[eBay.ca] UPS Shipping Discount for eBay Sellers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 8:51 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1952 posts
1961 upvotes
Montreal
I am creating a netparcel account, anyone can provide a referral or coupon code ?

thanks
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7357 posts
3557 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Bessem wrote: I am creating a netparcel account, anyone can provide a referral or coupon code ?

thanks
I dont think they have a referral.

Ebay get rid of Paypal so that they have more control.
For one, you will no be able to stop ebay keep taking money from you if you give them your credit card information.
With paypay, you can disable the authorized payee.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1952 posts
1961 upvotes
Montreal
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I dont think they have a referral.

Ebay get rid of Paypal so that they have more control.
For one, you will no be able to stop ebay keep taking money from you if you give them your credit card information.
With paypay, you can disable the authorized payee.
they do have a referral ( click signup and you will see the form )
anyone before i complete the signup process ?
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1952 posts
1961 upvotes
Montreal
frankmp wrote: EBay needs to cut their final valuation fees, they suck.
someone need to make money, right ?
ebay used to charge you just for placing an auction , with extra on every additional feature , i remember it was only 3 images for free and you pay for any additional image ,
i was charged around 3$ per auction and not guarantee it will sell. ( old time )
now the new logic is charge you 10% of the amount in US$ ( so 13% canadian final fees ) when the item sell.
just avoid selling expensive items to avoid a heart attack ( 130$ selling feed for 1000$ item )
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7357 posts
3557 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Bessem wrote: ..
now the new logic is charge you 10% of the amount in US$ ( so 13% canadian final fees ) when the item sell.
How does that charge even make sense?
If I sell in CAD, they consider that amount USD and charge 10% of it? Are they serious?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45443 posts
5959 upvotes
Richmond Hill
theflyingsquirrel wrote: How does that charge even make sense?
If I sell in CAD, they consider that amount USD and charge 10% of it? Are they serious?
I think Bessem is confused. It's 10% of the total cost in the equivalent of the listing currency if you don't have a store.
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
goat wrote: I always use the PP balance and didn't think much of it, but you bring up a good point

I wonder if we can change the default payment in the settings.

Re: incoming shipments. Is there a reason you use UPS and not USPS? The brokerage is stupid and I don't think you can get around it
It's for an item under $150. It has be either UPS or FEDEX/DHL to be eligible for free duties..

I checked the option and the default is always Paypal balance..
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
Bessem wrote: they do have a referral ( click signup and you will see the form )
anyone before i complete the signup process ?
You are better off using netParcel with Paypal. I've tried it both ways and the rates through Paypal are definitely lower for the same shipment.
Last edited by Resposi on Nov 20th, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: You can set up netParcel with a Paypal agreement so that it always takes it out of your CC via Paypal.
Even when the Paypal account still carrying a balance ? Do you know how to set it up like that ? There's no option in the automatic payment setup in Paypal to change the default payment method away from balance or perhaps you meant through NetParcel ?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1191 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Resposi wrote: Has anyone tried creating a label on Netparcel without an automated Paypal payment ? I have some USD on my account and Paypal will charge that USD balance at a conversion rate of 1.25 (5-6% fees on top of spot rate). It seems that you can't configure an automated payment on Paypal to avoid balance draw as default, so I suppose the best for Canadians with USD balance is to initiate a manual payment on netparcel either with card or Paypal purchase if possible.
I haven't been able to get around this either, so I transfer out my money from PayPal to TransferWise prior to creating the label, so that way NetParcel will charge my cc on file for their fees.

But, if you wanna keep your USD in your PayPal account, you might be SOL.
R.I.P. Prodigy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7357 posts
3557 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
theinfamous wrote: I haven't been able to get around this either, so I transfer out my money from PayPal to TransferWise prior to creating the label, so that way NetParcel will charge my cc on file for their fees.

Not sure if this is useful for you, but you can withdraw to bank with USD to RBC.
https://travelblogbreakthrough.com/cana ... -usd-bank/
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Nov 20th, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1952 posts
1961 upvotes
Montreal
Jon Lai wrote: I think Bessem is confused. It's 10% of the total cost in the equivalent of the listing currency if you don't have a store.
hehe sorry for the confusion, yes , 10% of the total amount applied to the converted currency.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45443 posts
5959 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Resposi wrote: Even when the Paypal account still carrying a balance ? Do you know how to set it up like that ? There's no option in the automatic payment setup in Paypal to change the default payment method away from balance or perhaps you meant through NetParcel ?
Do it through netParcel. Edit billing agreement.
May 8, 2002
812 posts
144 upvotes
theinfamous wrote: I haven't been able to get around this either, so I transfer out my money from PayPal to TransferWise prior to creating the label, so that way NetParcel will charge my cc on file for their fees.

Does TransferWise have good conversion rates? I have been wanting to get my USD balance out of my Paypal account but I hate Paypal's conversion rate!
Oct 19, 2015
999 posts
1381 upvotes
Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote: I haven't found that to be the case, although this was back in the day where I was mostly shipping low weight, small boxes. I used GoShippo mostly due to the Paypal integration but since my eBay activity has dropped, so have my use of GoShippo.

Will try it again next time I ship something bigger.
When you do a cost estimation at CP's Snapship site, they give you before tax value. I found GoShippo to be always cheaper after taxes.
But NetParcel is usually cheaper than GoShippo. Take a look at my research.
Postal_Service_-_Google_Sheets.png
Last edited by fpenguin on Nov 20th, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 7, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
Resposi wrote: I second this too. Netparcel is really hard to beat. I could send a small parcel to US for like 8-9 CAD, tracked and delivered within 5 days which is surreal when Canada Post charges much higher, easily over 15CAD for any tracked parcel. UPS standard also comes with insurance of up to 100CAD for free.

The issue I am having with UPS is with their exorbitant brokerage fees for incoming shipments to Canada. Has anyone tried getting a better deals on the brokerage fees ?

Has anyone tried creating a label on Netparcel without an automated Paypal payment ? I have some USD on my account and Paypal will charge that USD balance at a conversion rate of 1.25 (5-6% fees on top of spot rate). It seems that you can't configure an automated payment on Paypal to avoid balance draw as default, so I suppose the best for Canadians with USD balance is to initiate a manual payment on netparcel either with card or Paypal purchase if possible.
There is a way around the brokerage fees which these companies don't want you to know about. Looking specifically at UPS and DHL ..... But here in Canada we have the option of brokeraging our own parcels.

I actually just did this recently after wondering the same thing. The parcel which was being shipped from the U.S to me in Toronto cost about $140 and UPS wanted to tack on $70 or 50% of the value of the parcel as a brokerage fee. I wasn't going to have it. So I searched up the process of brokeraging it myself which isn't overly difficult.

The process can be broken down into a few steps

#1 call up ups and tell them that you intend to broker the parcel yourself and that you are requesting the paperwork that is necessary to do that.

2# Take the paperwork to the nearest Canada Border Service Agency office. (In Toronto the nearest location is about 5 minutes or so from Pearson airport, for others across the country you'd have to search up your closest location)

3# Pay the taxes that you owe on the parcel. In my case it was like $15 which is what I was expecting. At that point the CBSA will stamp your forms indicating that you have paid your taxes owing on the parcel.

4# Fax or take a good quality picture of the documents and send them to ups. (The email/fax number will be given to you on the documents you recieved from ups)

5# Wait approximately a day or two for confirmation of receipt of those documents by ups and your item will be delivered to you the next day without any scummy brokerage fees.

Overall the process was really easy and straightforward and to save myself $70 and the satisfaction of not giving that money to ups was worth my time. Now if the fee was like $10-15 I probably would have eaten it but at that amount they incentivized me to do it myself. Hopefully this helps someone here in the future.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1191 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Not sure if this is useful for you, but you can withdraw to bank with USD to RBC.
The Kid wrote: Does TransferWise have good conversion rates? I have been wanting to get my USD balance out of my Paypal account but I hate Paypal's conversion rate!
I have an RBC USD account, but because it is from their Canadian banking side, not RBC US, PayPal now converts my USD automatically into CAD if I try to transfer it (at their crappy exchange rate, taking even more % off my money)...which is BS. In the past, I was able to send my USD from PayPal to my RBC USD account without any conversion taking place.

Now, I send my USD from PayPal to my TransferWise account for free, then transfer it from the TW account to my RBC USD account here. TW only charges maybe $1USD per transaction, which is great and the lowest rate I've been able to find. It takes about 1 day to get from PayPal to TW, then another day from TW to my RBC USD account.
R.I.P. Prodigy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7357 posts
3557 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Did you try login to paypal->Wallet->click on your cc and on the right hand side "Preferred when paying online"?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1191 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Did you try login to paypal->Wallet->click on your cc and on the right hand side "Preferred when paying online"?
Yep, but it always takes the money from my balance regardless, so my only workaround so far has been to move my balance out right away.
R.I.P. Prodigy
May 8, 2012
394 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
Crasso wrote: There is a way around the brokerage fees which these companies don't want you to know about. Looking specifically at UPS and DHL ..... But here in Canada we have the option of brokeraging our own parcels.

I actually just did this recently after wondering the same thing. The parcel which was being shipped from the U.S to me in Toronto cost about $140 and UPS wanted to tack on $70 or 50% of the value of the parcel as a brokerage fee. I wasn't going to have it. So I searched up the process of brokeraging it myself which isn't overly difficult.

The process can be broken down into a few steps

#1 call up ups and tell them that you intend to broker the parcel yourself and that you are requesting the paperwork that is necessary to do that.

2# Take the paperwork to the nearest Canada Border Service Agency office. (In Toronto the nearest location is about 5 minutes or so from Pearson airport, for others across the country you'd have to search up your closest location)

3# Pay the taxes that you owe on the parcel. In my case it was like $15 which is what I was expecting. At that point the CBSA will stamp your forms indicating that you have paid your taxes owing on the parcel.

4# Fax or take a good quality picture of the documents and send them to ups. (The email/fax number will be given to you on the documents you recieved from ups)

5# Wait approximately a day or two for confirmation of receipt of those documents by ups and your item will be delivered to you the next day without any scummy brokerage fees.

Overall the process was really easy and straightforward and to save myself $70 and the satisfaction of not giving that money to ups was worth my time. Now if the fee was like $10-15 I probably would have eaten it but at that amount they incentivized me to do it myself. Hopefully this helps someone here in the future.

Indeed, you can do this, but it's much easier to just not use UPS for incoming international shipments.