• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 2:13 am
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3559 posts
1375 upvotes
London, ON
Question.

I’m having a hard time selling my iPhone 8 locally. I’m curious if I list it and sell it for around $600, should I be worried if those scammy customers who claim they haven’t received the item? Even with tracking I get worried.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5963 posts
1759 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:09 pm
Question.

I’m having a hard time selling my iPhone 8 locally. I’m curious if I list it and sell it for around $600, should I be worried if those scammy customers who claim they haven’t received the item? Even with tracking I get worried.
Set as immediate payment required, photos of the serial # (I usually blur it out partially for the listing), only ship to confirmed PayPal address with tracking. Other people have chimed in on ways to protect yourself, there's rarely any issues if you do it by the book.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3559 posts
1375 upvotes
London, ON
Angultra wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:40 pm
Set as immediate payment required, photos of the serial # (I usually blur it out partially for the listing), only ship to confirmed PayPal address with tracking. Other people have chimed in on ways to protect yourself, there's rarely any issues if you do it by the book.
What’s the purpose of taking the picture of the serial #?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1561 posts
845 upvotes
Montreal, QC
tcjw30 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:37 pm

Yes. That is what happened last time. But keep in mind, they have a time limit to when you sell the item. I think if you sell it within a month its $1, anything after they charge normal 10% commission. A little sneaky.
Just make your listing for 30 days (not "Till canceled"). And keep in mind it is not for multiple qty items. And usually 5 days before end of listing, I will drop my price by 5%. It usually gets "watchers" to take another look and sometimes it is enough for them to pull the trigger. I'd rather drop 5% on my price, that give 10% to ebay :)

Like someone else mentioned however, tack the expected shipping cost into the price of your item and list it with "free shipping". That way you don't pay the 10% commission on the shipping. I made that mistake during the first promo, and listing shipping separately and I was surprised.
fpenguin wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:37 pm
Even if eBay charges $1 for the fvf, won’t paypal charge for the transaction? (Around 4% maybe?)
Yes, you don't save on the paypal commision. Only on ebay. But 10% can be quite significant on bigger ticket items.
Coz4k wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:57 pm
Ebay and paypal fees are terrible (15-20%).

I quit selling years ago because of that.
Fees are crazy, agreed.. But the exposure to a larger market is worth it for some items. I often have higher end workstation class computer video cards forsale ($300 to $1000+ each), and selling locally is not very easy. And some of the scum offers you get on kijiji are even worse sometimes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5963 posts
1759 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:48 pm
In case they try and pull a swap? Hasn't happened yet, but also for my own piece of mind in case of a legit issue. Just having that in your back pocket could scare off many would-be crooks looking for an ignorant seller.

Keeping postal slips, recording weight, I've read some people even take pictures of the packing. Just use common sense, if any red flags like asking to change address after payment you have no obligation to do it (all seller protection disappears if you do), plus if they have feedback then a quick skim can't hurt.
Last edited by Angultra on Jan 11th, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1561 posts
845 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Sejad wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:48 pm
To avoid the switch and claim defect tactic for a refund. Happened to me once. I sold an Nvidia GTX 1080, and it was still under manufacturer warranty. The buyer ordered it (because he had the exact same model which was dead). Then when he got mine, he claimed that mine was dead. Since the card was still under warranty, I offered to pay for the cost of shipping the card to the manufacturer, and a small additional amount for the inconvenience. He agreed. I told him to just send me the RMA number that was given to him by the manufacturer just for reference.

Well, he gave me the RMA number, and I decided to check it out. I called the manufacturer (EVGA) and I asked them to confirm what the serial number associated with this specific RMA was (I lied and told them "because my boss had asked me to ship the card back, but wasn't sure which one from our pile it was"). Well, guess what, it was NOT the card I had sent him. I tag all my parts, and keep the serial numbers with all my shipping records. So when I confronted him about the information about the serial number I sent him and the serial number associated with the RMA, he never replied and decided to close the case with ebay. There are quite a few scum out there, so you have to cover yourself as much as possible.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3559 posts
1375 upvotes
London, ON
Angultra wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:56 pm
In case they try and pull a swap? Hasn't happened yet, but also for my own piece of mind in case of a legit issue. Just having that in your back pocket could scare off many would-be crooks looking for an ignorant seller.

Keeping postal slips, recording weight, I've read some people even take pictures of the packing. Just use common sense, if any red flags like asking to change address after payment you have no obligation to do it (all seller protection disappears if you do), plus if they have feedback then a quick skim can't hurt.
Emporium wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:02 pm
To avoid the switch and claim defect tactic for a refund. Happened to me once. I sold an Nvidia GTX 1080, and it was still under manufacturer warranty. The buyer ordered it (because he had the exact same model which was dead). Then when he got mine, he claimed that mine was dead. Since the card was still under warranty, I offered to pay for the cost of shipping the card to the manufacturer, and a small additional amount for the inconvenience. He agreed. I told him to just send me the RMA number that was given to him by the manufacturer just for reference.

Well, he gave me the RMA number, and I decided to check it out. I called the manufacturer (EVGA) and I asked them to confirm what the serial number associated with this specific RMA was (I lied and told them "because my boss had asked me to ship the card back, but wasn't sure which one from our pile it was"). Well, guess what, it was NOT the card I had sent him. I tag all my parts, and keep the serial numbers with all my shipping records. So when I confronted him about the information about the serial number I sent him and the serial number associated with the RMA, he never replied and decided to close the case with ebay. There are quite a few scum out there, so you have to cover yourself as much as possible.
Wow, that’s some good really useful information as well some crappy people out there. Thank you fellow RFD’ers.
Dec 5, 2012
6 posts
I bought a $300 massager from amazon.com and didn't end up using more than 3 times. Should I put a link to the amazon item so people can read all the good comments about it?

This'll be my first item I've sold. Are we allowed to put : " Returns may be subjected to a 20% restocking fee". Or Return shipping cost is the buyers responsibility, no matter what the return reason is for. (I saw this on other ebay ads)
May 21, 2015
120 posts
28 upvotes
Emporium wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:53 pm
Just make your listing for 30 days (not "Till canceled").
Good call.
Emporium wrote:
And keep in mind it is not for multiple qty items.
I couldn't find anything about this in Restrictions & Exclusions. Where did you find this?
Emporium wrote:
tack the expected shipping cost into the price of your item and list it with "free shipping". That way you don't pay the 10% commission on the shipping
Good advice. Also known as the 10% 'Final Value Fee on Shipping'

The Promotion excludes listings created prior to activating the offer and listings with a start date prior to, or after, the Promotion Period.
Hoping this doesn't apply to draft listings created prior to the 12th. Probably not. Hopefully not.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1561 posts
845 upvotes
Montreal, QC
user512 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:20 pm
I couldn't find anything about this in Restrictions & Exclusions. Where did you find this?
Interesting, it is no longer there.. I just assumed that the restrictions were the same as the last 2 times I used this promo. I'm pretty sure it was there the first time, but I never read the fine print second time either. This time it is obviously not there.

So how would it work if I have quantity 10, of 5 different items, and I create 5 listings with 10 available of each item. If I sell everything (all 50 articles) within 30 days, (since it is only 5 listings), will I get charged only $1 each for each 50 transactions (assuming each item sold in a separate transaction) ? Or would it only be the first 5 items sold which would qualify for the $1, and the rest would be at 10% ?
Now it gets more interesting..
May 21, 2015
120 posts
28 upvotes
Emporium wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:38 pm
the first 5 items sold which would qualify for the $1, and the rest would be at 10% ?
I'm guessing that's how they would treat it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5963 posts
1759 upvotes
Toronto
Deal is live. After activating you can easily check if each one counts by checking the "Promotional Offers" at the bottom of My eBay after each listing.

Screenshot (5).jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5753 posts
458 upvotes
Kanata
How much fees do we pay in the end with this promotion, just 3% paypal and $1?
May 21, 2015
120 posts
28 upvotes
rivet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:16 am
How much fees do we pay in the end with this promotion, just 3% paypal and $1?
Final Value fee - $1 (excluding Cars & Trucks ( 6001 ),Motorcycles ( 6024 ), Boats ( 26429 ),Powersports ( 66466 ),Real Estate ( 10542 ),Other Vehicles & Trailers ( 6038 ),Commercial Printing Presses ( 26247 ),Food Trucks, Trailers & Carts ( 67145 ),Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment ( 92036 ),Heavy Equipment ( 177641 )
Final Value Fee on Shipping - 10% of shipping cost

Fees for optional features (such as reserve price, subtitle, Gallery Plus, listing in two categories, etc.) and any applicable PayPal fees will still apply. Please note: Not all features are available in all listing flows.

https://www.ebay.ca/rpp/selling-weekend
https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/fees.html

And PayPal transaction fee