Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Essential Phone PH-1 128GB ($264.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 8:02 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2016
78 posts
47 upvotes

[eBay.ca] Essential Phone PH-1 128GB ($264.99)

I haven't seen this phone on the forums in a while. Considering the phone is almost 2 years old cant say if the price is good or not. Just be warned it is marked as open box.
93 replies
Apr 18, 2017
226 posts
370 upvotes
Still a great phone, but this deal isn't really great. Def not hot.
Nov 20, 2017
86 posts
60 upvotes
Been a great phone. No issues with mine in over a year since I bought it

A lot faster than my G4. Camera software is not great which is my only complaint
Dec 17, 2018
10 posts
65 upvotes
If your looking for stock Android experience and do no care about photo / camera quality this is a great phone. As the above commentor mentioned the camera isn't the best, but it has improved with software update from the original launch. This phone runs Snapdragon 835 which is also found on the Galaxy 8. Keep in mind that it is a "notch" display but truly an impressive phone comparing to a flagship.
Nov 3, 2018
79 posts
151 upvotes
camera quality is absolute garbage.

don't waste your money.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3196 posts
1256 upvotes
Toronto
Jordanferras wrote:
May 26th, 2019 9:29 pm
Been a great phone. No issues with mine in over a year since I bought it

A lot faster than my G4. Camera software is not great which is my only complaint
GCam works great in low light.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Apr 2, 2015
210 posts
191 upvotes
Siberia
Had this phone for a year now and as others have said camera isn't up to Samsung etc standards but the phone is quick and battery is holding up really well.

One thing I'm impressed with though is how fast the monthly updates come in, pretty much same day as the Google pixles. The phone has gone from 7 to 8 to P and will apparently get Q too.
Aug 23, 2016
79 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver
I highly recommend installing GCam if you have this phone, it's noticeably better than the default camera app.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8292 posts
2066 upvotes
supremePug wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:04 pm
camera quality is absolute garbage.

don't waste your money.
As the title says "Essential Phone" not "Essential Camera". Had mine for a about a year, best phone I have had.
Ask me about the AMEX Air Miles Reserve Credit Card. A much better way to redeem your Dream Air Miles.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9968 posts
1507 upvotes
Best phone I have had for $260.

BTW, is there a gesture or setting to force apps to use full screen without navigation bar?
bobcat99 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:50 pm
As the title says "Essential Phone" not "Essential Camera". Had mine for a about a year, best phone I have had.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
1921 posts
259 upvotes
take your $264.99 and buy ANY used pixel from kijiji
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6517 posts
2368 upvotes
Toronto
I had one, great build and least obtrusive notch, but poor camera and battery life held it back. I say $200 and it's a deal, wouldn't pay more now though.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
1586 posts
1406 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
so this is essentially a used phone, since it has signs of wear and is missing every accessory (they give you a 3rd part charger but other stuff is missing like the headphone adapter) Also warranty is 60 days through them only. They also charge tax. It might still be a good deal though. I would rather get the original stuff with the phone, and possibly the original box, so going the kijiji route might be best. Saw a few of them between $200 to $300 and they come with original stuff
Jun 24, 2009
92 posts
112 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've had this phone since near the start. Paided $280 on a Koodo Tab for it after credits. Some comments:
  • Camrea is NOT garbage. Updates to it since launch have made it great. It takes compareable pictures in normal light situations to any other high end phone (pixel 2 / iPhone X), as you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hi0zn6SlJs . It's only in low light that it suffers slightly. But even then, GCam mode works on it fully and works fine with NightSight and everything else. Camera wise its not the "best" but still excellent comparing to this price point.
  • Reception wise, people complain reception is poorer. But this is actually a placebo. The reception bar does fluctuate, but I have never been cut or anything, or never get "no reception" in an area where my other phone does. The fluctuating is just visual, and people have measured the reception strength and it's as strong on the PH-1 as other phones in the same location. The bar just shows lower bars at times but reception is around the same.
  • It has a fully working Android Pie, and is one of the few in the Android Q Beta. So it'll still have updates for quiet a while. It has almost all the latest goodies on it, minus ARCore (which has been waiting Google approval for like a year now). And Google Daydream (which needs an OLED display). But it has all the other latest and greatest stuff.
  • Super fast updates. Comes out the same day as all the Google Phones. Most of the time hours after them.
  • Great XDA Support, has several Custom Roms available for those who want Custom ROMS (dont see why you would, since we have latest Android right now).
  • Quality wise, the phone feels lovely and preimum. Glass, Ceramic, and Titanium. However need a case, since the sides tend to scratch easily. And even small drops can be fatal.
I honestly can't really think of anything that people can compalin about this phone (except for what is mentioned above). Quality wise, the phone is lovely. Almost everything people compalined about (like low volume not low enough, etc) have all been fixed in updates. Reception has been improved all they can, and people complain about "Screen Scrolling Stutter" which I'v never seen, but people say its a hardware thing, and Essential team did all they could on it.

Overall, is $260 a good deal? No. I feel like you should be able to find this phone for $160CAD used someplaced. But is it a great phone? Yes, I'd say so, and whoever buys it probably be happy with it.
Mobile: [Koodo $42 (6GB,UnlCanCall,UnlIntText,VVM)], [Fido+Fongo ($15)$0+$1.66 ((3GB)UnlData,UnlCanCall,UnlCanText,VVM)], [Freedom $15 (Home 250-250MB,100min-UnlIncoming,UnlCanUSText)]
Internet: [Telus $80 (75/30-UnlData)]