Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.16.11 AM.png
21 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1100 posts
2435 upvotes
Fredericton
How does one get on a mailing list for these promotional emails?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7392 posts
8081 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
life359 wrote: How does one get on a mailing list for these promotional emails?
These codes are totally random. Judging by the email OP hasn't bought anything in awhile.

Unfortunately it looks like they've kind of...ceased the general $ off coupons they were sending out before (which is super disappointing, I have so much random stuff I use that I never would have bought without those)
Apr 20, 2005
473 posts
214 upvotes
Definitely only for accounts that haven't bought anything in a while, I received a $5 (off 5.01+) and a $10 (off 20+) in the last few weeks
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1100 posts
2435 upvotes
Fredericton
chemicalxv wrote: These codes are totally random. Judging by the email OP hasn't bought anything in awhile.
Except they can't just randomly email you codes to buy something if you haven't given consent to receive marking emails (CASL). So where does one sign up?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1543 posts
1332 upvotes
Can someone explain these posts? I mean if you only get the deal if you get the email than everyone who is eligible already knows so why post it in hot deals forum?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6580 posts
1197 upvotes
slayerwulf wrote: Can someone explain these posts? I mean if you only get the deal if you get the email than everyone who is eligible already knows so why post it in hot deals forum?
I got the coupon but I didn't receive any email,
it's hidden in eBay message expires in 2 days.
thanked OP.
It's not random, if you haven't used your account to buy anything in awhile chances are you will get one of these
[OP]
May 28, 2013
162 posts
177 upvotes
slayerwulf wrote: Can someone explain these posts? I mean if you only get the deal if you get the email than everyone who is eligible already knows so why post it in hot deals forum?
I was only hoping to help those out who maybe were unaware to the promo. You are right that some may have received the email like myself but I personally don't always read them. They get deleted right away and I assume some may use secondary email accounts which are not checked frequently. I do recognize your point though.

I was sharing with positive intent to help those who would be eligible as I mentioned in my post "YMMV". My apologies if I incorrectly shared this in the wrong forum.
Feb 16, 2007
280 posts
219 upvotes
rsg1010 wrote: I was only hoping to help those out who maybe were unaware to the promo. You are right that some may have received the email like myself but I personally don't always read them. They get deleted right away and I assume some may use secondary email accounts which are not checked frequently. I do recognize your point though.

I was sharing with positive intent to help those who would be eligible as I mentioned in my post "YMMV". My apologies if I incorrectly shared this in the wrong forum.
Keep posting, people who give this post grief are the one's ruining this forum.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7392 posts
8081 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
life359 wrote: Except they can't just randomly email you codes to buy something if you haven't given consent to receive marking emails (CASL). So where does one sign up?
If you've ever bought anything from ebay within the last two years you've given them consent to send you marketing emails.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1543 posts
1332 upvotes
BLeagues wrote: Keep posting, people who give this post grief are the one's ruining this forum.
I just don't think they belong in hot deals. Should go to a sub forum just for exclusive email deals.
May 22, 2013
92 posts
82 upvotes
I never get emails for these promotions either but they do some times show up on the eBay page banner or in messages
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7933 posts
4643 upvotes
Montreal
Some of us MIGHT have a eBay account with some email account that we seldom check.

My wife, girl and boy all have their own eBay account that they manage themselves... sure sure .
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1543 posts
1332 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote: Some of us MIGHT have a eBay account with some email account that we seldom check.

My wife, girl and boy all have their own eBay account that they manage themselves... sure sure .
Perfect, so if your curious you could check the ongoing ymmv ebay thread, no?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1100 posts
2435 upvotes
Fredericton
chemicalxv wrote: If you've ever bought anything from ebay within the last two years you've given them consent to send you marketing emails.
Nope. That's not how explicit consent works. If they're doing that, they should be reported and they will be fined if they continue to do so.
Mar 19, 2008
583 posts
645 upvotes
life359 wrote: How does one get on a mailing list for these promotional emails?
If you're using the eBay app, go to Settings (from the triple bar - upper left in Android) - Notifications - and make sure the Rewards and Offers box is checked.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7392 posts
8081 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
life359 wrote: Nope. That's not how explicit consent works. If they're doing that, they should be reported and they will be fined if they continue to do so.
You're not fully reading the legislation, and missing the entire section on implied consent. It's literally in there that if you have an "existing business relation", an example of which is if someone purchased something from you (a business) within the last two years, that you are allowed to send CEMs.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1948 posts
1476 upvotes
slayerwulf wrote: Perfect, so if your curious you could check the ongoing ymmv ebay thread, no?
You could also ignore the threads that say YMMV and move along to the next one, no?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)