Expired Hot Deals

eBay.ca

NewEgg: Asus RT-AX68U WIFI 6 Router - $180.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 6:19 pm
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 5, 2017
424 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver

[eBay.ca] NewEgg: Asus RT-AX68U WIFI 6 Router - $180.99

Was looking for a new router to replace my aging R7000 and found the Asus RT-AX68U router for sale at
$180.99 on Newegg eBay.

Better than the RT-AX58U, although you lose out 160Mhz
Solid review from Dong Knows - https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax68u-ax2 ... er-review/

Also supported by Merlin (https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/)
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 31st, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
Thread Summary
If you're upgrading your internet, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best WiFi 6 routers!
28 replies
Member
Mar 26, 2013
242 posts
178 upvotes
Twin Peaks
Yazzy88 wrote: Was looking for a new router to replace my aging R7000 and found the Asus RT-AX68U router for sale at
$180.99 on Newegg eBay.

Better than the RT-AX58U, although you lose out 160Mhz
Solid review from Dong Knows - https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax68u-ax2 ... er-review/

Also supported by Merlin (https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/)
Merlin firmware suspicious to me, nothing but issues like random reboots and wifi shutting off and even crashes, so bad people think its hardware failures and such. Fair warning.
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2015
146 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I bought this thing last month after my old netgear r6400 router started having weird DNS issues.

The new router has to be reset every two days. Ethernet still works but wifi doesn’t, and it won’t let you log in to the admin interface. Pretty disappointing overall.
Sr. Member
Dec 3, 2007
895 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
HuoShing wrote:
Merlin firmware suspicious to me, nothing but issues like random reboots and wifi shutting off and even crashes, so bad people think its hardware failures and such. Fair warning.
Been using John's fork of Merlin and the original Merlin on all my Asus routers for years with multiple setups and ISPs. Never had a problem with the firmware. Read through SNB Forums troubleshooting posts for Merlin and haven't seen what you're describing.

Their is support threads on SNB Forums that help you troubleshoot your issues so they can help you isolate the issue. It's almost always the user setup or hardware.

An example that lead to a possible GUI issue that was related to Openvpn.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u ... ter.64571/

It's sad when testing and developing better software leads to folks who are uncomfortable with the process calling it out suspicious and inferior. It's a normal part of the process and it's not for everyone. Have to put the work in troubleshooting yourself if you want to reap the rewards.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 17, 2005
5304 posts
2122 upvotes
Kitchener
I dont have issues with the merlin firmware misbehaving on my ac66u b1. I just hate using it and would much prefer tomato. I'll take the r7000 off yiur hands op lol
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2372 posts
1587 upvotes
Kitchener
Mines been pretty flawless for a while now as my main mesh router with 2 nodes (ac86u)

Edit - I thought this was AX86U...
Last edited by keyser-soze on Aug 31st, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2372 posts
1587 upvotes
Kitchener
HuoShing wrote: Merlin firmware suspicious to me, nothing but issues like random reboots and wifi shutting off and even crashes, so bad people think its hardware failures and such. Fair warning.
Can you link to this? Would like to read the convo as I just got one for my parents. Mine has been working great. Want to see if it's related to a specific hardware version
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24360 posts
31264 upvotes
This seems like a great deal, but is the AX86 ridden with problems? Are these growing pains or evidence of a more serious issue with the router?
keyser-soze wrote: Mines been pretty flawless for a while now as my main mesh router with 2 nodes (ac86u)
This is reassuring. I'm wanting to integrate an AX86U as a center-point of an AIMesh of AC86U units.

The problem. The AC86U units work perfectly fine, why mess with perfection?

Edit: Eyes crossed, it's the 68U, the sleeper cousin of the 86U. Woops.

Still have concerns about the AX86U, but will table them for another thread.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Aug 31st, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15426 posts
10066 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Been using Merlin fw almost a decade on several Asus routers without issue. A Canadian legend.

Note this isn’t the regarded AX86U but the 68 (still might be fine for some users, idk)
Sr. Member
Nov 9, 2014
702 posts
677 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thundercloud wrote: I dont have issues with the merlin firmware misbehaving on my ac66u b1. I just hate using it and would much prefer tomato. I'll take the r7000 off yiur hands op lol
I have Merlin software on my router too - it works well. I don't like it very much and Merlin (the dev) bends over for ASUS ALL OF THE TIME, which is understandable given the access and support they give him. Don't expect miracles from the Merlin firmware and don't expect the level of functionality you could get from Tomato (eg Merlin refuses to port Wireguard VPN to the firmware ... for reasons ... as an example.)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 19, 2010
3370 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Not a bad device, but the Archer AX73 is better and still on sale for $180 at Amazon & BestBuy.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16296 posts
21300 upvotes
Toronto
Zyphur wrote: Not a bad device, but the Archer AX73 is better and still on sale for $180 at Amazon & BestBuy.
Why?
Destiny is all
Newbie
Apr 7, 2015
32 posts
8 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
keyser-soze wrote: Can you link to this? Would like to read the convo as I just got one for my parents. Mine has been working great. Want to see if it's related to a specific hardware version
I along with many others here have been using the Merlin software for years.. I have 2 AC68U's, the 2nd is a Mesh node that I have hardwired. Any issues that I had in the past were really my own doing, as I push my router very hard. As an FYI, I have on average about 60+ devices connected at any time, with a mix of about 50+ being on Wifi. 3 POE IP cameras in the mix streaming the video feed to a QNAP NAS I have running 24/7 recording the video, along with it running a PLEX server. It's been a work horse for me. I'm also using the Merlin DNS Filtering for specific clients in the home, and forcing them to run through my Adguard DNS server running on the NAS, this way I can have specific device control for my kids devices. The key for me is that I schedule a weekly reboot of my router in the early AM, just to clear out any potential issues. Once I started doing this, its been great.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 5, 2017
424 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
wrenkin wrote: I bought this thing last month after my old netgear r6400 router started having weird DNS issues.

The new router has to be reset every two days. Ethernet still works but wifi doesn’t, and it won’t let you log in to the admin interface. Pretty disappointing overall.
Yikes - ordered it last night. Hopefully no issues on mine. Plan on flashing Merlin right away
Thundercloud wrote: I dont have issues with the merlin firmware misbehaving on my ac66u b1. I just hate using it and would much prefer tomato. I'll take the r7000 off yiur hands op lol
My R7000 has been solid for over 7 years, especially after using XWRT which is basically Merlin. Plan on using it as a Media Bridge to connect several devices
Member
Mar 26, 2013
242 posts
178 upvotes
Twin Peaks
keyser-soze wrote: Can you link to this? Would like to read the convo as I just got one for my parents. Mine has been working great. Want to see if it's related to a specific hardware version
AC68U is mine and it is what I searched for when problems started, no shortage of complaints.

The instant I reverted back to stock asus firmware, all issues stopped.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1395 posts
1030 upvotes
Québec
Dhanushan wrote: Why?
Not sure why he said that, but The asus does not support 160 MHz channels.

That not a big deal to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2372 posts
1587 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote: This seems like a great deal, but is the AX86 ridden with problems? Are these growing pains or evidence of a more serious issue with the router?



This is reassuring. I'm wanting to integrate an AX86U as a center-point of an AIMesh of AC86U units.

The problem. The AC86U units work perfectly fine, why mess with perfection?

Edit: Eyes crossed, it's the 68U, the sleeper cousin of the 86U. Woops.

Still have concerns about the AX86U, but will table them for another thread.
My eyes were crossed too... I have the AX86U... not the 68..
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2032 posts
2652 upvotes
TORONTO
How's this compare to the wifi 6 HUAWEI AX3? Looking to upgrade to wifi 6.
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Went to the Merlin website, they don't appear to update the firmware very often, and there are a bunch of exploits out there recently that wouldn't have been addressed by an April firmware update.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)