Expired Hot Deals

eBay.ca

Lenovo Chromebook Duet, 10.1" FHD Touch 400 nits, 4GB, 128GB, USI pen included, $305

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1681 posts
10360 upvotes

[eBay.ca] Lenovo Chromebook Duet, 10.1" FHD Touch 400 nits, 4GB, 128GB, USI pen included, $305

Lenovo Chromebook Duet, 10.1" FHD Touch 400 nits, 4GB, 128GB, USI pen included, $305

www.ebay.ca/itm/334075910988

Seller is Lenovo official eBay store.

Model# of this one is ZA6F0075US. USI pen is included. Keyboard is US - English.
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/le ... ZA6F0075US
Thread Summary
Shopping for a budget computer? Take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best laptops under $500!
19 replies
Jun 6, 2021
8 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
I got one of these during the last deal and it was a dud. (Wouldn't wake up after going to sleep and would randomly shut down. Hard reset required for both situations.) Production quality seems inconsistent. The hardware itself looked much better than its price tag would suggest, but getting a perfectly working one is a crapshoot.

Returns with Lenovo eBay are way easier than with the official Lenovo site, though. So there's no harm in going for it if you don't mind the slight time and effort needed to return if you get a dud like I did.
Aug 26, 2020
36 posts
33 upvotes
How is the pen and touchscreen for this?

I tutor kids online and currently use my family iPad but I'd like to switch to my own device. This seems like a good deal and I really only need a tablet with good writing input, whiteboard app and being able to share screen via zoom.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1431 posts
3196 upvotes
Is 4gb of ram enough for a chromebook? Or should I really go with a 8gb of ram?
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2017
394 posts
502 upvotes
Whitby
AbilasS6530 wrote: How is the pen and touchscreen for this?

I tutor kids online and currently use my family iPad but I'd like to switch to my own device. This seems like a good deal and I really only need a tablet with good writing input, whiteboard app and being able to share screen via zoom.
I have a similar question. My daughter will start the college next year and she is trying to convince me to keep on Apple eco system (yes, another price range). She will use mainly to carry it to class, take notes and read books. As long it has a good pen/touchscreen for notes, that would be a great option as the price is very attractive.
Oct 9, 2019
69 posts
706 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
AbilasS6530 wrote: How is the pen and touchscreen for this?

The pen I got only sometimes would work. I purchased my Duet directly from Lenovo and now they are sending me another one to replace the one that came with my Duet. From what I can see online the Lenovo USI pen does have quality control issues, so a lot of people are recommending third party USI pens.

Other than the pen, really loving my Duet so far. For the price I don't think it can be beat.

I wish there was more case options though as I am worried about dropping it, as the magnetic back cover doesn't offer much in regards to protection, and the ones I found online seem to either be poorly made or not compatible with the keyboard.
Sep 14, 2020
191 posts
203 upvotes
I wasn't sure about getting this during the last deal. But looking at the reviews, I'd pass.
Oct 9, 2019
69 posts
706 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
MrMello wrote: I have a similar question. My daughter will start the college next year and she is trying to convince me to keep on Apple eco system (yes, another price range). She will use mainly to carry it to class, take notes and read books. As long it has a good pen/touchscreen for notes, that would be a great option as the price is very attractive.
I personally wouldn't recommend a Chromebook especially a Lenovo duet as a main laptop alternative.
  • Duet keyboard is small making typing a bit more difficult.
  • Screen is small as well. (If you are set on getting a Chromebook at least get 13 inch or bigger)
  • Microsoft Office isn't as well integrated as I originally thought. Also lacking a lot of features that come with windows and mac version.
  • When I was in University (2 years ago) I was sometimes required to use specialized programs that were only available on Windows and Mac (not sure if this applies to your daughter)

These are just a few reasons I've noticed from using mine for a few days. The Duet is a nice supplementary device but in my personal opinion not a good primary.
Last edited by Dealbyte on Aug 6th, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1681 posts
10360 upvotes
InvaIid wrote: Is 4gb of ram enough for a chromebook? Or should I really go with a 8gb of ram?
4GB should be more than enough. Chrome OS is lightweight and this Chromebook is intended for light duty tasks.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16855 posts
4630 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
MrMello wrote: I have a similar question. My daughter will start the college next year and she is trying to convince me to keep on Apple eco system (yes, another price range). She will use mainly to carry it to class, take notes and read books. As long it has a good pen/touchscreen for notes, that would be a great option as the price is very attractive.
Digital note taking is best on a keyboard, the pen on screen thing is a gimmick, and ux is terrible.
Dec 6, 2008
764 posts
482 upvotes
hmm does anyone who has this comment on if the gpu can decode .265 hvec?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1172 posts
426 upvotes
Cambridge
I bought and returned the Duet last month after trying for few weeks. For me, the use case was a secondary device for casual web surfing, a few apps and light productivity stuff mostly as a tablet.

Here's why I returned it;
1) As someone mentioned above, it has a problem with not waking from sleep and you need to basically long press power button to reboot every time that happens. Did not happen always but enough times to be annoying.
2) While Duet wasn't slow per se, it would intermittently just come to a halt for few seconds. When switching between multiple open apps, the inactive ones would go to sleep and then take few seconds to be active when you switch to them.
3) Personally, I wasn't very happy with the screen size, felt 10" was a little small. IMO, 10.5 feels a lot better than 10 and 11" hits the sweet spot for tablets.
4) Another issue using as a tablet was weight. Now tablet itself feels pretty good in this regard but the stand that magnetically attaches itself makes the whole thing a bit heavy. I would feel the added weight after having it in my hand for sometime but having the stand always attached is very convenient so didn't want to always remove it.
5) Pen was a mess.. initially it was way too sensitive and I tried virtually everything available on the web to fix it but nothing worked. Then after a few days (no major chrome os update), it started working fine. Then after few days, it would have the same issue randomly and then fix itself after a minute or so. In addition to that, if you know how good Surface pen feels, it is nothing like that.
6) Some android apps had resizing issues when using with keyboard attached and wouldn't always resize to full screen.

The best thing about the duet is its price. Overall it's not a bad device but for me, compromises weren't worth so it had to go back.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15100 upvotes
themyscira wrote: I got one of these during the last deal and it was a dud. (Wouldn't wake up after going to sleep and would randomly shut down. Hard reset required for both situations.) Production quality seems inconsistent. The hardware itself looked much better than its price tag would suggest,
It does? It's Mediatek and 4GB of RAM. How much would you expect this thing to cost? lol Looks like it was $30 cheaper before too so this is not so much of a deal at this price.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
15032 posts
4864 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ES_Revenge wrote: It does? It's Mediatek and 4GB of RAM. How much would you expect this thing to cost? lol Looks like it was $30 cheaper before too so this is not so much of a deal at this price.
You need to compare it to what else you could get for ~ $300. You may get a larger screen, but with only 768 resolution. You'd probably only get 32GB storage, maybe 64GB at most, and an even slower processor. My only gripe with the Duet is it doesn't play nice with my router, with random dropped connections. But the problem may be with my router.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15100 upvotes
Rogido wrote: You need to compare it to what else you could get for ~ $300. You may get a larger screen, but with only 768 resolution. You'd probably only get 32GB storage, maybe 64GB at most, and an even slower processor. My only gripe with the Duet is it doesn't play nice with my router, with random dropped connections. But the problem may be with my router.
Not sure what you mean. He said there was more hardware here than the price suggests. I don't see it. Helio P60T, 4GB RAM, eMMC? That seems like it's priced about where it should be. It's neither too pricey nor particularly cheap. Another $30 savings would be better but it'd have to be like $200 or less for me to think it was that impressive for the money.

I'm not much interested in "what else you could get" esp. when the market isn't good right now and Canada is even worse with the likes of Scamazon.ca trying to hock Fire 10 tablets for $160 and pretending that 's a deal :rolleyes: Meanwhile they were selling them for $80 US in the States as their deal. Is it a deal at $160 because the land border is still closed and the "regular price" on Scamazon.ca is $200 CAD? Nope. Amazon can blow me!

I'm talking about what it's worth based on the hardware that's there not this relative business which isn't relevant to me. People can go buy videocards that should be like $200 for $450 because that's where the market's at but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it's "worth" $450, I'm gonna say it's worth $200. (Now I hear the videocard market is improving, but I haven't bothered to keep up but it was this bad at some points and this is just an argument's sake example.) People that stick to this kind of thinking get suckered into spending too much and/or don't understand hardware, performance, and the value of such hardware.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4842 posts
2098 upvotes
WFH
There is a solution, you contribute the value of the attractively priced option and your daughter tops it up to with her own money to get the more socially acceptable model that she wants. It's a win win!
Dealbyte wrote: ...[*]When I was in University (2 years ago) I was sometimes required to use specialized programs that were only available on Windows and Mac (not sure if this applies to your daughter)
^^ this. Our kids have both recently gone through this and the establishment had minimum requirements based on the course content.
Nov 20, 2013
271 posts
194 upvotes
Burlington, ON
For elementary and highschool students the Duet is great. All the functionality of a Chromebook plus an Android tablet. I recently bought my daughter the HP USI pen because it is Lithium Ion rechargeable rather than single use AAAA. She loves it for drawing - uses Sketchbook and Flip-A-Clip primarily. My only negative is they didn't include a headphone jack but rather a USB-C headphone adapter which occupies the charging port when in use and can get misplaced. It also isn't at all ruggedized like some education targeted models.
Apr 22, 2016
131 posts
250 upvotes
Lenovo stuff is pretty trash. I have given this brand many chances and they always failed, laptop, tablets , chromebook, the only thing I kept was a Google assistant clock just because it was cheap. It might be a good deal for the money but keep in mind that you get what you paid for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)