• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2022 10:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3815 posts
1230 upvotes

[eBay.ca] [REFURB] Lenovo Flex 5 Ryzen 4700U +16GB + 512GB SSD ~$525

I think this is a good deal, I've purchased a few items from this seller and two of these Lenovo's and items are basically LNIB, price seems to change by a few dollars daily.

UPS lost one of my packages but the seller was easy to deal with, otherwise I wouldn't post this deal coz eBay.

This is a refurbished product so if your looking for new click away, no Lenovo warranty.

This has a FRENCH keyboard layout but keyboard is in English.

Use these to stress test:
Heaven for GPU
Cinebench r23 for CPU
Memtest86 for memory
Any online keyboard/mouse testing site.
Test all I/O and screen
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, RFD Reviews has a list of the best SSDs for your devices!
16 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28625 upvotes
Refurbished unit with no real substantive warranty (as you say), but it's a reasonable value in a COVID inflationary environment.

Thank you, OP.

P.S. I recognize the seller now, consistency is a known issue with this seller. Product quality and condition can be hit and miss, and post-sale support regarding issues, isn't always the best. Just FYI.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3815 posts
1230 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Refurbished unit with no real substantive warranty (as you say), but it's a reasonable value in a COVID inflationary environment.

Thank you, OP.
Seller offers 90 day warranty for whatever that is worth, stress test the system and it should be good enough.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3414 posts
3480 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Of course the RBC 20% discount on eBay refurb products is expired!
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28625 upvotes
Folks, do with this as you please, but this is a fair bit of coin to drop for a unit that isn't that much cheaper than an OEM sale for a new unit.

Furthermore, the new unit will come with proper manufacturer support, and even the prospect for discounted warranty upgrades with purchase.

Consider the total value proposition, I'm not saying this is strictly good or bad.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28625 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: Looks like the same model that was at Costco last year. Might be returns from there? lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-81x20067cf-2-1-la ... 9-2471355/
It's very likely returns from big box and/or Amazon, yes. This is why I warn folks that the rate of problems will be higher, and the support will be worse. Some of these issues are intrinsic hardware faults from mass production, and cannot be easily repaired.

The OP price is reasonable, but it's not gangbusters cheap given the risk-reward trade-off, in my opinion.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3483 posts
1917 upvotes
Airdrie
I paid about this much for an HP 5500u / 8GB / 1TB *if* Rakuten pays out. I paid another $120 for a Lenovo Chrome tablet.
It's awfully tempting to return them both in favour of this.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1609 posts
533 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote: Not a good benchmark, I've seen this unit for between $600 and $700 brand new, though it may not be on sale right now. PC Canada is not an authoritative price benchmark.
PC-Canada link was just for the easy viewing of the specs and the manual. $799 seemed like the going rate for this at Costco last year. Right now there are very few options in the sub $600 range.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3815 posts
1230 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: It's very likely returns from big box and/or Amazon, yes. This is why I warn folks that the rate of problems will be higher, and the support will be worse. Some of these issues are intrinsic hardware faults from mass production, and cannot be easily repaired.

The OP price is reasonable, but it's not gangbusters cheap given the risk-reward trade-off, in my opinion.
You are correct, that's why I added the bit on what to use to stress test the system. If you stress test it for a few hours and it shows no faults then its likely just a return with no manufacturing defects at least in my experience.

If the SSD is bad, its an easy repair but yes other faults like RAM/CPU cannot be fixed.
Last edited by JonSnow on Jan 11th, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28625 upvotes
SomeGuyGG wrote: PC-Canada link was just for the easy viewing of the specs and the manual. $799 seemed like the going rate for this at Costco last year. Right now there are very few options in the sub $600 range.
As I say, risk-reward trade off.

People have been messaging me with recommendation requests, and I've been reluctantly steering them to more warranty friendly options.

All hardware has failure risk, and mission critical failures on a work computer is a time sensitive issue. OEM and Costco warranties have proven fairly generous as of late, grey market third party resellers, not so much.

Again, to each their own.
JonSnow wrote: You are correct, that's why I added the bit on what to use to stress test the system. If you stress test it for a few hours and it shows no faults then its likely just a return with no manufacturing defects at least in my experience.

If the SSD is bad, its an easy repair but yes other faults like RAM/CPU cannot be fixed.
That may be, but if faulty, the return / replacement situation isn't always easy with these third party sellers.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3414 posts
3480 upvotes
Montreal, QC
No risk no reward, folks, don't be wussies :twisted:
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
4333 posts
2089 upvotes
Toronto
JonSnow wrote: You are correct, that's why I added the bit on what to use to stress test the system. If you stress test it for a few hours and it shows no faults then its likely just a return with no manufacturing defects at least in my experience.

Also add Prime95 which runs various tests and you can run it for 24 hours. If the laptop doesn't crash/reboot in 24 hours of non-stop tests, I'd say it's a solid system.
[AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz |RTX 3070ti FE | Samsung EVO960 240GB SSD & WD BLUE 4TB | Phanteks P300]
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8898661390.png
Feedbacks:
RFD Ebay HoFo Heatware