:

Apart form that these are all good supplies though. The Seasonic is, well, Seasonic; the Adata is CWT; the Fractal is HighPower. All seem to be very well made. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them except if you're looking for that low-load efficiency lol.
Newbie
Nov 22, 2020
50 posts
62 upvotes
For the next gen platform, it's better to buy something above 750W or even 850W. This is a great PSU tho, I'm using it with my 3800X and 5700xt bulid, only problem is the wires are too hard and need some effort to cable manage.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7162 posts
7818 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Apart form that these are all good supplies though. The Seasonic is, well, Seasonic; the Adata is CWT; the Fractal is HighPower. All seem to be very well made. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them except if you're looking for that low-load efficiency lol.
I got the Adata XPG Core Reactor 750W and thinking of exchanging it for the Corsair RMX 550W. I knew 750W was overkill since I am not putting a power hungry graphics card in my system. Got the XPG because of price and good reviews.

Going it to use in my Ryzen 3600 X570 system that I may upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 in the future. Current PSU is old and only 520W and fan is not quiet.

Do you recommend I exchange the XPG for the Corsair?

I know both are made by CWT and RM550x will be $25 less.

I want a quiet PSU, and the Corsair can be virtually silent operation since it has Zero RPM mode.

Already have a Noctua DH-15 to lower the noise in my system.

Was looking at the a fanless Seasonic, but they are expensive.

Tia
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 23, 2005
1647 posts
929 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: I got the Adata XPG Core Reactor 750W and thinking of exchanging it for the Corsair RMX 550W. I knew 750W was overkill since I am not putting a power hungry graphics card in my system. Got the XPG because of price and good reviews.

Going it to use in my Ryzen 3600 X570 system that I may upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 in the future. Current PSU is old and only 520W and fan is not quiet.

Do you recommend I exchange the XPG for the Corsair?

I know both are made by CWT and RM550x will be $25 less.

I want a quiet PSU, and the Corsair can be virtually silent operation since it has Zero RPM mode.

Already have a Noctua DH-15 to lower the noise in my system.

Was looking at the a fanless Seasonic, but they are expensive.

Tia
If you're not running a gaming GPU, the 550w will be adequate.

Most modern PSUs are pretty quiet, especially next to all the other fans that the typical system has running. Your current one might be loud because the fan is getting worn (and should be replaced ASAP if that's the case).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29717 posts
10431 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: I got the Adata XPG Core Reactor 750W and thinking of exchanging it for the Corsair RMX 550W. I knew 750W was overkill since I am not putting a power hungry graphics card in my system. Got the XPG because of price and good reviews.

Going it to use in my Ryzen 3600 X570 system that I may upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 in the future. Current PSU is old and only 520W and fan is not quiet.

Do you recommend I exchange the XPG for the Corsair?

I know both are made by CWT and RM550x will be $25 less.

I want a quiet PSU, and the Corsair can be virtually silent operation since it has Zero RPM mode.

Already have a Noctua DH-15 to lower the noise in my system.

Was looking at the a fanless Seasonic, but they are expensive.

Tia
They are both great supplies but the Adata is a little newer design and therefore actually has better low-load efficiency despite being a 750W supply. However the one thing missing is the semi-fanless operation as you mention--it has a min RPM of about 600RPM. That's a bit odd TBH, surprising it doesn't have that when most competitors do these days. Also I think the fan is smaller--120mm v. 135mm in the Corsair--because the dimensions are a little smaller. Indeed the Corsair will beat it for noise levels for these reasons.

They're both great PSUs though. I'd say if you started using the Adata already might as well stick with it unless you actually find it noisy in your case and environment. It really does suck when you put together something quiet and there's that one thing you can't quiet (the PSU fan) that spoils your quietness lol.

But it may not be that loud even w/o fan stop mode, and if you installed and everything it's gonna be a pain to remove pack up, return and then buy the next one and install that one--all the cable routing/cable management, etc. gets tedious these days IMO. OTOH if it's still in the box unused you could return it for the Corsair, save yourself some $$ and get a more quiet PSU.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7162 posts
7818 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks @zero64 and @ES_Revenge

I don't think they would be a big difference in low-load efficiency?

I would be putting more load (%) due to the Corsair being 200 watts less.

Yes, it is still in the box. I was going to unpack and install this weekend along with the Noctua DH-15.

I will order the Corsair RM550x. Just concerned of the extra length compared to the XPG Core Rector. Need to recheck the space inside the case.

May not even need to return the XPG since I know a couple of people looking for a PSU with this watts rating.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29717 posts
10431 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Thanks @zero64 and @ES_Revenge

I don't think they would be a big difference in low-load efficiency?

I would be putting more load (%) due to the Corsair being 200 watts less.
That's right and you would expect the low-load efficiency (let's call it LLE) to be better in that case; however at 20W and 10W loads (or the 10% and 2% tests) the newer Adata actually comes out on top. I mean it's not much and since we're only talking a few watts in absolute terms I don't think this is important unless this is a 24-7/365 server or NAS you have it in or something. Of note this is because Intel updated the ATX spec. not too long ago so that to pass you have to have 70% efficiency at either 10W or 2% (the 2% is once the PSU gets over 500W I believe). Most PSUs even Gold and Platinum ones of the past, can't meet this spec. This is why I had the line, above:
ES_Revenge wrote: The 2% test looks quite difficult for a lot of supplies, even ones that are otherwise highly efficient by the time 10% comes around. I wonder how many can pass the latest ATX spec for low-load efficiency? Or how many will fail rather, lol. :eek:
Dhanushan wrote: Yes, it is still in the box. I was going to unpack and install this weekend along with the Noctua DH-15.

I will order the Corsair RM550x. Just concerned of the extra length compared to the XPG Core Rector. Need to recheck the space inside the case.

May not even need to return the XPG since I know a couple of people looking for a PSU with this watts rating.
Oh yeah so you can either sell to someone else or keep for a spare or other machine or something. Personally I hate wiring/re-wiring PSUs these days. Back in the day you didn't have all this fancy cable management going on, lol. You just jammed things in there, there was no modular this or that and closed up the case haha. Now you have to make everything all nice and neat, cable ties, cosmetics are big deal with windows, etc. Granted it's much better for airflow anyway. But I think I have two brand new PSUs in the box I bought like a year ago with the intention of putting into machines with older PSUs but I've been too lazy to swap them out--so much work! :lol:

Top