Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] UPS Shipping Discount for eBay Sellers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 8:51 pm
May 8, 2012
394 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
The Kid wrote: Does TransferWise have good conversion rates? I have been wanting to get my USD balance out of my Paypal account but I hate Paypal's conversion rate!
Much better than Paypal. I use them, but the better rate costs you some time, since you have to withdraw your Paypal balance to your Transferwise account, and then withdraw from Transferwise to your Canadian account.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7357 posts
3557 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
theinfamous wrote: Yep, but it always takes the money from my balance regardless, so my only workaround so far has been to move my balance out right away.
Yeah take money out right away. Dont let them keep your money and make interest with your money.
May be I should set up a transferwise account.
I rarely sell in ebay nowadays since the crazy fee and not much traffic.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Do it through netParcel. Edit billing agreement.
Interesting. Do you mind sharing the exact procedures to set it up ? I could enable/disable the current automated payment on Paypal but there's no option on NetParcel's website. The setting page under my name only provides options for like language, units of measurements, ..etc.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45441 posts
5959 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Resposi wrote: Interesting. Do you mind sharing the exact procedures to set it up ? I could enable/disable the current automated payment on Paypal but there's no option on NetParcel's website. The setting page under my name only provides options for like language, units of measurements, ..etc.
Go to My Account, Account / Payment tab.

You should see an Edit button beside "My Payment Information".
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Go to My Account, Account / Payment tab.

You should see an Edit button beside "My Payment Information".
Okay, I tried the "Edit Payment Information" with Paypal and other cards. After choosing Paypal and select a credit card within the Paypal checkout menu, that billing ID shows up on the list of automated payment on my Paypal account.

This shows up under payment method on Paypal:
"Payment method
We’ll use your balance first. Then we'll use:
VISA
Credit xxx"

Did I pick the wrong option and should have gone with the VISA/MC/AMEX icon on NetParcel's site ?
Nov 25, 2008
38 posts
Crasso wrote: There is a way around the brokerage fees which these companies don't want you to know about. Looking specifically at UPS and DHL ..... But here in Canada we have the option of brokeraging our own parcels.

I actually just did this recently after wondering the same thing. The parcel which was being shipped from the U.S to me in Toronto cost about $140 and UPS wanted to tack on $70 or 50% of the value of the parcel as a brokerage fee. I wasn't going to have it. So I searched up the process of brokeraging it myself which isn't overly difficult.

The process can be broken down into a few steps

#1 call up ups and tell them that you intend to broker the parcel yourself and that you are requesting the paperwork that is necessary to do that.

2# Take the paperwork to the nearest Canada Border Service Agency office. (In Toronto the nearest location is about 5 minutes or so from Pearson airport, for others across the country you'd have to search up your closest location)

3# Pay the taxes that you owe on the parcel. In my case it was like $15 which is what I was expecting. At that point the CBSA will stamp your forms indicating that you have paid your taxes owing on the parcel.

4# Fax or take a good quality picture of the documents and send them to ups. (The email/fax number will be given to you on the documents you recieved from ups)

5# Wait approximately a day or two for confirmation of receipt of those documents by ups and your item will be delivered to you the next day without any scummy brokerage fees.

Overall the process was really easy and straightforward and to save myself $70 and the satisfaction of not giving that money to ups was worth my time. Now if the fee was like $10-15 I probably would have eaten it but at that amount they incentivized me to do it myself. Hopefully this helps someone here in the future.
Have you done this recently? I am attempting to do it for the first time and the process seems to be the same as everything you are saying (and others online) except that UPS is telling me that they will not deliver my package to me if I clear it myself, stating that "you need to be present at the port when clearing a package yourself". This would add additional effort on my part as now I would need to go to my CBSA office to clear the package and then to the shipping port near the airport to pick up my package. Still worth the $100 in savings, but lots of effort.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1249 posts
952 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dills wrote: Have you done this recently? I am attempting to do it for the first time and the process seems to be the same as everything you are saying (and others online) except that UPS is telling me that they will not deliver my package to me if I clear it myself, stating that "you need to be present at the port when clearing a package yourself". This would add additional effort on my part as now I would need to go to my CBSA office to clear the package and then to the shipping port near the airport to pick up my package. Still worth the $100 in savings, but lots of effort.

Thanks!
If you give them the documentation to clear it then they MUST deliver it to you, it is no different between you clearing it or them clearing it. The gov't wants their money and UPS shouldn't tell you they can't deliver it if you don't pay their ridiculous brokerage fee, I also think it's against the law for them to not allow you to self-clear.
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
Crasso wrote: There is a way around the brokerage fees which these companies don't want you to know about. Looking specifically at UPS and DHL ..... But here in Canada we have the option of brokeraging our own parcels.

I actually just did this recently after wondering the same thing. The parcel which was being shipped from the U.S to me in Toronto cost about $140 and UPS wanted to tack on $70 or 50% of the value of the parcel as a brokerage fee. I wasn't going to have it. So I searched up the process of brokeraging it myself which isn't overly difficult.

The process can be broken down into a few steps

#1 call up ups and tell them that you intend to broker the parcel yourself and that you are requesting the paperwork that is necessary to do that.

2# Take the paperwork to the nearest Canada Border Service Agency office. (In Toronto the nearest location is about 5 minutes or so from Pearson airport, for others across the country you'd have to search up your closest location)

3# Pay the taxes that you owe on the parcel. In my case it was like $15 which is what I was expecting. At that point the CBSA will stamp your forms indicating that you have paid your taxes owing on the parcel.

4# Fax or take a good quality picture of the documents and send them to ups. (The email/fax number will be given to you on the documents you recieved from ups)

5# Wait approximately a day or two for confirmation of receipt of those documents by ups and your item will be delivered to you the next day without any scummy brokerage fees.

Overall the process was really easy and straightforward and to save myself $70 and the satisfaction of not giving that money to ups was worth my time. Now if the fee was like $10-15 I probably would have eaten it but at that amount they incentivized me to do it myself. Hopefully this helps someone here in the future.
Thanks for the guide. How did UPS come up with that much brokerage fees ? Their site lists a brokerage fees of about $26 for parcel valued at $100-150.

Has anyone done this in Vancouver ? There is a CBSA office on Main street but would like to hear if someone has actually self-declare a parcel at that office.
Sep 7, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
Dills wrote: Have you done this recently? I am attempting to do it for the first time and the process seems to be the same as everything you are saying (and others online) except that UPS is telling me that they will not deliver my package to me if I clear it myself, stating that "you need to be present at the port when clearing a package yourself". This would add additional effort on my part as now I would need to go to my CBSA office to clear the package and then to the shipping port near the airport to pick up my package. Still worth the $100 in savings, but lots of effort.

Thanks!
I had to do this on October 26th of this year so a month and a bit ago. What UPS is saying is an outright lie and as someone else mentioned it's actually illegal for them to do that. The Canadian government just wants their tax money and UPS can't withhold your package. I'd recommend just calling again and getting in touch with another Customer service rep as I had to call a second time when the first person tried to mislead/scare me out of clearing my own parcel. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Sep 7, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
Resposi wrote: Thanks for the guide. How did UPS come up with that much brokerage fees ? Their site lists a brokerage fees of about $26 for parcel valued at $100-150.

Has anyone done this in Vancouver ? There is a CBSA office on Main street but would like to hear if someone has actually self-declare a parcel at that office.
You're welcome for the guide, I hope it comes in handy and can help save someone money. As for your question I asked them that exact question when I called them... It seemed crazy that for a parcel that I paid $25 shipping and a value of less than $200 and was delivered in a couple days had a broker charge of over $70. Their lame excuse was that there were significantly larger costs for ground transportation and that next time I should do air shipping even though it arrived in 2 days. Hope that helps. As for Vancouver hopefully someone can chime in and help you out as this was my experience from Toronto.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4822 posts
2557 upvotes
I've been selling on eBay since the pandemic to declutter at home.

Mini tidbits
1. Canada Post is almost never the best, except for letter mail and oversize letter mail (no tracking on either).
2. Netparcel (UPS) is the cheapest for a majority of shipment types to Canada or the US with the exception of...
3. ChitChats is usually better for smaller (tracked) bubble mailers within Canada.
4. If you're out west, it's cheaper to ship to Florida than it is to Toronto, I actually have to hike the rates for Canadians and tempted to do away with shipping within Canada entirely because of eastern buyers and Nova Scotia in particular (sorry, pricier).
5. Don't ship to PO boxes, unverified addresses for costlier items, Hawaii, Alaska, Nunavut, NWT, Yukon (<--pricier) and often Russia, Turkey, Brazil (scammier).
6. Start/end your auctions on Sunday around 9pm EST or a bit earlier.
7. Auctions almost guarantee the sale, but you often get less overall.
8. Some of the stupidest shit toys from your childhood you have lying around in a basement or something could be worth a lot, but the things you think might be worth a lot are often worth very little.
9. Use the advanced search feature, look up items, tick the SOLD button to help you with pricing.
10. If you get into the reselling business and enjoy thrift stores, use the ebay app and in the search it has a barcode scan feature.
Aug 27, 2016
156 posts
135 upvotes
Crasso wrote: You're welcome for the guide, I hope it comes in handy and can help save someone money. As for your question I asked them that exact question when I called them... It seemed crazy that for a parcel that I paid $25 shipping and a value of less than $200 and was delivered in a couple days had a broker charge of over $70. Their lame excuse was that there were significantly larger costs for ground transportation and that next time I should do air shipping even though it arrived in 2 days. Hope that helps. As for Vancouver hopefully someone can chime in and help you out as this was my experience from Toronto.
Did you have to show some proof of purchase at CBSA office ? I realize the package is not at CBSA so they cannot access its waybill/invoice that's usually attached onto international package.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1442 posts
588 upvotes
Midland
RiCHC3 wrote: I've been selling on eBay since the pandemic to declutter at home.

Mini tidbits
1. Canada Post is almost never the best, except for letter mail and oversize letter mail (no tracking on either).
2. Netparcel (UPS) is the cheapest for a majority of shipment types to Canada or the US with the exception of...
3. ChitChats is usually better for smaller (tracked) bubble mailers within Canada.
4. If you're out west, it's cheaper to ship to Florida than it is to Toronto, I actually have to hike the rates for Canadians and tempted to do away with shipping within Canada entirely because of eastern buyers and Nova Scotia in particular (sorry, pricier).
5. Don't ship to PO boxes, unverified addresses for costlier items, Hawaii, Alaska, Nunavut, NWT, Yukon (<--pricier) and often Russia, Turkey, Brazil (scammier).
6. Start/end your auctions on Sunday around 9pm EST or a bit earlier.
7. Auctions almost guarantee the sale, but you often get less overall.
8. Some of the stupidest shit toys from your childhood you have lying around in a basement or something could be worth a lot, but the things you think might be worth a lot are often worth very little.
9. Use the advanced search feature, look up items, tick the SOLD button to help you with pricing.
10. If you get into the reselling business and enjoy thrift stores, use the ebay app and in the search it has a barcode scan feature.
Thanks for the helpful tips. is it true that ebay no longer uses paypal?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4822 posts
2557 upvotes
joe2k1 wrote: Thanks for the helpful tips. is it true that ebay no longer uses paypal?
eBay and Paypal separated awhile ago as they used to be part of the same company, but they're still integrated. eBay is slowly moving away from paypal and has something called "managed payments" coming, but it's primarily for sellers to get money straight to their bank account and skip Paypal all together. Saves on a couple Paypal fees for sellers, not much though. The managed payments system hasn't really rolled out in Canada though, mostly just the US.

I'm guessing buyers will still be able to use paypal, similar to how you can use paypal on bestbuy or other retail sites.
Sep 7, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
Resposi wrote: Did you have to show some proof of purchase at CBSA office ? I realize the package is not at CBSA so they cannot access its waybill/invoice that's usually attached onto international package.
Yes so all the necessary documents that the cbsa will need like the bill etc, you'll receive from ups when you call in requesting to broker your own parcel. You take those to the cbsa and pay the applicable taxes to them. At that point they stamp your documents and print you out a receipt that you email back to ups and at that point ups will release your parcel and you should receive it the following business day or two.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12361 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
man i miss those days where they did the $1 final fee thing. But again it was a shit show as people and myself were complaining that we were still charge final fee even though we activated the deal.

Customer service was next to useless.
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure