• Dec 12th, 2019 12:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4184 posts
4872 upvotes
GTA

[eBay.ca] Lenovo Smart Clock w Google Assistant $47.99

Ebay's 12 Days of Deals item, Lenovo Smart Clock w Google Assistant on sale for $47.99, free ship.
Seller is Lenovo. Free returns within 30 days.

+ Check your eBay account for $5 off anything coupon YMMV

Lots of info in RFD thread from November ... Was $50 at Best Buy:
best-buy-lenovo-smart-clock-49-99-2327266/

2.5% Rakuten

One review: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18647 ... e-features

Last edited by Kfox on Dec 11th, 2019 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1597 posts
702 upvotes
Got it for $50 on the Best Buy deal. My only comment after reading that review (which is mostly accurate) is that there's no way you can read this thing from across the room, at least for most of us over the age of 40. The text on the screen is way too small. Once I moved it to the bedside table I found the text size to be fine.
May 30, 2017
593 posts
196 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
I bought this on Nov. 29 from the link and it took the account 6 business days to ship it. Don't understand why. It's now with UPS but it's stuck at Order Processed or something like that. UPS is really dragging its feet with this one. It also says the package originated from Canada when a US address is listed in the eBay posting. Weird stuff.

If you order this, hope you aren't stuck with super slow shipping/processing like I am.

Also, a word of warning: this alarm clock depends on a constant WiFi connection to work, which is incredibly stupid. They've added offline alarms now but these offline alarms are lost if the alarm turns off/loses power and comes back on. Really idiotic choice on Lenovo's part because the clock comes with 8GB of internal storage. There's no good reason to store the alarms in the cache (which the device can easily wipe).

I regret buying this device after learning about it needing a constant Internet connection. This product really is planned obsolescence at its finest.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2045 posts
712 upvotes
I had originally bought this at best buy when it was $50, but returned it to get the google nest hub for $20 more with the staples coupon code deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1263 posts
1289 upvotes
Toronto
Where do you check for the $5 off coupon?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4184 posts
4872 upvotes
GTA
EananC641158 wrote: Where do you check for the $5 off coupon?
for me it showed up in a banner across top of screen
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4184 posts
4872 upvotes
GTA
cellnerd wrote: I bought this on Nov. 29 from the link and it took the account 6 business days to ship it. Don't understand why. It's now with UPS but it's stuck at Order Processed or something like that. UPS is really dragging its feet with this one. It also says the package originated from Canada when a US address is listed in the eBay posting. Weird stuff.

If you order this, hope you aren't stuck with super slow shipping/processing like I am.

Also, a word of warning: this alarm clock depends on a constant WiFi connection to work, which is incredibly stupid. They've added offline alarms now but these offline alarms are lost if the alarm turns off/loses power and comes back on. Really idiotic choice on Lenovo's part because the clock comes with 8GB of internal storage. There's no good reason to store the alarms in the cache (which the device can easily wipe).

I regret buying this device after learning about it needing a constant Internet connection. This product really is planned obsolescence at its finest.
if I read you right, the only instance that you lose alarm functionality is if there is a power outage, not a loss of wifi connection?

Losing power is a rare event, so why is that a big deal?

Last edited by Kfox on Dec 12th, 2019 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 22, 2007
57 posts
12 upvotes
canada
mathewvc wrote: I had originally bought this at best buy when it was $50, but returned it to get the google nest hub for $20 more with the staples coupon code deal.
Lol same here. I returned 2 of these and bought 3 of the google nest hub with the $25 off $75 staples coupon
on Black friday. Nest Hub was $89.99 on sale Plus the $25 off coupon Final price with tax $73.44 . Was only about $16.49 upgrade for me. Definitely worth it for me.
May 30, 2017
593 posts
196 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
Kfox wrote: if I read you right, the only instance that you lose alarm functionality is if there is a power outage, not a loss of wifi connection?

Losing power is a rare event, so why is that a big deal?

Where I live Enersource seems to make a sport out of cutting power for a split second and then turning it back on. Which means my plugged-in home devices all lose power and have to come back on because of that split-second power outage. I can live with this because my devices won't lose stored info upon losing power

Anyway, I received the clock yesterday from Concord, ON and tested it out today. Luckily it didn't lose the alarms I set when I unplugged it downstairs and plugged it back in upstairs. So that fear is gone. Only thing I worry about now is the clock refusing to allow alarms to go off if WiFi is cut off. Sometimes TekSavvy goes down randomly and I don't want to miss an important alarm in the morning because of that. I'll probably test this by yanking my router's power cable out sometime
Dec 17, 2009
186 posts
41 upvotes
riazcody1 wrote: Lol same here. I returned 2 of these and bought 3 of the google nest hub with the $25 off $75 staples coupon
on Black friday. Nest Hub was $89.99 on sale Plus the $25 off coupon Final price with tax $73.44 . Was only about $16.49 upgrade for me. Definitely worth it for me.
Hi, what are the main advantages for the google hub?
Dec 20, 2010
89 posts
72 upvotes
cellnerd wrote: Where I live Enersource seems to make a sport out of cutting power for a split second and then turning it back on. Which means my plugged-in home devices all lose power and have to come back on because of that split-second power outage. I can live with this because my devices won't lose stored info upon losing power

Anyway, I received the clock yesterday from Concord, ON and tested it out today. Luckily it didn't lose the alarms I set when I unplugged it downstairs and plugged it back in upstairs. So that fear is gone. Only thing I worry about now is the clock refusing to allow alarms to go off if WiFi is cut off. Sometimes TekSavvy goes down randomly and I don't want to miss an important alarm in the morning because of that. I'll probably test this by yanking my router's power cable out sometime
Not being facetious, but maybe you just need a regular clock..

Picked one up for $50 as well, love it. Debating grabbing another for the other bedside table. I have a wireless charging stand & Google home on one side and a Lenovo clock on the other.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1199 posts
374 upvotes
I bought one of these direct from Lenovo over Black Friday. I'm happy with the device, and actually prefer it as a bedside clock to the Google Hub. The hub is a bit large for that purpose, IMO, and the Smart Clock is a nice size. It also doesn't have a camera (which, for my wife, was a dealbreaker), and an easy switch to turn off the microphone. I like the Hub a lot, but I don't think the bedroom is the right place for it.

It comes down to use-case: if you need/want a bedside alarm clock with some internet connectivity and Google Assistant, this is a great device for less than 50 bucks. If you want the functionality of the Google Hub/Home/Mini, then this isn't the right device.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4934 posts
3931 upvotes
Edmonton
Nitecrawller wrote: Hi, what are the main advantages for the google hub?
I don't think one is clearly better than the other. Depends on your use case.

Nest Hub: Larger Screen, Youtube videos, likely to get quicker updates and for a longer period.

Smart Clock: Smaller screen but also smaller size, USB port for charging other devices, No Youtube.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
May 30, 2017
593 posts
196 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
StefanYFC wrote: Not being facetious, but maybe you just need a regular clock..

Picked one up for $50 as well, love it. Debating grabbing another for the other bedside table. I have a wireless charging stand & Google home on one side and a Lenovo clock on the other.
Are you saying that you'd be fine if your alarms didn't go off because your Internet went down? Because the clock purportedly can't do something as simple as let alarms go off regardless of Internet connectivity? lol It's first and foremost an alarm clock. Then it's a smart home assistant. I'm having a family member replace her alarm clock with this one and while the additional features like the Good Morning routine and Nest integration are nice, that core function as an alarm clock needs to work reliably no matter what.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope alarms do go off even if your Internet goes down. Otherwise this thing is a $50 dud. A Google Home Mini is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1001 posts
731 upvotes
Best Alarm clock I've ever had, and it'll act like a smart speaker as well. I like this enough that I'm thinking of buying a second one.

The alarms go off if there is no internet connection, That's happened to me a few times.