[eBay.ca] [newegg] Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz -$429.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2017 10:48 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
414 posts
1370 upvotes

[eBay.ca] [newegg] Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz -$429.99

Came across this great deal from Newegg. Its the lowest price in the market. - Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-Core-i7-77 ... 2414634493
38 replies
Feb 21, 2014
430 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Intel may be revamping and enhancing their entire CPU lineup in response to Zen:

https://www.techpowerup.com/230422/amds ... pu-line-up

Not a good time to be buying a CPU IMO. Zen should be released within one month. It looks like it could disrupt the entre CPU market.
There are no reviews only rumours. Knowing AMD they will drop the ball again on this.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1878 posts
917 upvotes
mb
I wouldn't worry about waiting for ryzen, as I didn't. My 7600k overclocked past 5.1ghz. Ryzen will not have the same single core performance as Intel according to leaked benchmarks. You will simply be getting more cores for your money. When it comes to games single core performance makes a huge difference. This is what's being shown in the chart above that pegs the 7600k against a 6 core Ryzen for instance.

With the listed rumors of the new kaby lake chips I see no difference between the 7700k and 7740k. Once you overclock both they will probably be the same. Also I would be very surprised to see the 7640k come with hyperthreading as this is what makes the i7 worth the upgrade. It's possible that the 7640k would have hyperthreading though, and if it does it most likely won't overclock as well as a 7700k vs 7740k.

Ultimately in the end after Ryzen is released, I personally think Intel will still hold the belt, but AMD will offer something competitive for less money. If you are an enthusiast you will most likely still choose the extra bit of performance.
Jul 14, 2010
657 posts
243 upvotes
nadrojcote wrote: I wouldn't worry about waiting for ryzen, as I didn't. My 7600k overclocked past 5.1ghz. Ryzen will not have the same single core performance as Intel according to leaked benchmarks. You will simply be getting more cores for your money. When it comes to games single core performance makes a huge difference. This is what's being shown in the chart above that pegs the 7600k against a 6 core Ryzen for instance.

With the listed rumors of the new kaby lake chips I see no difference between the 7700k and 7740k. Once you overclock both they will probably be the same. Also I would be very surprised to see the 7640k come with hyperthreading as this is what makes the i7 worth the upgrade. It's possible that the 7640k would have hyperthreading though, and if it does it most likely won't overclock as well as a 7700k vs 7740k.

Ultimately in the end after Ryzen is released, I personally think Intel will still hold the belt, but AMD will offer something competitive for less money. If you are an enthusiast you will most likely still choose the extra bit of performance.
I see absolutely no reason to spend the money right now considering how close Zen is. If Zen sucks, Intel's pricing won't really change. If Zen is great, Intel will be forced to respond. Unless you absolutely cannot wait a month or so (impatience? or do you have a more rational reason like needing the PC for work?) waiting is clearly the best strategy.

You've also exaggerated the importance of single core performance. One's need for a fast CPU depends on their setup. My 7 year old 980X at 4.2GHz pegs my Titan X Maxwell at 100% usage in every game I play, maxed out at 1440p, and never less than 60fps. Unless you are a gamer who loves high refresh rate 1080p, single core performance doesn't matter that much. Plus, the trend in game development is clearly leaning towards utilizing more threads. I'd never consider buying a 7600K, even after Zen releases. 4 cores will be the new "entry level" in short order.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1878 posts
917 upvotes
mb
rbl_posse wrote: I see absolutely no reason to spend the money right now considering how close Zen is. If Zen sucks, Intel's pricing won't really change. If Zen is great, Intel will be forced to respond. Unless you absolutely cannot wait a month or so (impatience? or do you have a more rational reason like needing the PC for work?) waiting is clearly the best strategy.

You've also exaggerated the importance of single core performance. One's need for a fast CPU depends on their setup. My 7 year old 980X at 4.2GHz pegs my Titan X Maxwell at 100% usage in every game I play, maxed out at 1440p, and never less than 60fps. Unless you are a gamer who loves high refresh rate 1080p, single core performance doesn't matter that much. Plus, the trend in game development is clearly leaning towards utilizing more threads. I'd never consider buying a 7600K, even after Zen releases. 4 cores will be the new "entry level" in short order.
Considering it's only a month away, waiting wouldn't be a bad thing, but we've already seen Kaby lake prices dropping within the first week of release. Which i think was to gain sales in this "waiting period" before Ryzen, albeit they've went back up. I don't see Intel dropping their pants when Ryzen comes out, you'll maybe save $20-$30 until the competition really gets heated later in the year.

You're right, multi threading is starting to become more popular. I guess what I meant by that is that intel's 4 core is going to beat a ryzen 4 core.... etc. When it comes to low-mid range cards there is almost no difference in FPS in games when comparing an i3 to an i7, because of the single core performance being the same. It's not until you get inter mid-higher end cards where the CPU becomes the bottleneck. We've seen this in the past when you have a faster intel processor with even two threads let alone 4, it will outperform even an 8 core slower single threaded performance CPU from AMD. This new line is just going to close the gap even more so that a 4 core with hyperthreading Ryzen will probably perform around the same as an intel i5 without hyperthreading in real world performance.
Jul 7, 2011
248 posts
143 upvotes
Montreal
nadrojcote wrote: "Planning to De-Lid?"

it! I did my 7600k and a guy I know did his 7700k. Both of us dropped 20c at load.
You guys have balls made of pure titanium, messing with a 450$ computer part like that :|
Oct 3, 2013
140 posts
55 upvotes
Surrey
Regardless of how AMD's Ryzen will turn out, i'm just glad for more competition in the market, am i right? AMD could use better CPUs and more market share, and INTEL to lessen their hold on cpu and motherboard prices. Overall lowering prices for us all. It's not just the CPUs, i like AMD for the fact that it provided more matx boards at a reasonable price for a HTPC build.
Dec 16, 2015
28 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sdk676 wrote: ... and INTEL to lessen their hold on cpu and motherboard prices.
Touche. Not to mention they created a whole new chipset just for Xeon chips so you can't just buy a cheaper i7 with no integrated graphics....
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10830 posts
5095 upvotes
i bought at 399 but then canceled order because of the heat issues people been complaining about but now not so sure if i should keep waiting for a 6700k or not.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2251 posts
1216 upvotes
Very short sighted to be building a system right now IMO if its not absolutely necessary . We are on the edge of a possible market shakeup. Im not saying AMD is gonna pull it off, but if they have. Intel is gonna have to scramble. I do believe Intel will hold a clockspeed and IPC advantage, Ryzen will be giving up some single core performance to KabyLake. But will make up for that in cores. As other have stated, the future is multithreaded as it seems were pretty close to the speed limits of silicon @ around 5.0Ghz under ambient cooling. 7600K will be quick now for simpler games like CS:GO, overwatch etc. But BF1 already uses all 12 of my 4930K's threads. Thats where the market is going...Wait for Ryzen and read the reviews, determine your usage, then decide what better suits you!
Last edited by Psyclist on Feb 7th, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
The launch date has been updated, Ryzen will be coming out on February 28.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
695 posts
958 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
Probably that and a rep from Intel predicting these will all do 5Ghz on air easy, when in fact it's luck of the draw.

On another note someone had stated that Ryzen will work on 7 but it was announced there will be no driver support for 7, it will work but at what capacity remains to be seen.