Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] LG V20 64GB H918 (TMobile) Titan clr - $249.99 FS from Ont

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 12:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2012
3329 posts
1939 upvotes
Calgary

[eBay.ca] LG V20 64GB H918 (TMobile) Titan clr - $249.99 FS from Ont

LG V20 deals back & this time it's down to $250 shipped!!! & shipped from Markham Ont to boot so no duties or whatever the cross border hassle brings. This is the H918 TMobile variant & so bootloader unlock + a bunch of roms available at XDADevelopers. It's come down to the point where I'm seriously interested if for nothing else, as a very good DAP (that's Digital Audio Player for those with a need to know).


What else need said except that this is a very well reviewed phone & there's a ton of info online. Caveat: since this is a US TMobile phone, I would assume there's no warranty insitu so there's that but otherwise, this is much better than most chiphones in the similar price range.
34 replies
Member
Jun 3, 2012
492 posts
308 upvotes
YORK
used. “The item may have signs of handling such as minor scratches or minor marks. Ships in non retail box ”
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2012
3329 posts
1939 upvotes
Calgary
Gooddeal2012 wrote: used. “The item may have signs of handling such as minor scratches or minor marks. Ships in non retail box ”
U could well be correct as I'm unsure what it actually means but ebay descrip says "NEW OTHER" so I'm guestimating its open box new?
Member
Feb 25, 2008
323 posts
27 upvotes
I got in on the ebay deal last month with an unlocked AT&T version shipped from hong kong. The phone itself is awesome, fantastic screen, nice design. I was worried about the size but really so far it's been a non-issue.
My biggest complaint is the bloatware, at least the AT&T version has an OBSCENE amount of bloat on it. And rooting and removing the bloat is extremely difficult, you will need to sacrifice a few chickens in order to get a usable de-bloated device. I personally am going to wait to see if LG actually releases Android 8.0 for the device, if not then I'll likely go through the process of rooting and debloating it. I was happy with the price I paid so if I brick the device in the process I won't be too upset but it is a significant risk with the V20.

Issues:
  1. bloatware is significant and takes up way too much memory
  2. no way to enable wifi tethering without rooting the device, the AT&T software changes makes wifi tethering impossible
  3. no way to select any band other than LTE, not sure if this is just the AT&T device but be aware that LTE might be the only bands available without rooting
  4. battery life is not great, but this is likely because I can only use LTE bands, HSPA would likely improve the battery life significantly
  5. rooting and custom roms are not for the faint of heart
  6. no way to upgrade to any of the newer official android images (post 7.0) as the device is aware you're not on an AT&T network and refuses any upgrades until then
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1105 posts
197 upvotes
pr0cs wrote: I got in on the ebay deal last month with an unlocked AT&T version shipped from hong kong. The phone itself is awesome, fantastic screen, nice design. I was worried about the size but really so far it's been a non-issue.
My biggest complaint is the bloatware, at least the AT&T version has an OBSCENE amount of bloat on it. And rooting and removing the bloat is extremely difficult, you will need to sacrifice a few chickens in order to get a usable de-bloated device. I personally am going to wait to see if LG actually releases Android 8.0 for the device, if not then I'll likely go through the process of rooting and debloating it. I was happy with the price I paid so if I brick the device in the process I won't be too upset but it is a significant risk with the V20.

Issues:
  1. bloatware is significant and takes up way too much memory
  2. no way to enable wifi tethering without rooting the device, the AT&T software changes makes wifi tethering impossible
  3. no way to select any band other than LTE, not sure if this is just the AT&T device but be aware that LTE might be the only bands available without rooting
  4. battery life is not great, but this is likely because I can only use LTE bands, HSPA would likely improve the battery life significantly
  5. rooting and custom roms are not for the faint of heart
  6. no way to upgrade to any of the newer official android images (post 7.0) as the device is aware you're not on an AT&T network and refuses any upgrades until then
was it an H910 or the H918?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3988 posts
730 upvotes
Windsor
Hmmm, definitely interested in this.... Does this one have wi-fi tethering enabled?

Does the seller charge HST?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13997 posts
4079 upvotes
VANCOUVER
G77 wrote: Hmmm, definitely interested in this.... Does this one have wi-fi tethering enabled?

Does the seller charge HST?
I would say yes to HST, since it's sold from Canadian seller.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3988 posts
730 upvotes
Windsor
Rogido wrote: I would say yes to HST, since it's sold from Canadian seller.
Yeah, after further examination, it says so in the description....
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
995 posts
705 upvotes
pr0cs wrote: I got in on the ebay deal last month with an unlocked AT&T version shipped from hong kong. The phone itself is awesome, fantastic screen, nice design. I was worried about the size but really so far it's been a non-issue.
My biggest complaint is the bloatware, at least the AT&T version has an OBSCENE amount of bloat on it. And rooting and removing the bloat is extremely difficult, you will need to sacrifice a few chickens in order to get a usable de-bloated device. I personally am going to wait to see if LG actually releases Android 8.0 for the device, if not then I'll likely go through the process of rooting and debloating it. I was happy with the price I paid so if I brick the device in the process I won't be too upset but it is a significant risk with the V20.

Issues:
  1. bloatware is significant and takes up way too much memory
  2. no way to enable wifi tethering without rooting the device, the AT&T software changes makes wifi tethering impossible
  3. no way to select any band other than LTE, not sure if this is just the AT&T device but be aware that LTE might be the only bands available without rooting
  4. battery life is not great, but this is likely because I can only use LTE bands, HSPA would likely improve the battery life significantly
  5. rooting and custom roms are not for the faint of heart
  6. no way to upgrade to any of the newer official android images (post 7.0) as the device is aware you're not on an AT&T network and refuses any upgrades until then
Let me add to this because I did get an AT&T version back then and I have rooted the phone. I'll throw in my 2 cents

7. Rooting options become thwarted if you update this phone beyond the August 2017 Patch (I believe that's the right month)
8. You can only Wifi hotspot with root and by executing a terminal command at every reboot
9. AT&T doesn't include the stock MUSIC app which allows you to play HiFi audio. You have to get the app and sign the app to the phone for it to install. Not alot of other apps that push 24bit @ 192KHz sampling and no way to check if they do without external instruments
10. The phone blocks the use of the QUAD DAC amp if the phone doesn't detect a high impedance line and HiFi (24bit), but root allows forced use on 16bit files
11. Low Light camera is pretty terrible unless manual, AUTO mode is terrible, EIS is terrible and I haven't had any success using the Ported cameras from the pixel apps.
12. VoLTE and VoWifi do not work on canadian networks because RoBelluS only allows the use of those features from branded phones. Not from other carrier locked phones and factory unlocked phones
13. The AT&T model of this phone uses 45% of the notification bar with the carriers name written in bold and another 5% for the dumb AT&T 4G icon. Root can remove these. (don't know about Tmobile)
14. Colour accuracy of the screen is terrible with the red/oranges. There is a way of changing the screen colours but the method in which it's done is hard to pinpoint desired colours
15. LG implements a lot of termal throttling with the phone, esp while charging but I haven't bothered changing the buildprop to mitigate the throttle.
16. LG implements a tracker/logger and FOTA which milks ~300mb of ram off the bat. You may find yourself maxing out on the 4G


Anyways there are some other grievances but not enough to bash this phone any further. Is this a decent phone? Hell yes but unless you root phones and are technical with it it's just not worth the time or effort. I was deciding between the OP5 (x2 $$$) vs this and because i got reference headphones for my birthday I bought this phone to see what the DAC hype was about. It's pretty good however I don't see myself using this all the time as it siphons a butt ton of battery
Last edited by IceCreamGee on Feb 9th, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2605 posts
1444 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How's the quality of the battery on this refurbished phone? Is the battery new?

Can you get a day's use out of this?
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3988 posts
730 upvotes
Windsor
IceCreamGee wrote: Let me add to this because I did get an AT&T version back then and I have rooted the phone. I'll throw in my 2 cents

7. Rooting options become thwarted if you update this phone beyond the August 2017 Patch (I believe that's the right month)
8. You can only Wifi hotspot with root and by executing a terminal command at every reboot
9. AT&T doesn't include the stock MUSIC app which allows you to play HiFi audio. You have to get the app and sign the app to the phone for it to install. Not alot of other apps that push 24bit @ 192KHz sampling and no way to check if they do without external instruments
10. The phone blocks the use of the DAC amp if the files are not HiFi (24bit), but root allows forced use on 16bit files
11. Low Light camera is pretty terrible unless manual, AUTO mode is terrible, EIS is terrible and I haven't had any success using the Ported cameras from the pixel apps.
12. VoLTE and VoWifi do not work on canadian networks because RoBelluS only allows the use of those features from branded phones. Not from other carrier locked phones and factory unlocked phones
13. The AT&T model of this phone uses 45% of the notification bar with the carriers name written in bold and another 5% for the dumb AT&T 4G icon. Root can remove these. (don't know about Tmobile)
14. Colour accuracy of the screen is terrible with the red/oranges. There is a way of changing the screen colours but the method in which it's done is hard to pinpoint desired colours
15. LG implements a lot of termal throttling with the phone, esp while charging but I haven't bothered changing the buildprop to mitigate the throttle.
16. LG implements a tracker/logger and FOTA which milks ~300mb of ram off the bat. You may find yourself maxing out on the 4G


Anyways there are some other grievances but not enough to bash this phone any further. Is this a decent phone? Hell yes but unless you root phones and are technical with it it's just not worth the time or effort. I was deciding between the OP5 (x2 $$$) vs this and because i got reference headphones for my birthday I bought this phone to see what the DAC hype was about. It's pretty good however I don't see myself using this all the time as it siphons a butt ton of battery
So you're saying the DAC is only active on 24-bit files, not if you use say Spotify (though Tidal would probably be ok?).
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
995 posts
705 upvotes
G77 wrote: So you're saying the DAC is only active on 24-bit files, not if you use say Spotify (though Tidal would probably be ok?).
That's correct
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2518 posts
1661 upvotes
Montreal
Used phone. “The item may have signs of handling such as minor scratches or minor marks. Ships in non retail box ”
Newbie
Aug 4, 2014
22 posts
5 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Any difference in the bloatware for this model and the AT&T one?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3988 posts
730 upvotes
Windsor
IceCreamGee wrote: That's correct
xblackdemonx wrote: That is incorrect.
Alright guys, so which is it?

The DAC is the most attractive aspect of this phone for me, if it only works on 24-bit files then that kinda sucks...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
995 posts
705 upvotes
xblackdemonx wrote: That is incorrect.
the quad DAC is programmed to only kick on for music above a certain quality level, otherwise it only uses one DAC
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2518 posts
1661 upvotes
Montreal
IceCreamGee wrote: the quad DAC is programmed to only kick on for music above a certain quality level, otherwise it only uses one DAC
It doesn't change anything in the quality, it's only to preserve battery life. It still works with any music.
Last edited by xblackdemonx on Feb 9th, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1050 posts
764 upvotes
xblackdemonx wrote: Nowhere does it say that. Please provide proof.
How would it even know? There isn't an API in Android for something like that.

Top