Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eBay.ca

Essential Phone PH-1 128GB ($264.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 8:02 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1046 posts
1308 upvotes
Ontario
StatsGuy wrote: Probably because you have nothing to compare it to
It's noticable to me as I also have a other phones like an old 6p and a pixel 2 xl as well often side by side and the terrible reception especially wifi is noticable and jittery scrolling is well documented that can be alievated a bit via developer options but still not smooth as it's a hardware issue
I often have no/poor service when I try to use it but when I whip out the other phones on same network I get service. The WiFi is absolutely terrible on essential especially 5ghz
The daily reboots required because of the memory bug around since pie is also annoying
Don't need another phone to see that my reception is good. Scrolling is the same when I compared it to my friend's iPhone 8 or Samsung Galaxy S8 at least.
Wi-fi is always good for me and I never have a "no signal" state.
Daily reboots due to memory bug??? The only time I need to reboot is when I do the system updates.
Maybe some people including you have defective Essential PH-1s.
That's the one that I did. $360 after discounts/activation credits. When did Koodo have it for $280?
TestAcc wrote: I've had this phone since near the start. Paided $280 on a Koodo Tab for it after credits.
When did Koodo have it for $280? Is there a thread for that, @TestAcc?
EDIT: Perhaps it was just the "additional credit" for existing customers?

About this deal though, no way I would buy open box at that price considering issues? that people are still having (maybe I was lucky with mine). Knock off another $100 and then it's hot.
And they are all probably missing their speaker grill mesh lol
Sep 4, 2008
381 posts
273 upvotes
I received mine last July on the amazon deal of $325 + tax, and this deal included the Essential earphones listed at around $90. The phone has been above satisfactory for my use. Yes, as perpetually commented, the camera is not the best but G-Cam really helps. The phone is high quality and suits my needs. All brand new.

So, without a time machine to get back to the above deal I would say at $265 for open box is not that great IMHO.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1552 posts
2620 upvotes
My Essential phone bootlooped when it was brought back to SouthEast Asia. Probably because of the heat (35-40C climate) and ceramic is a poor heat conductor. Once back in Canada it's been working fine.

Despite the flaws, I could say it's my favourite smartphone so far. The design is simple yet beautiful, and it's refreshing in the Android sea. The stock android speed is amazing. I have used an S8 and P20 Pro since but neither comes close to Essential's snappiness. Stock Android is so clean compared to the bloated S8 and P20 Pro. Battery life is great too and I rarely had reception problems out of the norm. The camera is good enough for me as I seldom use it.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the LCD screen. The only smartphone I had before Essential was Note 3. I think my eyes are used to OLED because I usually have eyestrain and headaches when using Essential. When I switch to other OLED phones like S8 and P20 Pro the problem went away.

That said, don't buy the phone used at this price. You can find better deals. Still an excellent phone though and for less than $200, I'm very happy with it.
Apr 24, 2012
103 posts
54 upvotes
CALGARY
That video is from 2017, there was a software patch that helped that issue. It still has a small amount from time to time, but barley noticeable

cockmeister wrote: It is not possible for you to not have the jitter scrolling issue as it is a flaw with the digitizer. You are simply not noticing it. Anybody that is used to 120/144hz displays can easily detect it. They have not changed this component and they are simply selling off remaining stock. I have seen this defect on all 5 devices that I have tested, two of which were my own, one that a friend owns, and two that were store displays.

For anyone interested, here is a video that I found showing the jitter scrollling issue, which affects all devices and is noticeable in any application or Android menu:

If you have an old phone, put them side by side and compare. If you still can't tell a difference, you are simply not picky and it does not bother you, in which case this might not be an issue for you. It's a deal breaker for me.
May 20, 2019
22 posts
25 upvotes
Seifer129 wrote: That video is from 2017, there was a software patch that helped that issue. It still has a small amount from time to time, but barley noticeable
Sorry, but you're wrong. It didn't fix the issue. I did a lot of testing before and after the Oreo update. I was also able to bring my updated phone and compare it with a store model that didn't have the update.
Oct 22, 2013
437 posts
289 upvotes
NORTH YORK
cockmeister wrote: Sorry, but you're wrong. It didn't fix the issue. I did a lot of testing before and after the Oreo update. I was also able to bring my updated phone and compare it with a store model that didn't have the update.
how was ur moto g5?
Jun 24, 2009
170 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RoseTech wrote: That's the one that I did. $360 after discounts/activation credits. When did Koodo have it for $280?

When did Koodo have it for $280? Is there a thread for that, @TestAcc?
EDIT: Perhaps it was just the "additional credit" for existing customers?
Yea it was $360, plus all the credits Koodo gave for Public mobile people switching to Koodo. Namely the $100 device Credit and activation credits, but there was a ton of credits. I did make a post on it 2 years back.
EDIT: But Koodo did have it around $285 a couple of times new (targeted promotions to certain people): https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-e ... m-2171299/
Mobile: [Telus EPP $50 (20GB,UnlCanCall,UnlCanText)], [Rogers Corp+VoIP.ms $0+$0.85 (8GB,USRoam,PPUCanCall,PPUCanText)], [Freedom $16.17 (12Month 5GB HOME-416MB,UnlCanCall,UnlIntText)]
Internet: [Can-Com $85 (750/100-UnlData)]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1046 posts
1308 upvotes
Ontario
aintic wrote: My Essential phone bootlooped when it was brought back to SouthEast Asia. Probably because of the heat (35-40C climate) and ceramic is a poor heat conductor. Once back in Canada it's been working fine.

Despite the flaws, I could say it's my favourite smartphone so far. The design is simple yet beautiful, and it's refreshing in the Android sea. The stock android speed is amazing. I have used an S8 and P20 Pro since but neither comes close to Essential's snappiness. Stock Android is so clean compared to the bloated S8 and P20 Pro. Battery life is great too and I rarely had reception problems out of the norm. The camera is good enough for me as I seldom use it.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the LCD screen. The only smartphone I had before Essential was Note 3. I think my eyes are used to OLED because I usually have eyestrain and headaches when using Essential. When I switch to other OLED phones like S8 and P20 Pro the problem went away.

That said, don't buy the phone used at this price. You can find better deals. Still an excellent phone though and for less than $200, I'm very happy with it.
*insulator.

I also have that problem, except when I take it out in the cold. The cold gets to it really quickly and can't use it after just a couple hours in my pocket while skiing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
cockmeister wrote: Sorry, but you're wrong. It didn't fix the issue. I did a lot of testing before and after the Oreo update. I was also able to bring my updated phone and compare it with a store model that didn't have the update.
Somebody needs to wake up .... you should have replace yours, as you see, many others don't have this problem.
Bashing it over and over will not change the facts.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
cockmeister wrote: It is not possible for you to not have the jitter scrolling issue as it is a flaw with the digitizer. You are simply not noticing it. Anybody that is used to 120/144hz displays can easily detect it. They have not changed this component and they are simply selling off remaining stock. I have seen this defect on all 5 devices that I have tested, two of which were my own, one that a friend owns, and two that were store displays.

For anyone interested, here is a video that I found showing the jitter scrollling issue, which affects all devices and is noticeable in any application or Android menu:

If you have an old phone, put them side by side and compare. If you still can't tell a difference, you are simply not picky and it does not bother you, in which case this might not be an issue for you. It's a deal breaker for me.
tbh i really couldnt tell what the issue is @@
Apr 20, 2005
493 posts
230 upvotes
The screen definitely has some jittering, especially when you scroll slowly with your finger making contact with the screen the entire time. Nearly unnoticeable if you flick and let it scroll.

Personally I use a 165Hz monitor at the desk and this issue with the PH-1 never bothered me. Might affect playing games maybe, but I don't game on phones so can't say.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: I think people with issues were with Rogers. Bell & Telus have a much better network.
The reception issues were well known and due to band coverage on the PH-1. They affected everyone in Canada. I had this phone, on Bell, for about a year. Switching nothing but phones my bars went from 2 to 4 in the same physical location.

This phone had the mild jitter issues and reception issues - and it lacked a headphone jack which I found a continual PITA - but my god was it a beautiful phone, and fast as lightning, and constant updates. I still somewhat miss it as you can tell :)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
brunes wrote: The reception issues were well known and due to band coverage on the PH-1. They affected everyone in Canada. I had this phone, on Bell, for about a year. Switching nothing but phones my bars went from 2 to 4 in the same physical location.

This phone had the mild jitter issues and reception issues - and it lacked a headphone jack which I found a continual PITA - but my god was it a beautiful phone, and fast as lightning, and constant updates. I still somewhat miss it as you can tell :)
It was (and is) a beautiful phone. Almost perfect, in fact. Poor buggy software, and a lack lustre camera (mostly software related, but hardware too) did them in. I still have mine as a back-up and look at it, and go, "wow, this phone is a beauty!".
Why can't we all just get along?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)