• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2019 2:50 am
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1797 posts
462 upvotes
bbccat wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:55 pm
If you list something make sure you list it in Canadian dollars and if a foreigner buys it there will be no conversion fee for the Canadian seller. The foreign buyer fronts that cost and you will be paid in CDN. That usually saves another 3% or so.
I have a US based ebay account and a Canadian ebay account. I actually prefer listing in US dollars unless promotions like this make it worthwhile, as it seems most of my buyers are from the US. When listing in USD, you pay less paypal fees, and if you have a USD account at RBC in Canada, you can just transfer from PayPal into the USD account without paying any conversion fees. There's threads on RFD about this.

Be aware that if someone in the US purchases your item listed in Canadian dollars, you will pay PayPal fees of 3.7% + $0.30. If someone in Canada purchases, you will pay 2.9% + $0.30 which is obviously the more desirable option. They'll get something from you either way. If someone outside Canada and the US buys it, you'll pay 3.9% + $0.30 which is the worst scenario.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2910 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Newb seller here. I listed some items on Ebay.ca in CAD , is there a way to conform if items I listed are open to US buyers and it's on ebay.com?

Tried searching my item on ebay.com and i couldn't find it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
5030 posts
2033 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
cbt123 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:58 am
I have a US based ebay account and a Canadian ebay account. I actually prefer listing in US dollars unless promotions like this make it worthwhile, as it seems most of my buyers are from the US. When listing in USD, you pay less paypal fees, and if you have a USD account at RBC in Canada, you can just transfer from PayPal into the USD account without paying any conversion fees. There's threads on RFD about this.

Be aware that if someone in the US purchases your item listed in Canadian dollars, you will pay PayPal fees of 3.7% + $0.30. If someone in Canada purchases, you will pay 2.9% + $0.30 which is obviously the more desirable option. They'll get something from you either way. If someone outside Canada and the US buys it, you'll pay 3.9% + $0.30 which is the worst scenario.
So normally, it is 11.3% final value fee and 4.18% paypal fee plus $0.3 = 15.48% fee + $0.3?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1797 posts
462 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:48 am
So normally, it is 11.3% final value fee and 4.18% paypal fee plus $0.3 = 15.48% fee + $0.3?
Normally it would be a 10% final value fee on item price and on shipping, and they charge GST /HST (depending on where you live) on that 10% now, plus the Paypal fees I listed above, so roughly 13-14% if you're selling to somebody in Canada. With this promo it's $1+tax, plus 10% of whatever you charge for shipping, plus the paypal fees above.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6946 posts
2782 upvotes
Toronto
Irbe wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:38 am
Newb seller here. I listed some items on Ebay.ca in CAD , is there a way to conform if items I listed are open to US buyers and it's on ebay.com?

Tried searching my item on ebay.com and i couldn't find it.
Make sure you add the option for international shipping under "shipping details" (can deselect all regions except US). Should appear on eBay.com.
Jun 19, 2017
26 posts
12 upvotes
Small question, if someone knows, if I selll something and I only have a credit card registered with paypal, will the payment become a credit on my cc, which will make me lose reward points? Thanks in advance
Oct 26, 2016
263 posts
88 upvotes
acheteachete wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:36 pm
Small question, if someone knows, if I selll something and I only have a credit card registered with paypal, will the payment become a credit on my cc, which will make me lose reward points? Thanks in advance
When you sell something on ebay, you will get the money as Paypal Credit. You can then either link a bank account and transfer the paypal credit to your account making it real money, or use the paypal credit to buy something online at various sites that accept paypal, including ebay.

I dont't think you can send it to your credit card.
Jun 19, 2017
26 posts
12 upvotes
d0m056 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:31 pm
When you sell something on ebay, you will get the money as Paypal Credit. You can then either link a bank account and transfer the paypal credit to your account making it real money, or use the paypal credit to buy something online at various sites that accept paypal, including ebay.

I dont't think you can send it to your credit card.
Ok, that's perfect then, thanks a lot I was worried it would be credited to my cc and I would lose reward points, thanks again.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1817 posts
1189 upvotes
Montreal, QC
acheteachete wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:41 pm
Ok, that's perfect then, thanks a lot I was worried it would be credited to my cc and I would lose reward points, thanks again.
For $CDN it's very simple. Keep as balance on paypal and use to pay where paypal is accepted, or transfer balance to a bank account.

For $USD balance be careful. If you transfer to a CDN bank, even if the account is a $USD account, Paypal will convert the amount from $USD to $CDN before they transfer to your bank (since it has a CDN routing number), and then your bank will convert it back to $USD to deposit to your $USD account. So you lose money on both exchanges. It's crazy.

I opened a cross border account with TD (when I was in Florida) and now I can transfer paypal money to my TD account in the USA (and no fees). Then I can call TD cross border services, and transfer any amount without fees to my CDN $USD account at TD here. I usually do that 2 or 3 times a year to get my $USD out of paypal and not pay any fees or lose on the exchange.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
1341 posts
40 upvotes
Activated the promo and listed the items on Ebay.ca, where do I see this "Promotion" page to make sure they qualified ( I posted them around 9pm the final day).

NVM Had to switch to classic view.
Nov 29, 2005
617 posts
1146 upvotes
Surrey
Does anybody know if you revise the pricing of the item (increase/decrease) if that voids the $1 offer for final fee? Thanks.